Finnaly ready to buy... well almost, need help deciding!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by CSBudzi, Aug 29, 2009.

1. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

Brand new member to TSD and the straight shaving world. I am ready to click the buy button for my first straight razor. But the more I read the more indecisive I seem to get. I know I definitely want a vintage at some point, probably several. Though I heard it is often easier to learn with a New Razor, is this true?
    If I go vintage RupRazors. has a mighty fine selection. Though my heart was a little set on a Wapi, but the price and availability has soared up there in the $120's. At that price I could get a brand new Dovo Prima, or a Dovo "Special" from a site like this http://www.royalshave.com/c/straight_razors/ or this http://www.knifecenter.com

So I guess I'm asking this. 1 Is it easier to learn with a new or vintage blade, or no difference.
    2 Is a Wapieneca at $115 a better buy versus a Brand New Dovo Best Quality at $80 or a Dovo Prima or Dovo "Special" for roughly the same cost as a Wapi?

2. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

3. JimR

JimR Active Member

Bram's link looks good, I don't know much about the vendor but I vaguely recall he's a member here...

As for your final question, no--I don't think a Wapi at $115 is a better razor than a Dovo. They're good, and I do love mine, but it's not superior. For that kind of money you can get some great, great vintage razors. Heck, for that kind of money I could sell you TWO good razors.

4. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

Gelf Lover I did try that place but they are out of stock you can't tell till you click add to cart then you get the message. That site was the first place I tried to buy one from. Tanks for looking though, I do greatly appreciate it.

JimR Well if you are serious about selling me razors, I'm listening PM me. Like I mention above Ruprazor.com has some good ones I think. He is a member here too I think, and has been extremely helpful to me answering a lot of questions for me.
    Though I still am curious if it is better to learn on a new opposed to a vintage.

5. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

The Gold Dollar Razor and Filly Strop that Ken sells at ruprazor is a nice deal if you prefer a new razor.

6. JimR

JimR Active Member

Hmmm...I might have something looking for a new face. Let me check my stock. Or you can check it at the link to my shave drawer in my sig. See anything that catches your eye, PM me. Some things are mine til I die, but some are flexible.

As for new vs. vintage, I can't imagine why it would make any difference. Did you read that somewhere? I'd be interested to know, if there is a difference. Most of what I've heard is that vintage stuff has better steel and often better workmanship than new, but I don't know that that's true--I have a new razor that is fantastic on both counts, I think.

And Ken at RupRazors is a great guy to deal with. Not only does he have good product, he takes care of his customers--can't go wrong with him.

7. Leighton

Leighton New Member

I think a vintage razor is not only a better value for your money, but is just as easy to learn with. The only thing the new razors have that the vintage ones don't is modern plastic. Maybe some other stuff, but I can't think of anything else.

8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Where is a $115 Wapi ?????

I gotta see one....

9. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    BTW it is easier to learn with a "Shave Ready" razor, New or Vintage has really no effect at all....

Just make sure you trust that it is ready to shave right out of the package,
    "NO STROPPING" only very reputable established Honemiester's will make this claim, because then the sharpness of the edge rests on their shoulders not your newbie ability to strop the razor to ready....

10. Leighton

Leighton New Member

11. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    TY Leighton...

I saw the one on e-bay but figured that was just two people that didn't know better.... :happy102

I am just not going to open my big mouth any farther on prices that certain razors are bringing.... :eek:

12. Leighton

Leighton New Member

Certainly does appear that way. I do wonder if that razor actually sold or if the buyer realized his gargantuan mistake and backed out in the end.

On a related note, didn't someone on SRP find a few dozen of the Wapis? I remember he was looking for people to hone them for him. Wonder what happened to that shipment.

13. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

There is a site selling, granted they are rescaled. Nice wood but nothing head turning http://www.fendrihan.com/straight-razors-wapienica-c-22_92.html they are 127 Canadian so 115-116ish US Dollar. There you have it not a auction. Supply and Demand in action.

14. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Far be it from me to tell you how to spend (waste) your money...

Actually heck with it, if ya want to try a straight razor I am pretty sure I have one you can just have... I will hone it up for you and send it out, if you like it fine keep it and have fun, if you don't then just promise to pass it forward to another person...

PM me if yer interested...

15. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

That is an awesome offer:happy088:happy088.

16. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

Holy crap that is such a huge help I don't know what to say other then this is another great example of how amazing everyone here is and how easy they make it find out everything you need to know. Thank You Thank You Thank You.
    I'm a believer of pay it forward(and back) so anyone else reading this please PM me if you want to try straights before you buy, or if you know anyone that wants to try straights.

17. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    I am posting this here so you have the info forever....

The razor is a 6/8 Hortense Razor Co Hollow grind Square point made in Sheffield Eng. I couldn't find more info on the company but maybe someone else has it, and will post here...

18. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Nice job, Glen! :happy096 That was class thing to do.

19. Sailor

Sailor New Member

Square points scare me. I can just see myself slicing into my cheek with one.

20. JimR

JimR Active Member

The ears are more of a problem in my experience. I'm pretty sure Van Gogh was just a careless straight user. ;)