Who said this was less expensive?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Mojavered, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Mojavered

Mojavered New Member

When my job moved me to an area that I had to shave everyday, I new I was going to have some problems as my beard is really thick and I do not shave but every 3-4 days. I was using the mach 3 and could get 3-4 shaves out of one, but the timing had to be right. At trying to shave every day, I had to use a new one each day. This, as you know, is pretty costly. So I read somewhere, not on this forum as i just recently found it, that I can save money by switching to DE razors. This is true until you factor in all the soap, brushes and everything else. Since I bought my razor, I have spent almost $200.00 and I do not even own a badger brush. Is there anyone else out there in the same boat?
    It is all coming to an end in the spending dept. since I have found this site. Granted, there are many opinions on here, there is also a lot of experience. I have been reading the forums on this site for about a week and have already learned and applied a few things. I really wish that I would have found it sooner. I just wanted to say thanks to all on here for the knowledge provided as well as the feedback given to help some of us out. I much as I used to hate shaving, it is actually starting to become enjoyable....Kind of like golf, just looking forward to that perfect shot (shave).

Seabs likes this.
  2. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

200.00 is pretty reasonable, really. The cost of an electric razor is anywhere from 70.00 on up to about what you've spent on DE shaving so far. I can justify spending some $$ on razors that will last my lifetime and beyond, a shave brush that has a lifespan of 10+ years, a shave bowl/mug that will last my lifetime (or until I drop it), spending money on blades that cost a few cents each, and shave soaps that will last 6 mos or so each. The initial price seems high, but when you consider how long all of the consumables of wetshaving will last, it comes out to a few dollars a month. Still less than cartridge shaving and a whole lot more enjoyable. You can save money if you can keep the AD monkey away ;) :D

Seabs likes this.
  3. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

do the math for a year of cartridges alone, then do the math for a razor, brush, some soap or cream, and a 100 pack of blades, you'll come out much cheaper!

The main thing is the big up-front expense, but once you're set, you're set.
    With cartridge razors, the spending is spread out over the year, but is quite a bit more.

You can buy really nice gear, soaps, creams, etc., and come out a little cheaper than cartridges, or you can really go value minded with nice, but not extravagant stuff, and come out a lot cheaper.

But, as Pam said, the savings come in not going overboard in the "hobby" aspect of it! :D

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:sihns011 see Jim's post above

Welcome to The Shave Den!

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

What is this AD demon you speak of....:think002

Fuzzy

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Welcome to TSD!
    I spend the same amount I would have on cartridges and get a much better and more enjoyable shave, along with "enertainment" value that comes from the hobby aspect. You have to look at this for an annual cost (or longer) to see the real comparison.

7. Philq

Philq New Member

:signs046 You will find that with some restraint you will get away a little cheaper with the DE. The key word is RESTRAINT. If you turn out like most of us here you will contract AD (Aquisistion Disorder) It is a pleasant side effect to our hobby.

8. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I still frequently use cartridge razors, and will I use a shavette instead of a DE sometimes too. However most of the items I buy are soaps and creams, hopefully they will not spoil by the time I get to use them. I may have a 15 year supply. So I don't really consider it switching to DE shaving, I used a DE from Wilkinson Sword in 1992 but with shaving foam. I have just discovered that the Ingrams and Erasmic are not just for old guys and that TRADITIONAL WET SHAVING is a relaxing activity. I am hitting 40 soon, so maybe it is for......:D

9. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

:happy097:rofl:happy102:laugh042:happy001

Enjoy your shaves. They get better as time goes by.

10. saltypete

saltypete New Member

You're right, DE shaving can be a money pit. However if you stick with cartridge razors you spend lots of money and all you have at the end is a whole heap of used plastic cartridges. On the other hand if you get hit with RAD and other wetshaving ADs (soaps, creams, brushes, colognes etc) at the end you still have a wonderful collection of razors and products which are a pleasure to use and to collect.
    Just my .02 cents

Pete

11. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

Why does the upfront expense have to be big? I see doubled edged razors in antique stores for $10 - maybe they are just junk. Anyway, buy some ten cent blades to go with it and you're good to go for less than $20

Brushes, fancy soaps, fancy creams, preshaves, aftershaves, mid-shaves, blocks, pencils, cases, stands, mugs, tshirts, etc are unnecessary. You could have used all of those with your Mach3...

12. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

+1 on that one :happy088

13. wklmmmm

wklmmmm New Member

razor: $15
    adjustable: $12
    vdh / williams soap: $1.50
    dorco blades: 10 fo $1
    had gumbo bowl for lather
    2 metal bowls w/ lid: $1 each
    c.o. bigelow: $5
    body shop syn brush: $15
    tweezerman badger: $10
    clubman: $7
    AV: $6
    styptic pencil: $1

< $100 i'd say;

this is since 2-09;

i did buy a t&h soap $18 - prob wont do that again for a while;

like anything, all AD's can and will range in severity; but this initial outlay will be more economical than cartridges in the long run.

