Current economy of shaving

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Cutthroat_trout, Nov 14, 2009.

1. How has it affected your shaving acquisitions ? Are you buying more due to less competition on ebay ? Are you selling off ? Same as always ? Personally I have had to reduce my purchases.

2. Bukowski

Bukowski New Member

I got into the hobby to save some $$. Silly I know. Honestly, shaving stuff is still cheap compared to a lot of things. I have been buying a little less, but honestly, if I stopped buying everything today, I'd still have enough supplies to last a year :ashamed001

3. I have enough creams, soaps and DE blades for a couple generations. But there are some straights and brushes I want but not buying now.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I slowed down mostly because I have enough stuff for several years. But I have also found that there is not as much free money to just pick up stuff. I am glad I like the cheaper stuff.

Fuzzy

5. traditionalist

traditionalist New Member

i just got into this because of its tradition. im wanting 6 more Iwasaki razors but trying not to get them. as far as creams and things i have TOBS, Erasmic, and MWF. all 3 will last a long time so i dont intend on getting anything there. i only have one brush and dont think ill ever get another until i run this one into the ground. but razors....thats where i would spend all my money. a good blade is worth it. :drool

6. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

As with most of us, the economy has affected me too. Up until now I pretty much used everything I bought I haven't really bought anything just to put in a collection. The way I see it it's still cheaper than cartridges and canned goo. Where the extravagance comes in for me is buying new types of razors I haven't tried. There are a couple of DEs I think I'm going to try, and I also want to try an SE. I'll justify the expense to my other half by showing her how much money I saved in the past by wet shaving. (Do you think she'll buy that?) Yes, I've talked myself into it. I'm going to do some research on the different types of SEs and then go for it.

Thanks for listening,
    Alan

7. Zach

Zach New Member

You know how some people eat when they're unhappy?
    I seem to buy shave gear.
    I'm not happy about the state of the economy, and, I have a lot of shave gear.

8. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

I know how that feels, Zach :happy102

Same here.......... Same here :D

But then again, I enjoy shaving alot with my new gear :rolleyes:

9. Fido

Fido Member

As a hobby, shaving is great value. You can buy shaving soap for less than a pint of some beers. Old DE razors cost very little and blades also. And there is incredible value in boar brushes. Mugs and bowls are virtually given away in charity shops.

So keep spending and don't apologise.

10. I hope you aren't saying that you are sacrificing beer ! ;)

11. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Absolutely no change at all.

12. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

Shaving is a great hobby in that you do it everyday. I used to be a big DVD buff , so I just stopped buying DVDs and supplemented with shaving gear. I play a ton of golf as well, but these hobbies you can only enjoy a few times a month.

Once you accumulate a good bit of stuff, you can sell it on BST to make money for other purchases. Point being is you can get away with buying little "treats' here and there and your wallet want be too hurt.

13. rainman

rainman New Member

I've been having to sell more than I want to lately.