TSD soap(s) really are that good

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Mojavered, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Mojavered

Mojavered New Member

I have recently tried a TSD soap and it is the best soap that I have ever used. I ordered three scents and am not able to get to 2 of them until Christmas, but I was smart enough to get a fall scent, pumpkin, so that my wife would not make me wait. First, let me say that the scent is wonderful if you like pumpkin, and I do! Then the ease of making a lather is, well, simple! It has never been so easy and I have not changed anything when lathering this soap. It whips right up and provides the slickest, most cushioning, lasting forever lather. Using both my Semogues, 1305 and 1520, I was able to get easily 4 passes witht the brush/soap combo. This soap has made a good thing even better and I thank you TSD! (Now I just cannot wait for Santa to bring me the Peppermint and the TSD signature)

2. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

+1 on that :happy088

I have the Sandalwood, Subzero, Egyptian Spice and Bourbon Vanilla and love each and every one of them!!

More will be soon underway, because I still want the Bay Rum and another one that I haven't decided yet.....

3. MN_Nick

MN_Nick Member

I haven't tried the soaps yet, but I can say the creams are really that good also.

TSD Signature regular cream and Mayan Gold Wheat Cream are both very nice.

4. Gnetics

Gnetics New Member

+1 on the Mayan Gold, Im finishing my sample tomorrow and will be ordering a full tub soon. How the wheat cream? Also thinking about the red Polynesian? but haven seen any reviews..

also just mashed some TSD Mojito sample with the Subzero I had left..nice stuff in my new mug...whipped up like a champ..nice and cooling great scent and cushions good, added a lil glycerin and it was great with no irritation on 4 passes.:D

5. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

I too haven't tried the soaps yet. I purchased some AS samples (which were great) and some Poraso. I was going to wait until the Poraso ran out and then try the soaps. However, the Egyptian Spice sounds really tempting. I just may have to order some sooner than I had planned.

Thanks for listening,
    Alan

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

TSD soaps are far better than other glycerin soaps I've tried. Also far harder than other glycerin soaps. So many good scents it's hard to chose. As good as most milled soaps IMHO. Crazy thing is I like her aftershave splash even better than her soaps.

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I have these TSD soaps:

Avalanche*
    Bay Rum
    Bergamot
    Tea Tree
    Sandalwood
    Lavender

*The Avalanche is not in production now, but I can say this--it's a wonderful soap, just as all of JoAnna's soaps are. :)

8. memoryleak

memoryleak Active Member

I just shaved yesterday with TSD Bay Rum cream in the wheat formulation. When I took the lid off the tub, all I could think was 11!
    as in Spinal Tap. That's not a bad thing by any means but after the more
    subtle scent of Cella and TOBS, it was intense. Are all TSD exclusives
    as up front? BTW, it lathered well and was as close to DFS as I can get right now.

9. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

The scent of the Mayan Gold is incredible - and the soap is great, too. JoAnna really knows how to turn the ingredients into (shaving-)gold.

10. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Gotta admit, I was surprised by just how good her soap really is.

I won some back in February, but I've never had much luck with glycerin soap before so I never gave it a spin. :o I ordered a full size tub for my daughter to use, and figured I would finally give it a go. Wow! This stuff is great, 3 days straight using it now, very slick and very smooth shaves. Rivals MWF and any of the tallow soaps I have used.

Great job JoAnna! :happy096

11. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

+1 to all. Joanna is indeed the berries and her soaps are absolutely top shelf. Value for the price is these days an all but forgotten idea but not at TSD. Joanna has clearly provided a top quality product at an affordable price. It really is tough to pick a favorite because they're all absolutely fantastic.

TSD soaps I have tried include: Coconut Lime Verbena, Magnolia, Iced Subzero, Wheat Cream Iced Sub Zero

TSD soaps I plan to integrate in my new rotation: West Indian Sandalwood, Blue Juniper, Amber, Iced Lime (x2 menthol please) and Acqua Di Gio type

I've not had occassion to try TSD AS splashes or colognes but my first try will be Blue Juniper (to go with the soap).

Knowing what I know about TSD products, I'll buy any of them without hesitation and know I can expect and receive a top quality product every time.

12. Mojavered

Mojavered New Member

Exactly!

13. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Anticipation

Based on many of strong recommendations here I have recently ordered TSD soap samples in: Sub Zero, Bay Rum, Mayan Gold, and Cool Wave. It will be hard to decide which to try first. The anticipation is getting me all lathered up.:sick007

14. vektor13

vektor13 New Member

Polynesian Red is my favorite followed closely by Mayan Gold and SubZero.

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I was just thinking this morning as I slathered on some TSD Cedarwood, "Man this is some great soap. I should say something at the Den."

Joanna, :signs107 !

16. jcav01

jcav01 Member

Some TSD soap & AS samples just came in today. They smell awesome. I am very much looking forward to trying out the Bay Rum in the morning. You can't beat the scents. I have found that what I have tried so far from TSD to be true artisanal products with a great price.

17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I am proud to announce I have an Iced Subzero soap on the way! YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Timely thread. Not to throw a damper, because I'm clearly the odd one out here: I can't get my samples to lather worth a darn! I've been at this a while, and can pretty much get anything else (though I've mostly worked with tripple milled lately)--including the finicky MWF--to produce gobs of good lather. I know folks have individual mileage variances with products, but the reviews for this soap and my performance with it are so at variance, that I must be doing something wrong. I'm just not getting the job done w/ TSD soap.

I'm pretty sure the problem is loading the brush, but I soak the puck while in the shower, load the brush for at least a minute, and generally do everything I know to do. but, there's not much lather and what is there disappears rapidly. I've only had this happen with a couple other soaps, both of which came from street vendors, so I wrote them off as not knowing how to make soap. TSD is clearly different: JoAnna knows her stuff. So...any tricks?

Disclaimers:
    1. I did have some modest success using a sample as a shaving stick. That apparently got more product on the brush.
    2. I moved recently, and I think my water is harder (haven't checked). I've had to load longer with some soaps, but they get there eventually.
    3. The scent (Frankenscence) is otherwordly. I don't have a strong sense of smell, and only two or three scents across all brands and all scents even penetrate: this is one. Wow. The scent alone makes me need to persevere.

Again, for anyone who trips across this and hasn't tried TSD, I'd honestly recommend you side with the majority on this one and give it a try. I just want to join that majority! Help! (Please.) :D

19. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Hey Bryan. I've read this before about the sample pucks. My only guess is the size makes it difficult to load the brush.

Do you have any container you can melt the sample in, that would give it a larger surface area to see if that makes a difference?

I'd appreciate any feedback you could give me.

20. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Doh! Another variable I should've considered. Yeah, let me try that. Thanks, JoAnna. I'm glad you took my plea **exactly** as I intended it. I'll report back in the next few days. PS: I really meant I haven't smelled anything that rocked my olfactorial world like your scents...bravo on that!!:D