A Soapmaker's Quest: A decent wholesale brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by SoaperAmI, Sep 4, 2009.

1. SoaperAmI

SoaperAmI New Member

Hello All!

I'm a soap maker who is on a quest. I make a really nice shaving soap, and want to offer a better brush with my sets for my customers -- as well as replacement brushes for previous customers.

I'm having trouble finding an economical brush - wholesale - that is still a decent brush. The cheap ones just aren't that great of a brush. The problem there is if I go too expensive wholesale wise, no one will purchase it retail from me!

I'm here hoping for ideas and suggestions... from the source! A forum of shaving connoisseurs! I'm all ears.

Thanks for having me, and I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

2. JimR

JimR Active Member

Welcome to the den! I would suggest you talk either to a small brush maker like Penchetta, or someone like Omega.

Omega supplies lots of companies, so they are used to dealing with sets/rebranding, and their retail prices are so small that I'm sure their wholesale prices are affordable. They do have English speaking staff, so it's a real possibility.

3. SoaperAmI

SoaperAmI New Member

Thanks Jim, for the welcome to the board. :) Glad to be here. I'm sure I'll learn a lot that can enhance my shaving soap.

I'll check out Omega to find if they have wholesale available in small quantities. If not, might have to put together a co-op with other soap makers and order whatever their required lot is.

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I would take a look at the Omega boars, unless you are specifically looking for badger.

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

These guys have it right, Omega boar brushes are the least expensive high performance brush. The less expensive models can be found retail under $10, I've seen them as low as $8.

6. krissy

krissy New Member

I agree, it wouldn't hurt to talk to Tony, not sure if he would sell wholesale but his brushes are awesome. Without paying for added extra cost of buying a brand name. Although my brush is from the penworks line,
    www.penworks.us

7. SoaperAmI

SoaperAmI New Member

I need wholesale pricing, for sure - as I turn around and sell my product line at retail. ;)

I've sent an email to Omega. :D

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Welcome here with us! :)

9. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Welcome!
    Good luck on your quest.

10. SoaperAmI

SoaperAmI New Member

Imagine a friend being here!!! ::::waving at soapbuddy:::: It's Becca/SoapMom! ;)

11. xChris

xChris Member

For badger brushes, I believe Altesse have been used by vendors before. Just posting that as another potential option for you to look at.

12. SoaperAmI

SoaperAmI New Member

Thanks xChris. I'll see if I can find a link for them. All potential wholesale suggestions will be explored. ;)

13. soapbuddy

Hi Becca! Waving right back at you.

14. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Vulfix has a few well priced badgers.. Also Muehle has a budget line with very nicely priced badgers..

15. SoaperAmI

SoaperAmI New Member

Dragonboy -- I'm looking for wholesale pricing. Thanks!

16. soapbuddy

17. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Agreed. However, they may be a little less mainstream for one reason: they are terrible before they break in. I was really thinking I made a mistake in purchasing my VS/5 the first few days, but waited to see how it improved as it broke in. I'm glad I waited it out as it's a great brush now. Depending on the client, some may discount it if the first 3-4 shave are all bad.

That said, I'm a big fan of the brush starting at about shave #10.

18. Zach

Zach New Member

The use of a brush and soap is the most important advance in a shave you can make; the $8 Omega #49 even at full retail is such an improvement in your shave that it needs to be included in any starter kit even if you have to mark it up from retail; you'll be doing the buyer a service, you'll be sharing the gift of knowledge and years of use from a fine tool.

If you want to charge less for whatever reason, there is a Chinese company called DeLong that makes brushes in boar and badger; you can get a boar from them for under $3 retail, and it's a good brush; not 1/2 the brush the Omega is, but soft and sturdy and a good latherer. They do sell wholesale of course.

Stay away from the HJM boar brushes, they are crap.

I'd rather overpay for an Omega than be given 1000 lesser brushes for free.
    The lesser brush will be immediately discarded once the buyer discovers the world of wet shaving and begins to acquire more product, which is an absolute certainty.

19. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I know, just contact either Vulfix or Muehle and ask them.. I know for a fact that they have good wholesale prices..
    I would really recomend them..

20. SoaperAmI

SoaperAmI New Member

That's the problem I'm facing. Finding a fairly decent brush at a good wholesale price. I don't think people will pay what I'd really have to sell those for. At least not here in S. GA. they won't! But the last brushes I used just aren't that great. They shed like mad, etc., etc.

Thanks for sharing that soapbuddy -- I'll think on those some more.