I'm Sure Some Of You Do This As Well

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by MadCapsule, Oct 21, 2009.

1. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

I've found myself going into drug stores and grocery stores just to scope out what of shaving supplies they have. No intention of buying anything, but just to make a mental note of who has what.

Usually the selection is mediocre at best. But I was pretty impressed with the variety of creams to be found at Whole Foods. In addition to Kiss My Face, there were a bunch of other brands that looked interesting. None of the classics, though.

2. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Yeup, it's official....you're one of us!

3. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Yep :happy088

+1 on that!!!

4. MN_Nick

MN_Nick Member

Use caution on your drug store loiterings. A few weeks back I was checking out the scent of Walgreen's Generic Aqua Velva and ended up shooting a metholated jet of blue joy up my nose.

5. techni

techni New Member

Its a nice way to kill a few hours though when your wife is shopping;)

6. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

hmmm, that must be a more common event than initially feared!

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

The Kiss My Face is good stuff and pretty cheap. While it's sold as brushless, it works best with a brush.

I've heard Alba is good, but is truely brushless. Those who've tried had to give their brush a good washing to get the oily stuff off of it.

The others I've seen at whole foods I've not heard such good reports about. Most important - STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING HERBAN COWBOY. They're terrible products.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy102 :happy102

9. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

Yeah, I saw quite a few of the Herban Cowboy products when I was at Whole Foods. Their boar hair brush looked like it was even worse than the VDH brush I picked up.

Incidentally, I just got back from Merz Apothecary. So much stuff to ogle there! Came out of there with a tube of Godrej and a brush stand which, I just found out, does not fit my brush.

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Yup... do that all the time. Glad you enjoyed the trip to Merz. I can stare at the stuff for hours.

11. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

When I was at Merz today I had taken the cap off of a tube of cream and was holding it up to my nose, gently squeezing and releasing the tube in an attempt to get the scent of it to waft out of it. Well, I got a good whiff of it and when I looked down to put the cap back on I noticed that a bit of cream had squeezed out and was running down my hand. Oops!

12. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

my mother in law picked up a few pucks of the Herban Cowboy soaps for me a few years back. I couldn't make them work. I'm one who likes Williams and Colgate.

I didn't know they made a brush. Follow the example of Brave Sir Robin. Run Away!

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No matter where I am there is always a trip through the shave isle involved. Even when I do not want to buy anything. I always think there just might be something new to look at.

Fuzzy

14. bperryman1

bperryman1 Member

I understand that, went to rite aid today to pick up some beer and bought neutrogena and The Real Shaving co. creams for no real reason just wanted to try them.

15. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Real Shaving Company stuff is some of the best value out there.

I'm with all of you on the "just looking" part. :D

16. smoky

smoky New Member

Ok, so its not just me... My wife thinks I am nuts.

smoky

17. ztirf1953

ztirf1953 Active Member

I've even started looking up and visiting ethnic grocery stores just to see what I can find. This past week I found a new German store in Great Falls Virginia where I bought the last tube of Nivea shaviing cream (German type not Indian).

18. Jamazar

Jamazar Member

I have been doing this as well, having fun with it. I may have to try some of those ethnic stores.

19. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

Hmmm. . . I wonder if I can find any goodies in Chinatown.

20. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Yeah, that about sums it up!! :rolleyes: