The Hart Steel Razor - Made in the USA!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by drmoss_ca, Sep 4, 2009.

1. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca New Member

Gentlemen (and Ladies!),
    I have had the honour to have a prototype of this new production straight razor, made in the USA, in my hands for the last four months. It has been something of a trial to keep quiet about it, but now I have permission to let the cat out of the bag! Forgive me for not attempting to format the review again for each shaving forum, this link should work just fine! It really is a fine razor and since it is made in North America I think it will become very popular.

Chris

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Chris, Let me welcome you to TSD! :)

3. Damon

Damon Member

If it's affordable I'll own one.

4. Hogrider

Hogrider Member

A Yankee Blade

Chris,

I just ordered a Dovo 6/8 however, after I recuperate financially this should be my second SE

5. Leighton

Leighton New Member

thank you for cross posting.

6. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Thanks Chris! Very interesting!

7. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

That is outstanding. I do hope it's possible to come down a little in price for a basic model such as this, but if not, it's still worth having such a fine razor made here in the USA from a reputable maker and grinder. And thanks for letting us know, Chris! Excellent!

8. djwurm

djwurm New Member

Well well these look really slick and I want one so bad!!!! I love the way the scales look...

I almost want to sell my new Dovo Bergischer Lowe to get one of these bad boys! I cant afford to shell out any more money for another straight after buying the Dovo!

humm how can I put some cash I have hidden into another account to buy one of these without the wife knowing???

9. JimR

JimR Active Member

If the time comes to sell your BL, look me up...

10. wkodgzeke

wkodgzeke New Member

Those look really cool, might have to get one sometime in the next year or so

11. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Shaving the Hart

So a good friend (Lynn) sent me his Hart razor to try out still with the factory honing on it, just a few laps on .50 CrOx to smooth it down is what he told me...

First impressions, I have a few Black Rifles this is a Black Razor,, totally for use, no pretty at all...
    Measured out to 14.267 for the bare steel angle
    The blade has a slight smile to it however it is not even, there is a very, very, slight center spot if it were mine my OCD would kick in...

Nice even bevel, nice sharp edge....
    The first shave was last night, I took my time and relaxed, the razor performed exactly as I would expect from a 1/4 hollow, a nice clean no nonsense shave 3 passes WTG XTG and ATG same amount of irritation as any other stiff blade for me....

Looking close at the grind shows a very slight imbalance between sides not bad though, the finish is straight off a buffer or looks that way, might be off a grinder belt too, looks to me to be about the same as a 400 grit greaseless compound finsh...
    The spine thickness is dead even BTW I measured it.. The tang could use some special work from Seraphim, in fact my first impression was Double Arrow, no fuss, no muss shavers...

So those are my impressions of the razor, a very utilitarian razor,,

BTW what is wrong with peened pins???? do you custom/small company guys really think we like having to tighten our razors everyday???? JMHO those TORX screws etc: suck for razors, they are either to tight, or to loose, and honestly do any of you guys really take your razor apart to clean it???

12. derivative666

derivative666 New Member

Just came in the mail today. This is art!!![​IMG]

Asd and Hanzo like this.
  13. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Nice razor, congrats.

14. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

Where can one pick up a new Hart?

15. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Classic Shaving, West Coast Shave, or Hart themselves.

16. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info!

17. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Very nice, I have seen a few on Classic shaving site, the advert the run on the Straight razor place, I myself was looking to purchase a custom razor, in the end I opted for a one of the higher end custom American razor makers and went for a Butch Harner, I'm still waiting for her.

Jamie.

18. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I forgot about Straight Razor Designs.

Jamie Mahoney likes this.