Getting a Str8... need strop!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Iakona, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Iakona

Iakona New Member

Ok I haven't done my reading on strops yet, but I am getting a Str8 for christmas (my wife rejected the confusing options I gave her - told me to just pick out what I want :D)
    I'd like to pick up a cheap strop to get me by for a while until I am ready to get a quality strop. Can someone point me at a cheap beginner/practice strop? I was thinking about trying to pick this one up... http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Professional...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item56377fea10
    As cheap ebay strops go, it seems to
    Anyone care to comment?

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I can't quite recall exactly but the Straight Razor guys steer clear of anything labelled Select Brand. I don't personally think a $10 strop would be worth getting at all. Take that $10 and invest in a Tony Miller beginners strop, a Rup Razor Strop,or even a Illinois strop from a barber supply house might work for you. Don't bid on that Select though.

I started with straights about a year ago and research on the forums about all things straights is vital. You are doing the right thing asking.

3. mainakae

mainakae New Member

I bough a Dovo, a small one, with two sides: canvas and leather, and I really like it. It's narrow, but doing X pases you cover the whole blade perfectly. It's also great for pasting (the canvas side). Don't forget to get some leather aconditioner and perhaps some paste (for what I've read here, CrOx is your best choice).

Cheers from another noob!!

4. maierar

maierar New Member

I'd avoid a $10 strop as I would the Kenrup. The Tony Miller is excellent, but expensive. Probably the best strop for a beginner (by that I mean someone who does not have several different types of grinds and who is still developing proficiency) is right here at the TSD store: http://www.theshaveden.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=103
    This is a very good strop, inexpensive, and it will get you going.

5. What's wrong with the Rup Razor strops? I've had the cheap one ($20) for a long time and it does a perfectly good job.
    I now have much more expensive strops (Cordovan etc.) and I still use the Rup Razor one with good results.
    All the work it requires seems to be some neatsfoot oil every few months.

Maybe I got lucky, but I didn't see anything wrong with it --- and for the price, I don't see how it can be beat.

6. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I can only reiterate what is said about the Tony Miller strops, they are magnificent!

It might sound posh, but I would also stay clear of a $10 strop off ebay, I think the strop form the TSD store is a much better buy. I don't know about the Rup Razor strops as I have no experience from them but I have only seen happy customer testimonials!

7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I always recommend one strop to start

Basically there are three types of strops

$20 and less on e-bay crap

$20-$50 Good solid strops

$50 - $$$ Premium Quality Strops

Start with a middle strop google Illinois #827 should be about $30-$35 shipped this is a great strop..
    Unlike most middle priced strops it has a linen component and really good linen to boot...

Later if you catch the same AD's as the rest of us look at the SRD premiums the TM's the Japanese Kanyama (sp) ask JimR this are sweet...

8. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Agreed, TM strops are outstanding, and when you consider the craftsmanship, they really are reasonably priced. Compare the quality and price to a Dovo strop and you'll see what I mean.

That said, you should start with a good low to mid-priced strop because you will probably nick it occasionally as you learn.

Jordan

9. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

There's nothing wrong with Ken's $20 strop for a beginner. It has great value. If you want something better, Ken's Paladin strop is an excellent, premium strop.

10. Iakona

Iakona New Member

I don't remember where I read it, but I recall that someone offers a practice strop for $9 with the order of another strop. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

11. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Tony Miller offers that.

12. sffone

sffone Member

I highly recommend that you start with one of Ken Rup's (RupRazor) starter strops called a "Filly." The $20 price tag includes shipping. This is the strop I started with and I was so pleased with it that I bought a second one.

13. I recommend the Tony Miller Latigo strop with the practice strop. Its a little more money up front but you wont want another strop. I started with cheaper strops and eventually bought the TM. I would have saved money just getting the TM to start. The practice strop has more quality than most of the mid range strops without the bells and whistles.

14. Malacoda

Malacoda Active Member

+1

I'm of the same frame of mind. I know that once I'm finished dipping my toe in the water and get feel for things I'll want to buy a proven, better quality, well rated, higher end version of the item I'm using/interested in - whether it be cream, soaps, teas, whiskey, a cellpone, a TV, or laptop.

So, when it came to strops, since I knew I'd eventually want a Tony Miller, instead of buying a starter strop... then having to worry about buying a nicer strop 1-2 months later... and a TM after that, I just made it easy and saved myself a step (and a few bucks) by going right to a Tony Miller at the start and adding his starter strop to my purchase for an additional $7.50.

Have been using the starter for about a month now, am getting my stropping groove down, then will move to the good TM strop in another 4-6 weeks once I'm really sure I've got good muscle-memory set for my stropping (although "the TM good strop" is a poor description since his starter strop is a VERY nice piece of leather and a good strop unto itself for just $7.50).

Bottom line: Whatever name/brand strop you have in mind as your end goal, if they offer that strop with a starter strop add-on for just a few dollars more, you'll probably save a few $ if you go straight to that rather than working your way up through 3 or 4 strops to get there.

15. sffone

sffone Member

The most important thing, IMO, is to avoid ebay strops unless you really know what you're doing. Even name brand strops purchased over ebay can be a disappointment for a variety of reasons.

16. owen

owen Member

Well what was your decision? To make you more confused why not a paddle strop. keep one side unpasted for daily stropping, having the paddle flat on a table and stropping less chance to roll the edge, and if you do have the other sides pasted to fix the edge or to just keep it sharp. I have been doing this past 2 years with a tony miller 4 side all sides pasted and a hanging from him. Its kept my edges shavable while i've learned.

17. Iakona

Iakona New Member

Thanks for all the help guys... My wife convinced me to just spend some money on myself so I ended up with a new dovo astrale and an illinois #827 russian strop for a pretty good package deal. An interesting thing about the russian strop - since the stropping surface is not made from the top grain, it should be easier to sand out nicks :)

18. For those who are unfamiliar or confused with this Tony Miller fellow, he is...

www.thewellshavedgentleman.com

I have two of his strops (a hanging and a paddle) and they are outstanding.

I also have a Bismarck strop. It started cupping after about 4 months use. I suppose that's not completely uncommon among strops, but I was pretty disappointed as I paid about $45 at a knife store for it. Apparently there are ways to correct this problem, but like I said... disappointing...

19. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Some of the #827's need a touch of oil when you get them...

Neatsfoot oil from a cobbler or a saddle shop is the best and what is recommended ...

Put the oil on and old rough washcloth then rub it in with that DO NOT put the oil directly on the strop...
    To test it first rub the strop vigorously with the Palm edge of yer hand then bend it gently from the back and see how dry it is by looking at the bend in the leather...

Don't over oil, that is actually worse than it being dry... It is better to oil it lightly over three days, than to just load it on...