Cheap Mugs

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by bandit82ta, Sep 7, 2009.

1. bandit82ta

bandit82ta New Member

I was in a local Walmart and found MY perfect soap mug.

Cruising down the home isles I found their $1 cups. It's wider at the top then bottom so perfect for soap cakes and starting a lather. Tall enough to fill with hot water and soak my brush while softening up the soap and also, when kept in the sink with water I dont splash water from the sink into it or knock it over. It keeps the brush warm for a good 2-3 passes but it's no scuttle but what do you expect for a buck.

Bonus is I can fit 3 across inside the medicine cabinet shelf and close the door.

YMMV but thought I'd throw it out there.

2. saltypete

saltypete New Member

My mug cost 5 bucks at a tobacconist . I've looked at scuttles and antiques but my el cheapo mug works fine. It's the one wetshaving accessory I haven't dropped a lot of money on......yet:D

Pete

3. Compa

Compa Member

mine was about 6.5$ :p but I love its design hehe :D is not a lathering mug per se but is made of porcelain is deep enough, somewhat wide and it has its own cap :D

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I know a lot of folks have splurged on a scuttle. I'm still thinking about since I found out that the mom of one of the young guys in our church does pottery. My mug splurge was for one of the large mugs with my monogram in gold letters, kinda-sorta like the shaving mugs of old that had names in gold. Picked it up at Classic Shaving. The monogram definitely makes a thicker, creamier, slicker lather with either soap or cream.

Okay, maybe not. But I do like my mug!

5. D Pflaumer

D Pflaumer New Member

I way over spent and bought one of the EJ porcelain bowls. It might have cost a pretty penny, but it matches the rest of my stuff and does exactly what I need it to do. That being said I pick up the soap from a different bowl and just make the lather in this one.

6. Turnz2

Turnz2 Member

I just used coffee mugs for years but I recently got the Stainless Steel bowl from Golden Nib and really like it.

7. Shaving.ie

Shaving.ie New Member

You can usually find something interesting at a local antique market for something a little different.
    ________

8. Hyperborean

Hyperborean New Member

I use large coffee bowl myself and while it's perfectly functional it looks quite sterile (white ceramic with one blue line).

9. Gnetics

Gnetics New Member

dang

Im still deciding on using an el cheapo mug from the thrift store or a nice 2 piece Quadruple silver plated that I seen at the antique store for $25..decisions decisions

10. Danover321

Danover321 New Member

+1 on the antique markets. I started visiting antique malls in the Kansas City Missouri area and have walked away with mugs and razors at absurdly low prices. Example:
    One antique mall purchase
    1959 E Fat Boy $3.00
    1960 F Fat Boy $3.00
    1960 F Fat Boy $2.00
    1969 O Super Slim Short $5.00
    1940's Old Spice Mug $2.99

I almost felt bad!

11. Hogrider

Hogrider Member

stainless steel bowl

I use a stainless steel bowl that I picked up at a supermarket for $3 bucks. I submerged it while taking a shower and I use it to develop my lather. :cool:

12. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

For years I uses an Old Spice soap bowl for the soap. When Old Spice stopped producing soap, I'd drop Williams in it. When I lost the Old Spice mug, I used a wooden bowl for years.

I now use Tabac, so I use that bowl for my soap. I lather in a cheap rice bowl I purchased at an oriental market.

13. MN_Nick

MN_Nick Member

I've been scouting out the Goodwills, Savers, second hand shops, etc. for mugs.

Very few of the cool ones I've found have been actual mugs, most are old ceramic jars with a metal strap buckle to keep the lid on.

Super cheap and a good things to do.

14. Philq

Philq New Member

15. nofa

nofa New Member

Looks appealing... what are the inside dimensions of the small bowl?

16. techni

techni New Member

I use a cereal bowl i picked up in a shop which is wide and deep and perfect for building up a lovely cream and it cost next to nothing:D

17. Philq

Philq New Member

The inside bowl is 4inches at the top and tapers to 3.5 inches and it is 3 inches deep. It holds plenty of hot water and does a great job,

18. Drew

Drew Member

I got a great inexpensive lathering bowl (that I use for creams) at a local pottery shop.

Gotta say, though, that the Old Spice shave mug is great for soaps! Great weight, depth, all that stuff.

shave well
    Drew

19. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member