Another from the Pacific Northwest

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Billr, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Hi there,

My name is Bill (as you could probably tell) and I am in the Bremerton area of Washington state. I have been wetshaving for about three months now and I love it. I used to use one of those electric face mowers mostly because it was how my dad got me started. A good friend clued me in a few months ago and I finally learned how to shave at 44 years old. I use a Col Conks combo brush (badger and boars hair) and one of Conks soaps as well and I still use a Mach 3 razor. I really want to get a nice Silvertip and a Muker HD and some better brands of soap but I am not really sure what I should be looking into or the better places to get the gear. I am all ears though and looking forward to being a part of this great forum!

Bill

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :signs046 to The Shave Den!

Ahhh...Bremerton. Many childhood memories there. I used to crawl up the kitchen cabinets and stand on the counter tops to reach the Parmesan Cheese. And eat it! :rofl (sorry, I'm sleepy silly right now and Bremerton made me think of that. Always makes me laugh that I did that.)

Ohhh.....new gear? Here come the enablers! :whacky025

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Welcome to The Shave Den Bill! A great community of guys and gals that enjoy wet shaving, I hope you enjoy your stay!

I'm sure our board members will give you lots of suggestions, but right now I need to head to bed myself, I'll check this thread again later.

4. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Bill,
    I would look at the review sections of this website. They are loaded with good info that is submitted by our members. The forum sections (shave cream, shave soap, safety razors, etc.) will tell you a lot about who likes what. By reading through them you can get a good idea of a lot of the products that are out there, and where we buy them. We do have many members that post items for sale in our classified section, so be sure and check that out. Just by following the threads here you will learn a lot. Also, don't forget that The Shave Den has its own store. JoAnna (she runs it) has many things for sale there from razors to soaps. She custom makes samples of soaps and aftershaves. I would look into those if your not sure of what you want. I have bought through her and was very happy with the products and her service.
    Good Luck!

Alan in Arizona

5. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Welcome to The Shave Den, Bill!

As Alan already said: Your first start should probably be the review section here - lots of great information in one place!

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Welcome to the Den!

7. BullGoose

BullGoose Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den Bill. Jump on in, the water's fine!

8. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, Bill :signs046

Enjoy your stay here :happy088

9. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Welcome!

10. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Welcome neighbor! Bremerton is a beautiful part of the world.

+1 on the suggestion of checking out the reviews section. There are dozens of places to get nice brushes and modern razors. If you're looking for vintage DE razors, you might look at the classifieds here for some ideas, or just ask. There will be MANY suggestions!

Cheers!

11. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to the Den

Over in the Inland Empire myself in N Idaho but I make it to your neck of the woods often...

12. JimR

JimR Active Member

Welcome to the Den, Bill! Enjoy your shaves!

13. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome from everybody. I have come to look forward to reading this forum every night before I go to bed. While I was wondering around in The Den tonight I figured out that I was the first new member of the year. Kinda cool I guess.

14. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

Hi

hi, this is my first post. I have been DE Shaving for 2 months now and just wanted to share some of the items I have had good luck with, maybe they will help you out. I went ahead and straight out bought 100 derby blades, and other cheap ones, I was having a heck of a time getting a comfortable shave, lots of razor burn and bleeding cuts, then I tried some Iridium Super Blades, man those things are awesome, I dont know if they are sharper than others but I can do multiple passes and no irritation, I would also suggest taylor of old bond street, and speick, creams. by the way I use an edwin jagger 89l. but in my opinion its the blade that counts the most.