Koh-i-Noor

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by fozz77, Aug 26, 2009.

1. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Has anyone tried these brushes? And whats the low down?

2. rickboone

rickboone Member

Don't they make other products as well? Like tooth and hair brushes, and other metal grooming essentials?

Do you have a site to purchase their products? Hard to find.

But, to answer you, I have not tried them.

3. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Theyre italian and as Boreal and Omega are good quality brushes.

4. SandBaggerOne

SandBaggerOne New Member

I was wondering the same thing. I am particularly interested in the Koh-I-Noor SC68. I saw in an older thread that two members had purchased this brush and I wondered what their impressions were.

PS I'm a newbie here, about a month into DE shaving but a life-long wetshaver. Hi everyone.

Cheers,
    Colin

5. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Hi there, Colin ;)

Welcome to TSD and enjoy your stay :D

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

First off Colin, Welcome to The Shave Den! A great community of guys and gals that enjoy wet shaving, I hope you enjoy your stay!

Be sure to sign up for the September Newbie Give-Away for a chance to win some great shave gear!

While its not required, how about you hop over to the Newbies Section and give yourself a proper introduction thread, I'm sure you'll receive many warm welcomes from the friendly folks of this community.

7. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Welcome aboard Colin, hope you enjoy the ride. You are in a good spot to get advice on anything wet shaving.

I received my sc68 last night. I lathered up some Kellsoriginal soap two or three times. It is a nice brush, it is going to take some time to break in, as is normal with a boar brush.

If you are looking at getting boar brush(s) some good brands to consider are; Semogue, Boreal, Omega or Koh i Noor. There are other brands but i cannot comment on them.

Good luck!

8. SandBaggerOne

SandBaggerOne New Member

Thanks fozz, knowing it is not yet broken in, how does it compare to your experience with Semogue and other quality boar brushes?

Cheers,
    Colin

9. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Equally as good. As far as value for money, build quality goes anyway.

I definately recommend the 1305 to anyone considerring getting boar. If you prefer a bigger brush then the 2000 or Omega professional range or koh i Noor professional or Boreal professional.

Vulfix boars are well liked by members on here too.

10. Razor&Pens

Razor&Pens New Member

Shoeboxshaveshop.com sells their brushes.

11. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

and vintagescents.com sell Semogue's, load up man! :D

12. Zach

Zach New Member

This brush has finer bristle, and more densely packed bristle, than any of the other brushes listed here; it is closest with the Boreal version of the Pro line than the Omega. That being said, its a far better brush than the Boreal Pro which has much stiffer and less useful bristle; since it has finer hair it holds more liquid than a thicker haired brush like the 2000 or the 48, and you have to adjust accordingly. The handle is identical to the 48 Pro, as if cast from the same mold, but it's made of metal, and it's heftier and more satisfying to hold, if you don't mind the aluminum color.

Overall, a very good brush.

13. SandBaggerOne

SandBaggerOne New Member

Thanks, Zach. That does make it sound appealing. How is the size working out for you? How wide is it after blooming? Are you a mug/bowl or face latherer?

Cheers,
    Colin

14. Zach

Zach New Member

Colin, I don't mind a big brush, and so I like its size a lot.
    I face lather, primarily, but I do load up soap in a bowl; I don't make lather, like others do, I load the brush up with a lot of soap, and then lather on my face. To me, the process of 'lathering' means taking the soap you have, whipping air into it, and making foam; that doesn't work for me. I like to load as much soap as possible into the brush, and take all that soap to my face, and make lather there. It ends up being a lot thicker and gives me a better shave with an aggressive razor, blade, and technique, all of which I prefer.

It's a good brush; there's nothing bad about it, I like it a lot.

15. SandBaggerOne

SandBaggerOne New Member

Thanks, Zach, I think I'll pick one up, along with a smaller boar as well for some variety. I'm thinking either a Semogue 1305 or 1520.

Cheers,
    Colin

16. planf

planf New Member

The Koh-I-Noor brush maker is Italian, but they were once related with the Czech Koh-I-Noor which does lead holders and pencils.

Shameless thread hijack

... Have I ever mentioned my gold plated Toison D'or 5900? That lead holder alone can make my handwriting 300% prettier.

17. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

i was just gonna ask about their relation. I drove by the factory once on my way to Cesky krumluv.

18. glassmtn

glassmtn Member

I echo Zach's comments, and will add that I think the handle is very comfortable to hold, but it is a little industrial looking. I think it is preferable to the plastic Omega handles, but it is not a thing of beauty. Also at $29 it is a little expensive for a boar brush. That said, I do very much like it, but would opt for the Semogue 2000 if I were to own just one boar brush. But then again, who owns just one??

eric.

19. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Here Here. This brush is going to be a great brush.