FS: Nakayama Suita, Maruichi Japanese Finishing Hone **SOLD**

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by ZethLent, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZethLent

ZethLent Member

I bought this hone on a whim along with another Japanese natural and have decided I am going to keep the other one, as it is larger and more attractive colour-wise.

This is as the title states one of the lauded Nakayama Japanese finishing hones. It is a Suita variety and has a kiita and asagi colour blend. There are a few visual lines that look like cracks; these do not interfere with honing and are only cosmetic. Added character in my opinion.

The stamps indicate that it is a superb hone as can be determined from the 'Maruichi' stamp (the small one with the circle around it). The middle left stamp reads 'for razors'. This is indicitive of both the quality of the hone and the size (as it is a designated razor size of hone).

Dimensions are 140mm long by 85mm wide by 20mm thick. The sides have been painted with laquer to protect the internal integrity of the hone. Even still, the hone should be stored in a place that is condesation free and I should never be submerged in water for an extended period of time.

I have tested this hone and it provides a very fine finish that I am sure anyone will be happy with.

A word of warning though. Japanese suita hones (as this one is) can have very small gas bubbles in the strata (click here for a close up example of this phenomenon). This one does also. This feature is not something to be put off by. I only warn that if one wants to work up a slurry on this hone it should be done with a small diamond plate that will not 'polute' the exposed gas pocket (i.e. 'su') with the slurry building hone's differing grit). I would recommend a a DMT (or the like) for the job and there will be no worries. I personally use a very hard ceramic #800 hone to build a slurry on my natural hones. As long and the ceramic hone is harder, then there should also be no worry. I still recommend a small DMT though, better to be safe than sorry.

This is an excellent specimine that was mined about 60 years old. The stamps are all intack and legitimate.

The price (includes insured express shipping worldwide) is $325.

Paypal only.

The shipping method I use (Japan EMS) is express and should arrive in less than a week to most places worldwide.

If interested please PM me.

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ZethLent

ZethLent Member

Bump. Trades are considered as well as Best Offers

3. ZethLent

ZethLent Member

This stone is pending... SOLD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.