Has This Ever Happened to You?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by 1OldGI, Oct 29, 2009.

1. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

So here's the deal. My Gem Micromatic Open Comb, which by the way was my first old school safety razor, seems to have gone south in a big hurry. Initially it was fantastic, consistently great shaves no questions asked. It really was one of the stars of my fleet. But recently (last five or six shaves) its performance has went to hell in a hand basket. New blade, old blade doesn't seem to matter, the last few shaves (including this morning) have been full of weepers, nicks and just generally of a very bad quality. I never thought I'd say this but even my lowly Slim Adjustable has surpassed its performance and after this morning's shave I'm very tempted to bench this razor. This really is a tough call to make as I have more history with this razor than any other in my stable. Any idea how I can bring it back to its original quality?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Have you changed your prep or soap?

If not, I sure hope you find the problem and get it working again.

I have an OC MM, also. Love the shaves! Once you do find out, make sure you post the results so others (namely, me) don't have our (my) razor go south on us (me)!:D

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I've seen it happen, too, both with straights and with DEs. I laid the razor to rest for a while and when I revisited it it was good again :D

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Have you dropped the razor?

5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Never had it happen to me, but maybe Klaus is onto something here.

We all know that the O/C MM has a reputation for being very aggressive, and usually the advice given to folks is to take your time and go very slowly. I'm thinking that maybe over time, you have grown so use to using this razor, and have had so many good shaves with it, that you no longer pay that extra bit of attention needed to tame the beast.

6. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

After some thought I think what's happened is this. I just don't use the Micromatic as often as I once did. In fact at one time it was the only razor I owned. Thanks to RAD my stable has expanded and I now only occassionally pull out the MM. Now, I love the Micromatic but even a die hard MM fan will confess that it is NOT the easiest razor to shave with. What's more, it's not very forgiving of even minor technique discrepancies. All that said, I would speculate that whether I realize it or not my technique with the razors I shave with more often (Lather Catchers, 1912s, Gillette Single Ring and 3piece Tech) are probably much less focused than when I use the MM. I think this translates into me shaving with the Micromatic as if it were one of the others (which are all, by comparison fairly mild). I think the MM will ride the pine for a while and I'll try it again in a month or so, this time remembering that it's the beast and it will bite you for casual approaches or half hearted technique. The MM demands total respect and attention. Perhaps it is best left for days when I can give it that instead of the quick 2 pass and out, slept late, work day shave. Wow, that thing tore my neck UP!

7. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

I think you're on to something here. Good advice and good choices!

I've just one other thing to add and that's that there have been a couple of times for me since picking this form of shaving up a year or so ago that I've gotten so confident that I had to slow down and rethink what I was doing. Zero pressure had turned into some pressure. Slow and easy had turned into hurry up and get to work. It's one of the reasons I like DE and straight shaving - they help keep me honest and in touch with reality... :D

Happy Shaves!

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

+1

9. Zach

Zach New Member

This only happens to me whenever I switch around; the MM is a fidelity razor, which can either reward you for your fidelity, or, well, you know the part about the fury of a razor scorned...

It's almost like you have to re-learn the technique all over again, and forget your nasty DE habits.