I'm Cheap..or why I like VDH, WILLIAM's and such

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by wchnu, Sep 22, 2009.

1. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

I've been checking around at the CVS and Walgreens stores near me. They have blades at both, but they seem really overpriced - $7-$8 for a pack of ten blades. For a couple bucks more I can order the $5 variety pack from West Coast Shaving and have it delivered to my door.

I think the Weishi comes with five blades as well, at least that's what was shown in the picture, but it wasn't specified in the description. I'll find out soon enough! Well... maybe not soon enough, but soon.

2. Turnz2

Turnz2 Member

WOW!!!

Clearly West Coast Shaving sample pack is the way for you to go. I do as well.

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

The blades that come with a Weishi are Dorco ST300s. The vast majority don't like these blades. The Dorco ST301s are a much better blade, so don't judge all Dorco blades on the 300s performance.

4. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Erik makes a great point there. The ST300's are the worst blade I have ever used, the ST301's on the other hand work very well for me.

But as with all blade choices only you will be able to know for sure, because after all, its your face. :)

5. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

Yeah, and they are just the store brand blades. They're still a vastly better buy than say, a pack of Mach 3 replacement cartridges but still, that price doesn't sit well with me when I know they can be had for an even better value.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

6. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

If you can get to a walmart (I notice you're in Chicago so I know that could be a big "if") you can find those same blades for approx. $2 a ten pack. American Safety Razor (Personna) makes those blades and they're repackaged for a variety of different sellers. They're all the same blade, though.

Side note- if you get into SE (single edge) shaving, CVS carries the blades for cheaper than anyone else, online or otherwise.

You might also try plain old grocery stores for blades. A local chain around here carries Wilkinson Sword 5 packs for something like $1.50.

7. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

Haha! Yeah, the only Walmart here isn't exactly right around the corner from me, but it's not too bad of a ride. I'll have to check it out.

I've been looking at the grocery stores close to me and they are either just as expensive or do not carry them. I'm a bit surprised the Whole Foods near me doesn't carry them, what with DE's being the greener option and all. Although, there's an absolutely huge Whole Foods a bit south of me that may carry blades. I'll check there too.

8. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

I haven't scanned through this entire thread but have some thoughts on the inexpensive.

Firstly, when it comes to the readily available, I'd take Williams over any of VDH's offerings any day. Real Shave Co., a cream, sells at several drugstores here and provides a fine lather, though I think Williams SS is a wiser buy. 99 cents and hard milled, it's longer lasting & better performing.

Ordering Online: Best inexpensive soap you can buy is Arko. It's significantly better than Williams and has versatility: use it as stick, or press it into a bowl. I love this soap because I'm frugal but love going nuts with lather; and with a product so cheap, doing so is of no consequence.

Conk is another SS I endorse. It's 3-4 bones a glycerine puck, doesn't last terribly, but the line's scent offerings are delightful and the lather is super slick. A good change of pace if that's what you're into.

ULTIMATELY, tho, I say go to the mall and buy a puck of l'Occitane's SS. It lasts a very long time, is color- and (basically) scent-free, and turns out the finest lather of all.

9. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

If you're looking for cheap blades, here's the trick.

Go to the ghetto and waltz into a few barber/beauty supplies. They sell DEs to barbers who snap them in half and insert in shavettes.

This is how I buy 100-packs of Derbys, Astra Olives, Super-Max Plat.s, Dorco 301s, etc. for 8 bucks.

10. Will

Will Nevermind

Yea I am cheap, I cant seem to get a great shave out of Williams Mug Soap but VDH, Conk, Real Shaving Co, Clubman Shave Cream, Barbasol, Kiss My Face, all good stuff.

A boar Brush (Burma, VDH, Omega) are just fine. C&E Best at 35 bucks is the best badger brush around IMHO.

As for aftershave you would be nuts not to check out the drugstore before D.R. Harris

11. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

This is an excellent thread. I've wanted to pull out posts by several people (Zach, et al.) and just say, "+1000". Of the tons of great suggestions for value products (I'm strongly partial to RSC stuff, but like and use most of those mentioned), I really like Kaveh's suggestion to grab a puck of L'Occitane if it's locally available. I've been seeing it for $10. It's not a Tallow soap, IIRC, which might not appeal to some (and then again, might be the ticket for others); but, it produces marvelous lather and leaves my face feeling fine.

12. mpt

mpt New Member

Price and correlation?

I find no correlation between price and utility of products. Indeed personal preference plays a very subjective role.

I've tried just about every single soap and cream out there. I find nothing works 'better' than VDH. It has nothing to do with price; the stuff just works great. The bonus is that it is so inexpensive and readily available. I've whittled down my rotation to VDH and Truefitt & Hill. I use TH once in a while because there is something a bit more luxurious about it, but in the end I have to admit that VDH provides an identical result at about one-tenth the price.

