what's a good NEW straight razor to get and hand down as a heirloom to my son

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Dr. Fitness, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Dr. Fitness

Dr. Fitness New Member

Gotta be new, not vintage

Can't have anything disagreeable in the handle (no ivory, diamonds, gold, animal shells, etc.)

cost is no factory, because Dr. Fitness' wallet is fat:happy102

2. ek.310

ek.310 New Member

checkthe trade/sale forum

3. MN_Nick

MN_Nick Member

4. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

5. Dr. Fitness

Dr. Fitness New Member

is Damascus steel really that much nicer to shave with?

6. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

What do you mean?

Are you talking about comparing the difference in shaving with damascus steel against another particular steel to the difference between the price of a particular razor against the price of another particular razor?

I have not shaved with a damascus steel razor - it seems to be generally agreed among those (on internet forums) who have shaved with damascus and other kinds of steel as well that the quality of honing is the non-shaver factor which determines the quality of the resulting shave rather than the steel itself

7. maierar

maierar New Member

8. cromagnum

cromagnum New Member

Damascus steel is usually a much harder to get a good shave with. The folding of multiple levels of steel makes it easier to have a rough edge.
    The general believe:
    carbon steel easier to sharpen
    stainless steel, harder to sharpen longer edge retention.
    Damascus steel looks great, harder to get a smooth edge.

These are general statements.

Crom

9. I would get him a Filarmonica #13 DT and then have it rescaled...

of course, I'm biased... but take a look at mine. I would certainly call it an heirloom item and it gives a great shave:

[​IMG]

10. Sparticus 6/8

Sparticus 6/8 Member

Money no object

If money is no object then a Thiers Issard custom 7 day set in the burl elm box has got to be it ! Such beauty and and the best british steels.

11. usna92

usna92 New Member

It's too bad it's gotta be new, 'cause there are a lot of older blades out there that, when restored, are just as good as a new blade.

But if your mind's made up, two of the more common and well-thought-of makers are Dovo and Thiers-Issard. You can find both at www.classicshaving.com or http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk.