How will my brush hold up?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Sailor, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Sailor

Sailor New Member

Im afraid of what might happen to my brush due to the sand in Iraq and Kuwait. Any ideas of how to protect it? I do have a travel brush from C&E.

I have a feeling im going to need to bring a can of foam just for use when Im traveling or maybe when im low on water ect.

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I carry my travel brushes in a big medicine bottle. that seems to keep it clean and protected. Hope that all goes well for you. Is there anything you need as far as gear before you go that we might help with?

Fuzzy

3. Zach

Zach New Member

Look here
    Not cheap, though, $100 at classic shaving, but, it will last forever, and that's good karma for you!

4. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

+1

I do this too and it seems to work, although I've never been in the desert.
    I'll add my name to Fuzzy's offer - if there's anything you need, post it here and I'll do whatever I can.

Best Regards

goshawk

5. Zach

Zach New Member

6. BlueBloodKiller

BlueBloodKiller New Member

I got this Truefitt & Hill travelling brush (not my auction) at a substantial discount.... Search the reviews for this particular one....

Whichever you choose to go with, just make sure the badger is dry before storing it.

And... Good Luck with the camels.

7. Mojavered

Mojavered New Member

Just a question, and I am sure that there is an answer somewhere out there. But to those that have both types, do boars and badgers dry at different rates? If so, then one might be better than the other if out in the desert and you have little time to let it dry.

8. carbonsteel928

carbonsteel928 New Member

After two deployments, I can say that there is very little sand in Iraq. Sandy soil, yes, but it depends on where you will be stationed anything 150 miles from Kuwait is rather docile when it comes to sand. Sand storms are not that common and military issue shelter is a million times better now than when we first got started. On my last deployment I had a room mate who had sensitive electronics and not one suffered from the excessive dust or the random sand storm. Kuwait is another story, its hot, sandy and it has an odd oil/fish/trash smell when your first get there. But to make a long answer even longer, no, your brush will not be affected. Just be careful with shaving in the Kuwaiti shower trailers, a staph infection is almost guaranteed. :)

9. niftyshaving

niftyshaving New Member

As others indicated, using a largish pill container with a plastic top should do as long as
    you get it dry before you put it away for very long.

You are asking the right question. Infections of any kind as "carbonsteel928" noted are possible without relentless attention to sanitation.

For the most part sand from dust through fine to coarse can simply be rinsed from the brush.
    As long as you store the brush brisle down so the grit does not fall down into the base of the knot you will be OK.

Is it still common to use a spare shave brush from the PX to clean/ dust your weapon? My old PX red plastic handled boar brushes recently gave up the ghost after 30+ years so do not discount the cheep ones on post. In my opinion, a PX brush and a puck of Williams soap is still a good working combination for a wet shave.