14. Mojavered

Mojavered New Member

I hardly did any research when I bought my razor. I just read that the Merkur Futur was a good razor and would not be disapointed with it. It would last a long time and the blades were cheap. So I figured, $75.00 razor and blades, hexk of a savings! Then I tried to use the same soap I have always shaved with, absolutely no luck at all, then some shave cream out of a can, no luck, some gels, oils, different sensitive after sahves, no luck. There was another $50.00+. Looked on the internet and saw that shave soap and or cream were recommended. Bought that, did not know that the lather I was using was actually not even a lather. Bought some more expensive soaps, since I thought that was the problem and that they work better, there was another $30.00. Found out some of the problem was my brush, now I am waiting for a few Senogues to get here. Then reading this sight, looks like a lot of my problem is just technique! All of the sudden, in the last few days, I have been getting much much better shaves and look forward to the next.
    Like I said, I wish that I would have ran accross this site when I first started looking at purchasing a DE. I probably would have known that there were cheaper, no-less expensive, razors that work as well/better/whatever. Now, I am enjoying the whole process and cannot wait to get my new brushes just so I can see what kind of shave I can get. The only thing I am having trouble with is that when I bought my razor, I was unaware that there were differences in blades. I purchased 55 Merkur blades for $20.0o. I read a few bad reviews and not seen a goon one yet. I currently do not have a problem with them, (which is all that matters) just wonder how many "better" blades are out there that may be better for me. Anway, I will stop rambling and dig all the replies by all! Thanks!

15. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

well, that actually does explain a lot...but, even with all the trial and error, if you stick to what you have currently, but the end of the year, you'll probably still have saved money compared to cartridges perhaps.

Merkur blades = not good review in general, but there are some folks that can use them with no problems. As you get closer to finishing the Merkurs, I'd recommend a blade sampler pack, there are lots of places to get them, each with their own variety of blades; westcoastshaving.com, bullgoose.com, shoeboxshaveshop.com are the first that come to mind, but there are others.

Feels good to finally hit the sweet spot of it all, doesn't it?

I started out about 2 years ago with:
    $3.50 '57 Tech
    $4.00 Burma Shave brush
    $1.50 Williams soap
    $1.75 Wal Mart Personna blades
    so for under $11 I was well on my way, in fact only bought a couple more packs of blades for awhile....I'm not even going to pretend like I'll add it all up now, but it can be done very economically.

16. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

My beginnings were similarly humble:

Gem Micromatic $4
    Antique store Magna Brush $8
    Personna SE Blades $6
    VDH soap $2
    Big Tub of AV Classic $5

It really is cheaper UNTIL it becomes a hobby. If you're willing to stick with one razor, cheap soap, one brush, one kind of blade, and old school aftershave. Wetshaving probably only costs pennies a shave. The problem is that once it gets good to you, you will not be content to stay within the "Economical" boundaries. You'll soon begin to collect razors, wonder what other soaps are like, see brushes you like, etc. At this point of course it can be as economical or as ridiculous as you want it to be. Unfortunately, most of us (myself included) tend to lean a bit toward the ridiculous every now and again. I've already got three brushes, what the hell do I need with two more? Yeah but those are so cool. Honest, honey when I get to a seven razor rotation, I'll quit. OK, well that one doesn't count because it's a lather catcher and the other one...OK I'll quit at ten (or maybe an even dozen).

Now a days, I consider my shaving stuff entertainment expenses. If the objective was just to shave I would have stayed with my initial set up for less than $40 and just purchased blades, soap and smell good when I ran out. That's the way most of us operated with regard to shaving for many years. But for a long time now, shaving's role in my life has changed. What was once a hygiene and regulatory requirement has become a hobby, a source of enjoyment and relaxation. I figure even at it's worst, shaving is cheaper than a 20 something girlfriend, a classic Porsche or a therapist so, embrace your addictions my friends, wetshaving is a beautiful thing.

17. D Pflaumer

D Pflaumer New Member

I think I spent around $25 to get started. That being said, I can't imagine spending $200 just to get started. I recently bought a brand new Edwin Jagger brush, bowl, razor, and stand, along with TOBS Eton College cream and 100 Shark blades for a little over $100. Unless you bought top of the line gear, you way way overpaid my friend.

18. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

I just started wetshaving in towards the end of July. I emailed about a million companies and tactfully asked for samples. Every company I found I asked for samples. Now I have enough soaps, creams, body wash gels, bars. scrubs, face moisurizer and other goodies to last me for at least a year. For a razor a got a 40s Superspeed for 14. I did splurge on a brush and GFT violet. Vulvix 2233 brush is about 50. Blades are cheap and a sample pack could easily last you 6 months.

19. Mojavered

Mojavered New Member

That is a great idea, never thought of it. Thanks for the tip!

20. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

That's why we're here :happy088