Again, I've tried about every blade out there. In short, my skin is paper thin, while my beard is as tough as copper wire. My face can bleed at just the thought of shaving. A sharper blade cuts more efficiently, but at the high price of a substantial blood donation! To find a balance of comfort and sharpness, nothing rivals the Dorco ST-301. I would pay whatever the price for the right blade that performs, and this is the one for me. Here again, it just so happens the best blade for me is about the least expensive you can get. BTW - the Dorco ST300 and ST301 are different, don't confuse the two. The 301's are just a few pennies more per blade, but perform much better. They are consistent, plenty sharp, and most importantly, comfortable on the skin.

That's the short and long of the correlation between price and value. You can find what works best for you, but do not pay attention to price as an indicator of better or worse. At the end of the day, even the most expensive creams and blades are really not very expensive at all, but it is an added bonus when your favorite products are less expensive than comparable alternatives.

Good luck.

13. Mojavered

Mojavered New Member

mpt, I think that you make a great point at saying that it is an added bonus when your favorites are less expensive. Though I have not tried a lot of soaps, I have always considered the VDH at the high end of the list for performance and cost knowing that I can never go wrong with it.

14. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Stephan Products
    I've been using Stephan products for many years. They are inexpensive; about $3.75 for a 15 oz bottle. I like the Bay Rum, Lilac, and Alpine Menthol. The Alpine Menthol is very refreshing. It took the place of my Aqua Velva. (I didn't throw the AV out, I still use it now and then). The nice thing about these products is that you can use them as a refreshing body splash and not go broke. I'm probably missing something, but I haven't seen them discussed much here. I would be curious to see what others think of Stephan, good or bad.

Thanks for listening,
    Alan

15. Bukowski

Bukowski New Member

I tend toward the bottom end when it comes to supplies. Unfortunately I never seem to get Williams to lather right for me.

As a soap user, I find that a higher end boar brush works better than a low end badger and costs less too.

Dollar General and those type of stores often carry aftershaves for a buck, again not the best, but they work. I am however a fan of the Nivea post shave lotion, one of the best values out there as long as a strong scent is not a priority.

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Never heard of these.. where can one find them?

Fuzzy

17. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

For some items, I am plain cheap, for some other items, I try to be more economical (I still want something of a certain quality, but go for the lowest possible price).
    I have only 1 SE razor, the cheapest GEM I could find on B/S/T. I also bought my SE blades in Bulk, from Ted Pella (and so that the shipping was worth it, I bought 600 blades..). I use half of the time an aftershave balm I can get in basically any supermarket or drugstore here in the region. The other half of the time is divided between another A/S or none whatsoever, since the shaving soap & the cream I am using are great for the skin. I do not buy MWF but Kent's shaving soap which is barely half the price but exactly the same product. (and great for the skin, hence the savings in A/S..)

I did also not develop a noticeable acquisition disorder, so noticeable savings there, when I compare to the Shave Den of other Wet Shaving Aficionados. Besides my 1 GEM, I have only 3 straights, 1 of which will be sold in the near future. I have only 2 shaving brushes, 1 regular and 1 travel brush, none of which is 'Silvertip' but still Badger.
    The only items for which I did not go for the lowest price (maybe I should have, but what is done is done..) are my straights. Those 2 I keep I just plain love'em and am glad I bought them despite their price tag. I guess that is why I keep the 'operating costs' so low now..:ashamed001

18. Razorpete

Razorpete New Member

This is a great thread, and a great forum!

The general philosophy everyone espouses here of being economical, not getting overly complicated and having a good shave really resonates with me.

My simple set up is a merkur 23c razor, a decent synthetic brush, derby blades, mitchells wool fat soap and aqua velva aftershave.

Buying things in bulk (including a good deal on derbys at ten cents a blade) it costs slightly less than 15 cents a day.

A small price to pay for an enjoyable daily shave.

:)

19. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

First off, Welcome to The Shave Den Razorpete! A great community of guys and gals that enjoy wet shaving, I hope you enjoy your stay!

Be sure to sign up for the November Newbie Give-Away for a chance to win some great shave gear!

While its not required, how about you hop over to the Newbies Section and give yourself a proper introduction thread, I'm sure you'll receive many warm welcomes from the friendly folks of this community.

20. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Aye laddie, I Dooo know cheap!! I am a Scot after all!

the_scottish_guy_sticker-p217854965541532011qjcl_400.jpg

One thing for sure wee Fuzzy - you have touched on a topic dear to people's hearts - money!!!!

I do like cheap - but I don't care for crap! There is a difference.