New razer for beginner?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Thandor, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Thandor

Thandor New Member

So I've shaved with a shick injector maybe 50 times with moderate success. Mine has a bit of damage on it and I'm thinking of going to a safety razor. Any recommendations?

2. highball

highball Member

a vintage Gillette Super Speed or Tech would be my choice

3. GrimRep_er

GrimRep_er New Member

I just started shaving w/a safety razor and went with a Merkur 34C HD, I really like it. You can get it off amazon for about $37. You can probably get Gillette Super Speed razors off ebay for much less. I actually ordered one of those as well. These were the suggestions most gave me prior to me making the purchase.

I've already been wet shaving for 6....7 days tops! LOL!

Good luck!

4. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

+1 on that :happy088

5. Idgie

Idgie New Member

+2

6. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

+3

(they're great!)

7. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

As I have never gotten more than a decent shave with a vintage Gillette I would really go for a Merkur Razor..

Either the 34 or why not the 23 (Long handled).. If you fancy some great looking razor Edwin Jagger has a couple that looks great and shaves super..

Go for Merkur.. Thats my advice..

8. techni

techni New Member

Great suggestions.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Stick with Single edge... go GEM!!!

Fuzzy

10. cem

cem Guest

Goodfella

Buy a Goodfella. It is almost impossible to cut yourself with a Goodfella yet it can shave as close as any razor on the market.

11. Razorpete

Razorpete New Member

As a fellow noob, I got a merkur 23c a while back and am very happy. Just a great razor.

12. saltypete

saltypete New Member

My first DE was a Merkur HD. It was a great intro to DE shaving and less than 12 months later I own over a dozen vintage Gillettes. For my next razor, I'm thinking abouit a slant.

Pete

13. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

:sihns011 I've said it before, I'll say it again 1912 Gem Jr. is the best starter razor ever made bar none....period

14. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

NDC Tech.

15. rainman

rainman New Member

16. MarkP

MarkP Member

+4

These razors are part of my rotation. Can't go wrong!

17. Iakona

Iakona New Member

I'm a total noob so keep that in mind...
    I started with a gillette slim adjustable. I like the option of moving to a more aggressive setting when I become comfortable with the setting I'm on. I don't know what they usually go for, or even if I overpaid but I paid about $25 shipped for one that was in pretty good condition.
    The common argument against adjustables seems to be that that is just one more variable to a new shaver.

HTH
    Jason

18. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

+1 and is should be a 1912 Model GEM, GEM Jr. or EverReady.

19. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

People recommend Merkurs, particularly the 34C, to newbies.

I don't, finding its blade exposure to be too great for a beginner.

A Tech, vintage or new, would be a far, far wiser solution.

20. zimmer

zimmer Member

When I returned to DE shaving after about a 30 year layoff, I couldn't remember which DE I had used in my younger days and had forgotten about different blade angles, etc. I found a Schick Krona which got me back in the groove. It's not aggressive at all but gives a great shave. They are, or were, a few months ago, fairly inexpensive.
    Super Speeds work well and are pretty cost effective, as is the Slim adjustable.
    I settled on the Fatboy, which seems very familiar and is probably what I had back in the day. It may be a good choice...if you can find one at a good price, due to the balance and ability to adjust from very mild to fairly aggressive.