straight razor "evolution"

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by nunogrl, Nov 2, 2009.

1. nunogrl

nunogrl Member

Hello!

I'm posting something that make most of you think I'm stupid and I "don't understand the concept".. but here it goes...

why does every straight razor have to have a so "an old guy that used to be a a barber gave me" look?
    Why every straight razor looks alike (when its closed) apart the scale colour?

Why can't we find other kind of scales? (at least I couldn't)

Did the straight razor achieve the perfect form so it shouldn't be changed?

Here's a graphic invitation to posts:
    [​IMG]

I might be wrong... pls correct me ... don't be too rude :S

best regards
    nuno

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

The scales are the way they are because they have to balance the blade when you use the razor. That's why they're are the way they're are.

3. nunogrl

nunogrl Member

it's not possible to keep the balance using aluminium?
    maybe it looks stupid.. but there are plenty of light materials out there..
    maybe the pic I posted wasn't the best i could make...
    I was looking forward this kind:
    [​IMG]

btw... at extreme why not to create our own scales from pieces combined?
    ...delirium.... :S but what a heck...... Id like to see one :D

If found one great design at SRP:
    http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/gallery/24649-le-grelot-carbon-fiber.html

but still isn't what I meant ...

I was seeking something like this
    [​IMG]
    but with rubber grip detail :D

best regards
    Thanks for posting :D

4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    You can have any material you want...

There are some of us that can make and fabricate anything you want....

HOWEVER, most of us will only make things that work as intended, and use that as the stopping point for how "farout" there we go...

Now there are some razors being made by companies out there right now that are so unbalanced that they are almost un-usable for the intended funtion...

The TI AOS Stainless Steel scales come to mind off hand... Terrible balance.:eek:

Ps: that razor in the pic above is a Krieger or Master and they are not real razors, at least not razors for shaving... and they are unbalanced with the heavy SS blade they have let alone a real blade...

5. nunogrl

nunogrl Member

I thank all comunity for that! I love this sites for that!
    Of course Id like something I could use!

With time maybe some skins for straight razors appear :D like they are to cell phones or laptops ! lol:cool: :sick007:

I have a yellow straight from bismark and several de razors.
    I like the merkur's finishing polish very much. I'd like my straight was so beautiful

it's restored now! thanks to Leon! ;)
    [youtube]
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hD4LjPWQug0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hD4LjPWQug0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    [/youtube]

6. matt321

matt321 New Member

I've contemplated this as well. Pocket knives for example have evolved to modern folders with various locking blade technologies, super-steel blades, non-rust steel (H1), titanium scales, assisted opening gizmos, etc.

The only thing I could imagine for a straight would be:
    1. quick detach scales for cleaning or replacing
    2. locking blade (locks in closed position and locks in strop/hone position)
    3. multiple blades (like a long 3/8 and a short 7/8 built into the same razor)

I'm not saying these are good ideas or that I would ever want any of these features.

7. matt321

matt321 New Member

I suppose the counter argument is that straights are a traditional tool. If you want to jazz it up then just buy a vibrating, multiblade cartridge razor.:rolleyes:

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If it ain't broke why fix it. The straight razor is a functional tool, if you add too much to it it becomes an unbalanced piece of metal. Like dressing out a work truck. What is the point.

Fuzzy

9. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

I can see the point of the original question. Straight razors were designed by barbers to shave someone else's face with.Were they not??

10. nunogrl

nunogrl Member

I don't think I would like it either...
    meanwhile I've been googling around and i've found out something

[​IMG]

This is near the stuff I'm talking about. metal scales... althought it have no engraving at all, but looks cool enough.

I don't want to create a new kind of gear...
    I was wondering why can't we find something more elegant, modern, with more personality.
    That can be achieved with more agressive lines on the scales (the blades are amazing the way they are now, there's plenty of variety).
    How can a such beautiful blade can be inserted in a such not aesthetic scale?

I just replying because it looks that the discussion is spreading too much.

best regards and happy shavings!
    Nuno

11. Leighton

Leighton New Member

Are you simply talking about metals or different scale material in general?

If your talking about metals only, flexible scales = good. Metal is not as flexible as plastic or wood. Besides, with metal, you run the risk of dinging your razor when you close it.

There are thousands of razors with wooden scales or ridiculously nice plastic ones. So I don't see the problem.

12. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

Their is nothing more beautiful than the old fashioned ivory scales.

Glen gssixgun makes some pretty sick looking scales that you might be interested in.