Has anyone tried Dalvey Soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Sabre, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Dalvey or Grants of Dalvey, based in Scotland have an aloe vera/almond oil shaving soap. I would be interested if anyone had tried it? There aren't any reviews :(.

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I can honestly say I have never heard of it till now, sorry.

Maybe one of our U.K. or Scottish members will chime in here shortly.

3. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Neither had I until this evening, I saw the product on a UK suppliers website.
    Googled and found the Dalvey's site.

http://www.dalvey.com/dalvey_shaving.html

4. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Well now, after drawing a total blank on a search for it myself, my curiosity is piqued now too. :)

5. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

A bagpipe manufacturer (Grants)... not the best, but "up there" - their soap is almost certainly contract manufactured. I'll see if I can find out more in the week.

6. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Hi Sabre,

I just looked on the site (and it wasn't easy to get it to work properly). While the soap at GB£7.50 (US$12.23) is on a par with other high end soaps, the shave bowl, at GB£55.00 (US$89.65) seems extortionate. Unless I knew the soap was absolutely top notch, I wouldn't be tempted to buy it. The whole site seems more interested in snob appeal than anything else. Their soap may, indeed, be excellent but I'd want more word of mouth and reviews before spending my money. ;)

7. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

:signs001

8. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

My thoughts too, and the website has a brand tab and a heritage tab which states a fascinating brand heritage, why brand? why not just heritage :rolleyes:

9. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

Just as a by-the-way - the Gentleman's Shop in Hungerford also sells the stuff - same prices.

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I never heard from this soap. :o

11. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

That's where I spotted it :D

12. freddy88

freddy88 Member

I don't think a lot of us have, Jeff. I'm in Scotland every summer and have never seen it.

13. crackstar

Yes, there is a soap, in fact, there are others as well.

14. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Hmmm, well I have ordered a Floris instead.

15. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Sabre, I brought back a Floris No. 89 shave soap from Scotland. I have not been able to get a decent lather out of it for love or money. I shall continue to try, though.

16. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

:eek:

Unless you looked at my medicine cabinet, that's the one I ordered. :signs081

17. crackstar

I think I heard again from this soap from someone at Gut Rasiert--I will check again.

18. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Sabre, it is supposed to have a decent reputation. It's possible that I don't have the water to soap ratio right. I also live in a hard water area, which doesn't help. Don't get discouraged. Just because I'm having trouble doesn't mean you will. :D

19. Spirit_of_76

Spirit_of_76 Yardley Ninja

20. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Alex,

Thanks for a very informative review. I shall have to keep a lookout for the Arran Aromatics soap the next time I'm in Scotland.

I'm not surprised about your somewhat negative thoughts on the Dalvey soap. Their site is more about an image rather than the quality of the product.