William's Mugg Soap sucks

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Dr. Fitness, Dec 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Williams worked fine for me after I figured out how to face lather. It was the first soap that I used with a brush, so when I initially got bad results with it, I figured it was just me. It was. About my third or fourth try, everything clicked.

Of course, it may also have helped that I was using a really cheap Tweezerman brush. :D

2. Nick Freeh

Nick Freeh Well-Known Member

I used Williams back in the 1960's when I couldn't find Old Spice anymore in the stores in the small town where I lived then. This was in the pre-Internet era, of course, and I didn't know that there were other soaps out there. I remember Williams as lathering OK, but the lather tended to dry out rather quickly. I didn't like it as well as Old Spice, but it got the job done. In the 70's, I was seduced into shaving with cartridge razors and canned goo. Shaving soap and DE shaving gear was disappearing from the stores. I'm very grateful for the Internet and shaving forums now, giving me needed information and the ability to use great products from around the world.

A few weeks ago, I purchased a puck of Williams with the idea of using it for the Friday Grandpa shaves. I haven't used it yet, but this thread has motivated me to use it this coming Friday. I think I'll try using a few drops of glycerine with the Williams or maybe superlather it with Ingram or Proraso cream. Who knows--maybe I'll become a Williams convert. At least, I'll be reminded of my Grandpas, both of whom most likely used Williams.

Vance

3. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I didn't have any luck with Williams and thought I didn't like it for quite awhile. Finally, I milled a puck into a bowl, wet it down and packed it tight.

Now, using an Omega boar brush, I get tons of delightful lather that lasts and gives me a very nice shave.

Will it take the place of the higher end soaps/creams? Nope but it won't be ignored either.

4. MaxP

MaxP Member

+1 and Right On.

I have used soaps that WERE HORRIBLE. Williams is not one of them.

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I doubt it. I can think of a few higher priced than Williams soaps that don't get great reviews.

Everyone's got their own experiences to share, I guess. That's why we're here.

6. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Or they could take it off the market for a few years and then get $100+ a puck and it would be the best soap ever made, like Yardley ;)

7. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

Williams is a good soap and many, many people use it, like it, and have no problems with it. Those that do have problems with the lather having no cushion or drying out on them can't blame the soap. The problem is the user. And the problems usually are a result of not spending adequate time creating the lather. With Williams you need:

• More product than you think
    • More water than you think.
    • More stirring that you think.
    • More time than you think.

Give it more and you'll get more.

8. Queen of Blades

No thanks. Work is work, me time is me time.

9. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Well played good Sir, you are spot on. Early on I also was a
    Williams detractor for just this reason. It seemed I could never get adequate water or lather. Once I figured out your list, it did fine for me.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I agree. That's why I don't use MWF.

11. Queen of Blades

Me neither. ;)

12. LS48

LS48 New Member

For me, one of the primary attractions of wet shaving is to indulge in a little luxury and slow the whole process down. I used to specialize in the 2 minute shave with canned gel and a cartridge razor, but I take longer now using a brush and working for a closer shave. I like it better this way.

13. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Very well put Sarge, I know I enjoy shaving so much more now that I switched from carts and canned goop, I think many of us feel that way.

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My friend, if I tell you that after 41 years of shaving, I used canned stuff for only 6 or 7 shaves from all my life, will you believe me? A cartridge razor, like an M3, or a Sensor I used for 5 shaves--is that insane from me? ;)

15. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Echo that

16. Mojavered

Mojavered New Member

Easiest to fill the soap mug full of hot water before you get in the shower. This softens it up pretty good and it works just fine.

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Some how I just found this. ..

LEAVE THE WILLIAMS ALONE Young man...

There you go... Good man

Well put.

I feel sorry for folks that can not learn the skill to use Williams. I can not say that I have problems getting a good lather.. or it drying out... I have hard water here and have lived in the sticks where we had well water.. does not get harder then that. I get as good a shave with my Williams and Colgate Soaps ( the Colgate love is a whole nother thread.) as I do with much more expensive soaps. At a fraction of the cost.

There is also something to be said for using a traditional product like the Williams Mug Soap .. specially when I use one of my Gem Juniors.

If you do not like it then don't use it.. but don't blame your lack of technique on the product. :D:happy102

Fuzzy

18. Razorpete

Razorpete New Member

actually the US participation in the Barbary wars referred to in the "shores of Tripoli" Marine hymn occurred in 1805, long before the founding of the Williams company.

19. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Wow, I am shocked that it took this long for a certain rabbit to join in the conversation.

It comes down to this... if it doesn't work for you and you don't want to try to make it work - fine. No problem, but don't bad-mouth the soap because it won't work for you. Not all soaps are the same and they don't all require the exact same technique. If all soaps were the same, then many of us are wasting a lot of money trying all these different soaps. If you don't want to vary your technique, then don't put this in your rotation. Plain and simple...

However, if you want to have the connection to older shaving techniques and older products that carry you back generations, then give Williams another try using the techniques that have been mentioned.

If you do work out your technique with Williams, you will find an excellent and cheap soap. However, if it isn't your preference, then fine.

20. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I've used Williams since I began to D/E shave. Not had any problems with it. Can't beat the price and works into a nice lather. I don't have sensitive skin, so the soap hasn't been a problem. I guess you develop a rather tough hide after 25 years in the garbage business. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.