Help With Design Idea

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Pureslab, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

Would like some input/opinions from fellow members regarding this idea - I'm thinking of making a single edge TTO Gem style razor that will accept standard DE blades with one edge exposed.

Would be in stainless steel with same head positioning

Think it would work ?

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You mean a head like a DE just with one side...or a head like the old Gem's.

Fuzzy

3. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

Like an Old Gem but modified to accept any standard DE blade with only one edge exposed.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Interesting ideal. Would love to see that.

Fuzzy

5. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

It seems entirely feasible to me.

6. rainman

rainman New Member

Even if you have the shape of an SE, without the stiff SE blade the shave will not be the same.

7. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Sounds like an interesting concept. But in my opinion a GEM TTO clone is not the way to go.

Use SE razors on a regular basis and I found the GEM Micro(Junk)omatic to be one of the worst shavers out there. Just did not like it they way it shaved, the way it felt in my hand, on my face, and even the way it looked.

Now if you would do something like a clone of the GEM/ER 1912 model or one of the old lather catcher models then maybe I would be interested.

As for using one edge of a DE blade I agree with Rainman that using such a blade might cause a different type of shave. Now that shave could be a good one but also could be a lousy one. Still it would be interesting to try.

I suggest that you go over to the "The Original Safety" and throw your idea around on that SE dedicated site for even more input. You can click on the link in my signature to get there.

Good luck with your dream.

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I thought that was the whole idea. I have no idea if that will be a good or bad thing.

9. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Sorry. I just don't see the point.

In order for your razor to work properly wouldn't you need the basic head geometry of a DE for blade bend and exposure? I assumed DE blades are flexible because all razors I've used bend the blade to set up proper angle. Your concept would be like having a DE, but only using one side just so you could call it a SE razor.

Someone else suggested that you just design a proper SE razor designed to work with the stiffer single edge blades. I would guess the appeal of SE razors is their different head geometry and the stiffer blade (never used one, but I'm curious). A new SE razor might be a huge hit.

10. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

Just like the variety of DE blades out there compared to SE blades and ergonomics of the tilted head - it would have to engineered properly allowing a nice blade exposure with a positive locking mechanism.

11. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

This is a novice question, so I'm not questioning your knowledge, rainman--just want to make sure you understand that.

Is the stiffness of the blade due to the overall thickness, or because of the spine on the back of the single blade? Or both?

If it's primarily the spine, couldn't the razor emulate a SE blade in the way a DE is seated? A very tight flat brace on the back edge, maybe?

You'd be wasting the back edge, but you'd compensate by blade availability.

12. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

Interesting idea. I don't think it will work though. You would probably have to make an entirely different head that doesn't even resemble a GEM at all. At that point, you might as well be using a standard DE razor

13. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I'm learning to shave with my Gems these days, or I have learned, and am getting better at it. I do like SE razors. I guess if you make one that takes DE blades, then you can flip the blade around after a couple of shaves to use the other edge, provided that the razor holds it in a way that won't dull the edge not being used. Like others who have commented, though, I don't know how the more flexible DE blade would affect the SE style shave. Maybe the way it's clamped in there would hold it more rigid that with a DE razor?

Although I'm intrigued, with 3 Gems already, and an Ever-Ready in the mail, I can't see myself buying one of these, unless there's some selling point that I'm not thinking of. I suppose if traditional SE blades became unavailable, that might do it, but I don't know if that's going to happen any time soon.

By the way, off topic, but I do have an iKon handle on a Tech head, and I love that. :rolleyes:

14. rainman

rainman New Member

It is the thickness/stiffness of the blade.

15. rainman

rainman New Member

Spinyeel bought an SE razor off ebay that used DE blades. Maybe he can report here to get an idea what happens.

16. magic

magic New Member

I suggest a Classic Cobra type razor that would accept Gem type SE blades.

17. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

That would be this one. It is very poorly made but the concept is good.

Attached Files:

18. riffin

riffin Active Member

Yes. Gold Tone made SE blades for GEM that did not hacve a spine. I alway wondered what,if anything, that did to the blade angle.

19. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I have some Gem blades that are actually double edge. They called them "reversible." They were labeled that they were only for use in the micromatic, because that razor used the center pin to lock the blade in place instead of the spine. I am sure you could do something similar, the hard part will be getting the blade stiff, if you are looking for a SE like shave. Otherwise you could make it shave like a DE but only have one edge exposed, which seems strange, but like you said, some people really like how the shaving angle and feel of them. I am very interested to see where this goes!

20. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

If someone could make a quality S/E razor that accepts S/E blades I would be the first in line to give it a go.;):D