Help me find THE ONE....

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jhclare, Oct 27, 2009.

1. jhclare

jhclare New Member

Hi all,

Right. I've had it with SBAD! I want a one-and-only brush. I've tried a few, and still don't think I've found what I'm looking for yet.

So..... here are my requirements, based on the B&B brush advice template:

My existing harem of badgery beauties:

• A Taylors Silvertip (Vulfix) - Nice, but too floppy, and not good with soap.
    • Rooney 3/1 Super - The nearest I've come yet, however my experience with Rooney has been mixed. First copy was great after break-in but was a shedder. Second copy didn't shed but just wasn't as nice as the first. Tips were more prickly and didn't seem quite as dense.
    • Simfix CH2 Best - Too big and not quite firm enough. Maybe CH1?
    • Semogue 1305 - Superb for the money but didn't retain heat or hold enough lather for me, even after break-in.
    • Omega Pro 48 - Gigantic, way too big for face lathering.
    • Savile Row 3824 - Just a bit too big and I'm not convinced it's as good as some brushes for soaps. It's also very soft, but most of the time I want firmness and a bit of scrubbing action, but don't want prickly tips.

My lathery leanings ... basically I face lather with soap 80% of the time, with cream 10% of the time, and use a bowl with cream/soap for the remaining 10%.

What I want from my next brush .... Basically a good all-rounder that is not too big, that is dense, scrubby and firm but not scritchy or prickly, and one that I will keep for a number of years without wanting any other brushes. I also want it to be readily available new, and easy to obtain in the UK.

Brush aesthetics ... Not too important, but I want the handle to be comfortable.

Budget. Maybe £100, no more.

Brushes that have already piqued your interest ....

• I'm thinking maybe a Rooney 1/1 or another 3/1 on the off chance that I just got some atypical samples.
    • Maybe a Stubby 1 or 2 Heritage, or another Heritage model?
    • A Simpsons Chubby 1 in Super or Best (can't decide). Obviously will be Simfix unless some kind soul wants to sell an original Simpsons one
    • A Savile Row 3x20 or 3x22 - or will these be too soft with not enough backbone for me?

Lastly, I wanted to tell you that this will be my last and only brush, and that SBAD hasn't really gotten ahold of me, etc.

No really. :D

Thanks all!

John

2. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Simpson's Chubby or Rooney Heritage -- sounds like those two would have the nice firm backbone you're looking for.

3. herzi

herzi Active Member

Get a Thäter 4125

4. BlueBloodKiller

BlueBloodKiller New Member

I would strongly advised against finding The One. I went on a similar foolhardy expedition and found The Three.

5. jhclare

jhclare New Member

I've already tried the CH 2 Best, it wasn't firm enough (and too big for me)! Maybe the CH 1 in Super or Best? Hmmm....

I don't know where to find a Heritage brush. None of the UK suppliers seem to stock them, and Vintage Blades don't ship to the UK.

Ironic that the brushes are actually made in the UK!

6. Zach

Zach New Member

The shortcomings you speak of with the 3/1 are ably addressed by the Semogue 2015 and the Semogue 2040.
    The 3/1 is a great brush, and the two Semogues I speak of are almost perfect.
    Note that my 3/1 is 4 years old, my 2015 has been used about 20 times, and the 2040 is brand new (but has the same head as the 2015).

[​IMG]