what other hobbies do you have?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Dr. Fitness, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I'm a bit of an audiophile myself. What's your setup? I've got a Bryston Amp,
    Threshold pre-amp, B&W 600 series speakers. On another note if you had to pick one classical recording and one jazz recording as the best ever-which would they be?

2. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

I have Quicksilver tube amp, Rogue tube preamp heavily modified, a custom built CD player (I still play records too on my 30 year old SOTA TT), and Rosinanté Evolution Signature speakers. I also have a pair of old subwoofers, but it's been years since I even thought about what the brand on them is. I think they came from that company in San Diego.

Choosing what recordings are the best ever is impossible — especially since the record companies have deleted so much of their catalog. They would be nearly impossible to find (as was the one I paid over $300 for). There are also so many genres in classical, that whittling a >2000 CD & 4000 LP collection down to one of each that I thought were the best. But here's a stab at it:

The best combination of near state-of-the-art sound and superb performance in classical in my experience might be Fischer's Mahler 2nd. Personally, I prefer an old '73 performance of this work with Zubin Mehta conducting the Vienna Philharmonic, but the new Fischer release has amazing sound and dynamics, found here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GPIBOG/?tag=thshde-20

As for the best jazz recordings I own, my absolute favorites might be one from Sonny Rollins, Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, The Amazing Bud Powell, or the even more amazing Duke Ellington. Maybe it's Duke's "Three Suites" today; tomorrow it could be Art Pepper's "Modern Jazz Classics." I see I left out Charlie Parker who has a Jazz pantheon all his own.

My favorite pop album is a toss-up between Harry Nilsson's "A Little Touch of Schmilsson In The Night" or Jefferson Airplane's "After Bathing At Baxters" (go figure). Sometimes I enjoy hearing Electric Ladyland again too.

Music is such an integral part of my life, and has been since I bought my first 45 in 1956, "See Ya Later, Alligator," that making a choice as you suggest, sir, is just impossible. I love nearly every recording I own.

3. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Music is such an integral part of my life, and has been since I bought my first 45 in 1956, "See Ya Later, Alligator," that making a choice as you suggest, sir, is just impossible. I love nearly every recording I own.[/QUOTE]

Yes I suppose it's like trying to pick one of your children or, heaven forbid, one razor.
    You've got an amazing setup! We've covered the Mahler recordings on a different post-I'll have to check out that Fischer recording of Mahler's 2nd-My 2nd is from the Latvian State Academic Choir (Chandos label) and it's not bad, but surely not as special as the Fischer recording. Mahler's 4th with with Kathleen Battle (Maazel) is my "Desert Island Recording." As far as Jazz-all the one's you mention sound amazing, but Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" is my all time jazz favorite-IMHO it's the best jazz artists at the prime of their careers (ok Bill Evans and John Coltrane had some amazing years ahead of them). I'll give Benny Goodman's Carnegie Hall Concert from 1937 an honorable mention. I a ton of Duke Ellington, I'll have to check out "Three Suites." He's the American Mozart.

4. timj219

timj219 Member

I"m a potter. My wife bought me a class a couiple years ago as a gift and I've stuck with it since. I recently managed to get hold of a wheel and kiln of my own and I'm setting up a small studio in the basement.

5. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

I build boats in the little spare time I have, I also ride downhill bike, And i'm a quad, sled and boat mechanic for a job....which I don't really consider a job as I enjoy it so much.

6. Junior

Junior New Member

My hobbies include reading, listening to music, and trying to get my guitars to stop sounding like tortured cats...

7. RacerX

RacerX New Member

That's a nice jukebox phone. the easy clean finger wheel is pretty rare isn't it?

is that a Stromberg Carlson fat boy in the second photo?

8. TimV

TimV Member

Fly fishing is my passion, but I also play alot of golf and ride my motorcycle just about everyday that I am home.

9. timj219

timj219 Member

I've always wanted to learn how to fly fish. I enjoy fishing but I've never known anyone who is a good fly fisherman and I've never had the time to devote to it. Too bad really because some of the best fly fishing in the country is only an hour from my house in the Beaverkill and the Neversink rivers in the Catskill preserve. Maybe when I retire.

10. ek.310

ek.310 New Member

*Fun with the fam..everyday is an adventure!
    *Martial Arts
    *Computers
    *Watching shaving "stuff" on this being PIF'd or sold on this site and the bay

11. geogaga

geogaga Member

I motorcycle-travel and play guitar.

12. TimV

TimV Member

Tim,

Don't wait to start as it, like wet shaving takes time to master. Have fished the Beaverkill and it lives up to it's reputation.