If you could vacation anywhere in the world.....

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Sailor, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Sailor

Sailor New Member

Where would you go? The Navy is going to give me a 2 week vacation and a free plane ticket while I'm in Iraq. So instead of coming home i think I would rather travel. I would really like to be on the ocean after all that desert. Here are my Ideas so far.

FRENCH POLYNESIA
    GREEK ISLANDS
    THAILAND
    AUSTRALIA
    FIJI
    ARGENTINA

add on to the list if you have any good ideas.

Remember Im a E-4 so dont suggest renting yachts in St. Tropez

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Australia or Ireland, I think.

I have others for myself, but being Navy I'm sure you've been to a few of them.

3. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

4. krissy

krissy New Member

My 1st choice would be Pulau Seribu Putri (or another island in that area)
    my 2nd choice would be Bali,
    I've already been to the above two but loved them so much it would be nice to go back, wonderful places!!!

But it would be nice to go back to Australia and visit a few friends.

5. Michaelshane

Michaelshane New Member

I was in the Navy.I've been to many places,by far my favorite place in the world is Hong Kong.

6. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Tahiti or Fiji. I've been there and it's pretty amazing.

7. manhattan01

manhattan01 New Member

Tokyo and various other cities Japan.
    San Fran
    Barcelona
    Bordeaux, Marseille and other various cities in France
    Belgium - for their beer
    NYC

but our next trip is just a couple hours south to Seattle. We love it there too. :)

8. Dink

Dink New Member

New Zealand.

Cheers,
    David

9. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Portugal, for the fabulous Vintage Scent products from Leon....

Bulgaria, for their fantastic shaving creams....

I would say New Zealand for the diversity in scenery and all the outdoor activities to do. Besides that you probably would seek something in the southern hemisphere :D

10. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Islay. Lifelong vacation. 'nuff said :D

11. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

sorry, can't help you much, I've hardly been out of the southern US. Only time I've been out of the US was about 5 miles into Mexico doing mission work.
    But I think I'd like Australia. Hawaii's not on your list, as you've probably already been there, but I'd probably like it too.
    However, I'm afraid it will be quite a long time before they get any bridges to drive to either of those, so I'll probably still be in Texas :D

12. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Sailor,
    My recommendations for a young single GI such as yourself would be the following:

1. The Philippines (great beaches, extremely affordable, lobster and cheap beer o'plenty)
    2. Southern Spain /Canary Islands (check into billeting at Rota and knock yourself out)
    3. Thailand (aside from the debauchery and loads of pretty women, there are actually some very, very nice beaches)

13. SandBaggerOne

SandBaggerOne New Member

Where have you been in the past? Anywhere interesting? You might want to find someplace radically different than any place you've been before, or the place you least likely to go to if you are the one paying for it.

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Greek islands--I've been there many times with Madame. We love them! :)

15. SandBaggerOne

SandBaggerOne New Member

How about the place least like Iraq possible. That means either wet, green, and lush, or cool, high, and snowy. Do you ski? When my buddy Alex got back from his stint with the USMC after the invasion in 03, he said what he missed the most was greenery. He spent a lot of time in the desert and just wanted to see a lawn.

Cheers,
    Colin

16. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I'll second a vote for Ireland or maybe Scotland. About as far from desert as you can get.

17. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I suggest Laos. It is the most laid back relaxed country I've ever been to.
    Radically different from its neighbours and full of good times. It is warm, but if you go up into the mountains it is cool and serene. BEAUTIFUL scenery and great french food. Great laotian food too. I'd go back just for the food.

18. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

Nice suggestion :)

I love going into Laos but it is not a place for a novice traveler.

Thailand would be a nice destination for a 2 week bid.

19. Sailor

Sailor New Member

I figure that if I spend 6 months planning this trip and 6 months thinking about how great it was then it will be like I never went to Iraq.

20. D Pflaumer

D Pflaumer New Member

I know Ireland and Scotland are beautiful, but if you want peace and quiet in something as far from the desert in Iraq as it gets... The Fjords of Norway. Absolutely beautiful, and if an "anti-desert" exists... its there.