Opinions of boareal 976

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by bandit82ta, Sep 5, 2009.

1. bandit82ta

bandit82ta New Member

I was wondering how many have this brush or have used it.

I just ordered one and was wondering what to expect. I've heard it looks good and expect the floppyness to be low, which is what I want since this is a mainly soap brush.

Any thoughts/opinions welcomed.

2. Zach

Zach New Member

This was my favorite of the Boreal brushes; it has a fantastic handle.
    The glue in the knot is really high and makes this a very stiff brush.
    It's a good brush, but not a great brush.
    Unless there was something wrong with mine, I don't see why people rave about it; it would not be in my top 20 boar.
    It has a bulb shape and a small knot, and it's boar, so you have to mash it up against your face to get all of it on you.
    There are people who love the VDH boar, and I think it's crap, so factor that one into your decision, YMMV.
    It's beautiful, very well made, ergonomic, and does a good job; why don't I like it? I think because I expected more from it; I wanted it to break in and become great, and it never did.

3. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

I really really love this brush. It's very stiff but soft at the same time. I recently had to send mine back since I got a shedder. Which is supposed to be rare for this brush. The vendor just credited back the money without giving me the option to wait for a new shipment of brushes. Does anyone know if anyone else offers this brush besides shoeboxshaveshop?

4. Zach

Zach New Member

Not outside of Italy; this was one of those Gio goes to Italy and comes back with a new line of brushes kind of thing.

5. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

Dang, I guess I have to wait.

6. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

I recently received one of these. It is a great looking brush, well made & the handle does feel good too. Even though it is not broken in, i feel this brush will never be half the brush of the 1305 or SC-68. As Zach pointed out the knot glue is high & this coupled with a dense knot = not good for getting a good lather onto the face or making one on it.

I have written to the dealer to see if mine is normal or not.

7. Zach

Zach New Member

Sounds just like mine, for what it's worth.
    And I really wanted to like the brush, and the whole line.

8. Etalex

Etalex New Member

Thanks guys, you have cured my SBAD with respect to the Boreal (at least for thetime being). I'll happily continue using my outstanding Omega 31064.

Alex

9. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

YMMV Alex.

If you still have the urge, have a look on the vintage scent website at the Semogue brushes.

10. Etalex

Etalex New Member

I just ordered a 1520. I prefer smaller stiffer brushes, so I'm looking forward to trying it soon. Even though I like my Omega 31064 I have recently felt that the bristles are too long.

Alex

11. bandit82ta

bandit82ta New Member

For anyone interested. I've been using my boreal brush for a few days now and it's breaking in nicely. I really enjoy this brush. Does well with creams and very good with pick'n up soaps. It's a great brush for under 20bucks. The only detractor is the coating (woodgrain look) on the handle can come off if it's soaked in hot water. I've avoided it pretty much other then a very tiny spot.....but this brush wasn't purchased for looks.

tkx

12. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Good on ya for getting her to work mate :signs107