Trying out a Tech

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Steve Mack, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Steve Mack

Steve Mack Member

Well I decided to try out my $3.00 Gillette Ball End Tech. No date code on this one. You guys were right about it being mild. Fresh Gillette 7 sharp edge blade. Made several passes until I couldn't hear or feel anymore cutting action. Ran my fingers ATG and felt plenty of whisker left. This shaved like my Super Adj. set on 2. It also seemed to clog quickly. A lot more rinsing and swishing needed. This is definitely for a cautious beginner or perhaps for the those guys in that other thread who were talking about shaving while drunk. This will go on the shelf with my antique shaving mug, for show only.

2. Idgie

Idgie New Member

At least you tried it!

3. Turnz2

Turnz2 Member

Don't give up so easily. It's a good razor and some day when you're in a big hurry it will be just the ticket.

4. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

you might see if you can get ahold of a Gillette NEW next. They're more aggressive but use the same angle as a tech. I love my NEW and I had the same reaction to a standard Tech.

5. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

Tech with a Feather blade is a nice combo

6. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Might also want to try the Fat Handled version of the Tech. Seems to shave a little differently. With a "Swede" or an Astra Platinum, I have no trouble getting BBS.

7. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Well the Gillette 7 O'Clock yellows are sharp blades - I never got a great shave with a tech on one. However, the 7 O'Clock Blacks and Astras have gotten be BBS shaves with a tech (both fat handled and ball end).

I agree with the suggestion of the NEW. It will get you a much closer shave than the tech. But not all techs are the same. I find the original techs that had no date code give a better shave than the later date coded varieties and those give a better shave than the aluminum models. If the cap has a slot or pair of slots that fit into triangular indents on the base plate, I can get a good shave out of it. If it has four little corner spots and no slot, then I usually don't get a good shave out of it.

8. Steve Mack

Steve Mack Member

I guess I will try again when I get some Feathers. I do have to admit this razor felt good in the hand. The balance was great and it was very good at getting to the area under my nose. In the meantime I have a Fatboy arriving soon. Looked good in the pics and hopefully it is mechanically correct. I also have a West Coast order coming with a couple creams and different blades to try.

9. SirWhiskers

SirWhiskers Member

A more aggressive version of the Tech is its clone, the Feather Portable. Use a nice Tech handle on the Feather head and I think you can get a smooth shave.

10. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

The funny thing about this thread,is the Tech is as good a shaver as any Gillette made.:happy102 It just cost less than the others.:happy102:happy102:happy102

11. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Agreed. But I will describe it a bit different. The Tech is not as "sexy" as so many of the other Gillettes and also most Single Edge razors. But give me a Tech with either handle and a 7 O'Clock SharpEdge and I will show you a combo that gives me BBS all the time.

12. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

When I first bought my Tech (a 3 piece NDC) I thought it was the lamest razor ever. My experience was close to yours initially. I kind felt like I was shaving with a plastic knife or kid's toy razor. I was near certain that the Tech would be one of those experiments that just ended with it spending a lot of time riding the pine. Then a funny thing happened, the more I shaved with it the more I liked it. It's still not my most aggressive shaver by a long shot but I've gotten used to it and can get at least DFS results with just a couple passes. Don't put it away just yet, give it a chance. It will never be super aggressive, but I think you'll find that eventually it turns into a fairly enjoyable shave.

13. SmoovD

SmoovD Member

I have never bought into the idea that an aggressive razor is necessarily better than a mild razor. Love the Tech, in all of its many forms. With a sharp blade it takes me only slightly longer to get a good shave than with a more aggressive razor. And with very little chance of burn or irritation.

14. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

aggressive razor does not always mean better razor. It all depends on your face and your preferences. I have one that's too aggressive to use regularly (open comb micromatic). It's nice to have but useless for daily shaving.

This is a long way of saying I think you're right.