Do You Cover your Soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by dreadpirate, Dec 13, 2009.

1. dreadpirate

dreadpirate Active Member

I have been keeping my soap in a bowl uncovered. I am wondering if that makes the soap get "stale" over time as opposed to a soap in a covered bowl.

2. bperryman1

bperryman1 Member

Mine gets left open.

3. Turnz2

Turnz2 Member

If it came in a covered container it gets covered. Most don't so they're uncovered.

4. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Since Im moronic when it comes to shaving soap I think that about 120 of my soaps are covered, I always go with the wooden bowl option when aviable.. Or any bowl that comes with the soap.. Plastic or wood.. But I think I have around 15 un-covered soaps, cause they came with an open ceramic bowl or so.. And maybe 5-6 soaps that I have actually put in a bowl or mug without lid..

5. mercV12

mercV12 Member

I don't have that many so I leave them uncovered. I used them often enough.

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Uncovered soaps will lose scent eventually, but performance should remain just fine. Some other members here have used 30+ year old soaps and report great performance (but little to no scent).

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den!

I keep mine in individual ziplock sandwich bags.

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Some of my soaps are covered, some are not.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The scent might not be as good over time.. but not sure how much time that takes.

Fuzzy

10. sffone

sffone Member

I leave mine open because I only use a couple of soaps during any given period so they get used up pretty quickly. Also, I have a very small bathroom so I don't have a lot of room for shaving stuff. I have to keep a lot of my shaving goodies in another room down the hall.

11. MN_Nick

MN_Nick Member

I usually keep mine open after shaving but then move it into a closed container for storage. Sometimes I'll leave it uncovered for a week or two depending on what I'm using.

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

My soaps, about a dozen, are in old shaving mugs and they stay uncovered for the most part , out of laziness and use. I cut small covers out of wax paper and put inside my mugs sometimes, this will keep the dust off. I used to believe that my soaps needed to be stored air tight but I don't notice any significant difference to them left uncovered. YMMV

13. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

I've found out for myself that the scent will weaken over time if I don't cover the soaps, so they get covered. One recent exception is the puck of Williams that is partially used. (I ran out of covers for my mugs.) When I used to cover it, the scent was almost nonexistent if I uncovered it to take a whiff. Now that I'm leaving it uncovered the scent is always there. Strange!

14. I keep my Tabac in a standard coffee mug, but I happened to have a small round metal lid from a tea infuser that was the perfect size. I just use it to prevent dust, it's not sealed at all.

15. Loner16

Loner16 New Member

I've always left mine open and never noticed a difference...

16. steppenwolph

steppenwolph Member

I do both. The glycerin soap that I melted into a coffee mug gets left open. The Prairie Creations soaps got milled into a lidded container, so they get closed up. It makes my shave den look a little neater.

17. The Doctor

The Doctor New Member

I heard that soap looses its sent if it's not covered. I keep my MWF in an aluminum tin courtesy of West Coast Shaving, my spare Col. Conk in a Ziplock tub, and cover my current mini shave round (Godrej) with my lather bowl. Maybe I have too much soap.

Maybe...

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nah. No such thing.

19. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Doctor - You've got it backwards. You need more soap :D