RIP 100W incandescent light bulbs

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Lyrt, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Most of you don’t care, but since the First of September in France, it is easier to find cocaine, illegal aliens or fireworks mortars to shoot police officers than 100W incandescent light bulbs. I bought ten of them last month. :( But I do like spiral fluorescent lights.

Attached Files:

2. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

Same here - but frankly as an invention the incandescent bulb has made it's mark. The Compact Fluorescent is a stop gap - in 10 years time we'll all have something else (perhaps LED?) even more efficient. I get the feeling that the manufacturers are holding back on LED because they know that they last for tens of thousands of power-on hours so you'll buy one set in your lifetime.

3. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

luckily they give these bulbs away at some events here.

4. riffin

riffin Active Member

I've seen LED bulbs on the market here in the US.

5. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

They're on the market here - but only CFLs get pushed.

6. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Very similar in the USA in terms of the LEDs. At least we can still by incandescent bulbs for lights with dimmers. I have CFL bulbs in 90% of my house, but incandescent bulbs in the dinning room where I have a dimmer switch, and in bathrooms so you see a more true color in the mirror.

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Yukio, how much do those bulbs cost in France? I hear they cost quite a lot.

9. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Salut Jeff ! Compte une trentaine d’euros pour l’équivalent de 50W. La plus puissante ampoule à LED que j’ai vue coûtait 37 euros pour l’équivalent de 75W.

10. riffin

riffin Active Member

The are CFL for dimmer, but... they're expensive and the ones I tried died faster than an incandescent. I use incandescent in the bathroom as well. I think the humidity did in the CFL. The same bulbs last ages in other lights arount the house.

11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Ah, merci Yukio. Ca fait longtemps, mon vieux! :)

12. rsay

rsay New Member

I wouldn't mind the extra money for the CFLs if they actually lasted like they claim. I put in about 20 around my house 3 months ago that were rated at something ridiculous like 10000 hrs and I have already had 3 burn out.