rust on blade?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by sedo, Dec 27, 2009.

1. sedo

sedo New Member

Hey guys new one here,

I was just wondering after a few shaves from my wal-mart blade, there seems to be some kind of rust or rust look alike forming on the blade. Should I dispose of it?

2. bperryman1

bperryman1 Member

I know I wouldnt use it

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Agreed. If it has rust on it, then the cutting edge is probably rusted too. I would recommend keeping a lidded jar of 91% percent alcohol nearby and swish the razor head in it after every use. The alcohol will displace the water and quickly dry.

4. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

+1

Don't shave with anything that's rusty, unless you're sure your tetanus shots are current. ;)

5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Do you have hard water? If I don't do the alcohol swish like described above I get hard water deposits which look like rust when the mineral content is high. If it is a coated blade, it shouldn't rust that fast. But I wouldn't take the chance.

6. sedo

sedo New Member

I don't know the difference in hard and soft water. I live in Hawaii so we have naturally filtered water... or so they say

7. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

To add to the tips so far, do not store your blades in alcohol. I tried that and had to throw out about 8 blades due to rust. Rinsing it is fine, just don't store them in alcohol.

8. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

Razor blades rust because they stay wet. At least make sure you give the razor a good shake after rinsing it. And don't store it laying down on the sink either because water can pool under it and keep the blade wet. Store it with head up, such as propped in a mug or bowl.

9. sedo

sedo New Member

thanks for all the suggestions!

10. jhkaplan

jhkaplan New Member

I'm curious as to everyone elses thoughts on this. I currently leave my blade in alcohol and it seems to work pretty well. I used to store them in Mineral Oil, but the mess far outweighed the positives for me.

11. noxlord

noxlord New Member

What kind of blades are we talking about here ?

DE blades ?

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I shake the razor, take the blade out and hand strop it, then put it back in the razor. Good for a week of great shaves.

13. jhkaplan

jhkaplan New Member

Yeah, DE blades.

14. kjparker

kjparker Member

I would have thought that DE blades are cheap enough to not to have to worry getting more than two shaves out of them! I know I end up paying about 14au cents each.