C&E Sandalwood Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Iakona, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Iakona

Iakona New Member

Just figured I'd give my recommendation for this soap as C&E is running a 20% sale this weekend online and in the stores.

Keep in mind that I am a total noob and I keep changing my routine as expressly recommended against by seasoned veterans :) I am trying to keep most things the same, but I just started trying the OCM method and that is the latest change.

I only used this soap just this morning, and only for 1 ATG pass after shaving last night at about 10 PM.
    The only quality products I can compare it against are MWF and CO Bigelow premium shave cream. All in all I'd say that it:

Lathers just as well as MWF and CO B.
    Lathers easier than MWF and almost as easy as CO B.
    The quality of the lather is pretty equivalent to the 2 others, seems to have plenty of cushion and lubrication.
    I don't have much of a nose for scents... I like the MWF scent more. The C&E Sandalwood smells nice though, and the aroma seems to be more complex than MWF.

All in all I'd say that it is a great cheaper alternative to MWF. I wish I'd have gotten it in the bowl (for $14) but they were out at my local C&E.

I know that 1 use isn't much for a review, but I wanted to encourage anyone who was on the fence to take advantage of the 20% off at C&E

Jason

2. cem

cem Guest

mediocre lubrication

I find that it does not lubricate particularly well. I have a slightly used puck of the stuff that I would give away for the cost of shipping except that Canada Post charges as much to ship a puck of soap as somebody would pay to purchase it.

3. Iakona

Iakona New Member

I guess you'll just have to throw it in with whatever you sell next?
    I felt it between my fingers and it seemed to have good lubrication. As I said I only did the 1 pass but I'll get to know it, and the rest of my creams/soaps better. As my technique improves and my experience grows, I may come to agree with you - but maybe not as well, YMMV I guess.

4. cem

cem Guest

Actually, my test does not distinguish between cushioning and lubrication. I compare soaps by lathering up the two sides of my face with different soaps on different brushes then shaving comparable spots against the grain using the same edge of the blade. Tested this way, C&E's soap shaved less comfortably than several others.

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Ummm...but how do you know if it's the brush or the soap/cream then? A solid test would use the same brush, different soap/cream on each side. Plus, the same edge? Well, that edge started new, but is used once by the time it gets to the other side.

6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Canada Post is a gang of robbers. :mad:

7. Iakona

Iakona New Member

I suppose I should mention that I add about 5 drops of glycerin to any soaps I use. Maybe the C&E benefits greatly from added glycerin.

8. jkenton

jkenton New Member

Yeah, adding glycerin would probably increase the slickness of any soap...

9. Justin Low

Justin Low Member

I find that my puck of C&E Sienna gives very slick lather, without needing to dope it with glycerin.

It is however, quite sensitive to the water ratio. I load the brush for a full minute, and add water gradually.

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :happy097

11. Iakona

Iakona New Member

A full minute - wow. I may have to try that. I'm still finding out what works well and what doesn't.

12. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

I like the C&E Sandalwood soap. When it was closeout priced at $3.00/puck about a year ago I picked up a few. They should last me a decade before I use them all up in my rotation.

13. Mojavered

Mojavered New Member

I find that the C&E soaps work very well. I like them much, much better than the DR Harris soaps. I like it just as much, in a different way though, as the TSD soaps. So far, the TSD and C&E soaps are my favs. I have yet to compare it to the monday wednesday friday (can't help it, I always think that when I see MWF) soap. Maybe someday.....

14. Iakona

Iakona New Member

I said above that I wasn't too hot about the scent, but it has really grown on me - my favorite scent now (out of my limited products)