Favourite Travel Kit Items

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Grey Duster, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Grey Duster

Grey Duster New Member

Hi, What is your favourite travel kit consist of? I am new to wet shaving but will never go back to electric and have yet to look at the items I will need. Cheers.

2. flylot

flylot New Member

Sort of built one as I went. Since I am fairly new at all of this. I put my first brush (Omega 10066) in a large pill container (thank-you Walgreen Drug Store) and a puck of Col Conk in a small plastic screw top tub via The Container Store along with a 2 oz sampler bottle of Clubman (available from the Pinaud website) in my dopp kit. The razor varies between the Schick injector (when I fly, which is often) to keep the TSA guys at security happy, and a straight that is kept in a leather sheath from Classicshaving.com.

Have I missed anything? Oh yeah, styptic pencil from the Pinaud site as well. Covers it I think. When I surface travel I also carry a short travel stopp. that's about it.....

Would love to hear others on this.

3. riffin

riffin Active Member

The Sampson Wee Scot brush is a great size for traveling, but it's also in deep rotation at home!

4. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Most of the time I carry on, so I bring a disposable. If I check luggage, then I'll pack a '66 SS with some blades. I just got a Lord 3 piece as part of TSD October give-away. I'll probably take that on my next trip.

I have a "Baxter's of California" travel brush (made by Muhle, I think) I bought many years ago. It's pure badger and very nice. I'm not sure its still available under that name, but Muhle still sells one like it.

I have some glycerin soap in a small wooden bowl I take as well.

SCS ASB

That's about it.

5. TravelingJ

TravelingJ New Member

I have no problems fitting my bowl, soap, cream, 2 aftershaves, and preshave oil all in my dopp with my shampoo, shower gel, 2 deodorants, cologne, and shower poof. It's just a small basic kit that I grabbed at the local store.

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

For those new to wet shaving.. an altoids tin works great for most 3 piece razors (tech, etc..). Put some foam sheets in there to protect the razor.

The metal cofin case that the old Valet razors came in are also good for many three piece razors.

My travel shaving kit...

a Valet case with a tech, a NEW, or an old style razor, an altoids case with three small vials (witch hazel, after shave, and some skin remedy (corn huskers + glycerin+aloe) in case I get a little irritation), a small boar brush in a pill bottle, and a small twist open container with soap or a small shaving stick.

7. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

My travelkit consist of an:

Omega 63185 Best Badger brush with it's own container and dripstand (very convenient)
    Small Proraso tub (75 grams) or a Tabac shaving stick
    Bic disposable (when flying with only handluggage)
    Or my new Weishi (checked in luggage or train/car travel)
    After Shave or Cologne whatever I pick at that moment

Now, the Weishi I have a little over a week now and is really pleasant! It has it's own plastic box (with little mirror) that is nice and sturdy!

Happy travels :happy088

8. highball

highball Member

Thats a great idea

9. saltypete

saltypete New Member

My shaving kit when on the road is:

Trumpers Best Badger Brush
    T&H Preshave oil (I love this stuff)
    Gillette # 16, I always fill the blade holder in the case with more blades than I will ever need
    T&H or Proraso Cream, basically because they are in a tube and are thus easier to pack.
    Alum Block and Thayers Witch Hazel
    2-4 colognes depending on how long I am away and what functions I will be attending.
    Shaving mug, I've tried using the cereal bowls which are in hotel rooms but they don't hold the heat very well.

Pete

10. Razorpete

Razorpete New Member

dopp kit with inside sleeve for razor - useful!

For a travel kit, what I really find useful is a dopp bag which has a padded sleeve on the inside flap that you can put a razor safely into. Saves having to worry about it getting scratched or knocked around. I have an osgoode marley dopp kit which does this nicely.

11. nealf

nealf New Member

I am about to put together a travel kit for this holiday season, consistening of:

Gillette Tech
    Ogallala Shave Stick
    The Body Shop Synthetic Brush
    Feather Blade

Gotta find something to keep it all in, probably a tupperware. Unless I can find an altoid dish!

12. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

Overnight

Gillette Ball End Old
    NOS Wilkinsons
    Mennen Shave Stick
    Body Shop Synthetic brush
    Alum Block
    Booster Bay Rum Aftershave

Longer trip

All the above plus two straights and a strop.

goshawk

13. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Here's what I use:
    Omega travel boar
    Arko or Speick Shave Stick - shave sticks are great for travel
    Weishi DE or Mach 3 (for carry-on only trips)
    TSD sample size AS
    Alum stone for shaving and deodorant

14. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

hmm... we're traveling for the holidays by car. here's what I'm taking:

GEM featherweight w/ pack of GEM stainless blades. The razor fits perfectly in a bakelite micromatic case. The blades come in a handy dispenser.
    can of shaving gel goop. same one I've been using for travel for 3 years now.
    brut cologne w/ screw on lid.

and that's that.

15. TuttoItaliaOnline

TuttoItaliaOnline New Member

The traveling kit varies with the purpose of traveling. Is it in a hotel for work then it has to be with the small and "quick" items. If we're going on our vacation to Italy, then the kit will consist of all the gear I have and anything that takes time will be there too.

If it's a good campsite with real hot running water and it's hot enough to go without a shirt, then the shaving ritual is something I can really look forward too.

So next year, I'll see if there are some other shaving-junks in Italy!

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Goop you say.... :( That takes the fun outta traveling LOL

Fuzzy

17. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Ove of my favourite items that I bring when I travel is my Travalong Razor as seen here beside a good looking W&B str8:

[​IMG]

18. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I have a LT Gillette NEW with the brass baby bull handle by Bob, along with Astra Superior Blades for a short trip. I add a 4/8 Straight and travel sized strop for a longer trip. All packed up with a small SS lather bowl, an AOS Lavender Starter set and the itty bitty badger brush that came with the starter set. It all fits into a toiletry kit from LL Bean along with the travel mirror, shampoo, lotions and the potions I need. The whole thing hangs from a door knob, shower rod, or tree limb, and is small enough to drop into checked luggage too.
    whacky097:happy070

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I travel with a WWII issue G3 1912 model Gem. It has it's own case that includes blades. I have a plastic snap cover container of Williams and my synthetic Burma Shave brush in a pill bottle. I put some W/H and After shaves in small travel bottles. all packs into a nice kit.

Fuzzy