How many str8s?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by mpearce, Jan 4, 2010.

1. mpearce

mpearce New Member

How many str8s would you recommend for someone? I see that most have several but what is a good number to have and why? I have also seen the seven day sets is that really necessary or just over kill?

2. JimR

JimR Active Member

Short answer: however many you want. A couple is good in case one of them gets dull, you can shave while it's getting honed.

Long answer: All of them. ;)

3. mpearce

mpearce New Member

I am sure getting razors becomes a collecting passion :rolleyes: I was just wondering for us newbies. So your short answer is not bad in that my wife can probably understand the need for two or three, I hope......

4. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

You will only NEED one to shave with.

Two is good to let one "rest" or if you send one off for honing.

But one is enough if you only want to shave, after that all is up to collection/obsession and/or convenience (and economy, of course).

What you WILL need is a good strop too...

5. mpearce

mpearce New Member

Okay so what you are saying is don't let my wife see what you just wrote and go with around three :D

6. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I started with just 1. Then there was 2. Then I left them in a cabinet alone in the dark and then there was another, and another, and another, and ...........................

7. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I literally laughed out loud. Funnier because it's so damn true.

8. brianw

brianw New Member

I started with one... way too many years ago. I have 4, all of them from my paternal and maternal grandfathers.. They are over 100 years old and I will never part with them

9. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I'd recommend at least one str8 for someone who wants to learn how to use str8s
    It really doesn't matter. My opinion is the more the merrier, but there's only so many that I can personally keep up with :D
    It's not absolutely necessary, but it can be useful when honing and stropping is going to be put off for long periods of time

Like Johan mentioned, maybe you'd like to let one of your razors take the day off. Or maybe you just like shaving with different kinds of str8s. Different razors will feel different on your skin. When I started using str8s, I wanted to try many different kinds of razors to compare different styles and types to see what worked best for me. It would have been hard to do that with only one. If I had not cared to try many different kinds, I would not have needed to own more than one for that purpose. You see?

So I think the number of razors is not a general benchmark for just anybody, but rather a personal preference you'll grow into as you learn how to use what you already have

10. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

mpearce

Your question got me thinking about why I bought my razors. Some of course just caught my fancy. The Le Coultre frameback with the set of six replaceable blades was too cool to leave behind, as was the 1840ish Wade Wingfield & Rowbothom. Others have vivid personal significance; there are two that are mementos of a trip to New Zealand, and a total of five that were gifts from my wife. Some have historical associations, like the Genco that came from the old Eaton's Department Store here in Toronto and the lovely little spike point blade whose etching marks it as a souvenir of the St Louis World's Fair.

I guess, in the end,the answer is simply that I like straight razors. :cool:

Best Regards

goshawk

11. Basset

Basset New Member

I think if you are going to devote the time to learning how to use a straight, it's worthwhile picking up several vintage models of different sizes, shapes, and grinds, to see which appeals to you best. You can always sell the vintage ones you don't like on this board or others.

I'm a bit of an antique hound, so I have over 20 straights. I picked my first 6 in a swap for some vintage fountain pens. That was a great way to start, as there was no cash outlay. Over time I developed a sense for the size/shape/grind I like.

12. mpearce

mpearce New Member

OKAY! Now we are getting to the answers I can tell the wife. "I have to have all these honey because each one is different and gives a different shave. I don't know what is best for me yet so I might have to get a few more. But these will be the last honey :D I love you :D"

13. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

this can work :)

14. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I would recommend getting two. You never know what might accidentally happen to one of them so two would be good just to make sure you'll always have something working to shave with in the house.

15. du212

du212 Well-Known Member

You have posted in good sense, .... with moderation,......following your steps mpearce would be lost :happy102

16. usna92

usna92 New Member

I agree with moviemaniac. If you kept or have something else to shave with (a double-edge for instance), you only "need" one straight. You can use the other shave device when your straight needs honing that you haven't gotten to yet.

However, if you don't want to use anything else, you should have at least two.

17. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Oh yeah. I absolutely can't recommend following in my footsteps. Oh no. Ah, what the heck, I'd rather stop denying it: Collecting is fun :D

18. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I am not really qualified to answer on this because I don't own a str8. I will eventually, by starting with an el cheapo shavette to see if I can develop the skill AND enjoy it before setting out to buy more expensive ones. Now here is my input, since starting the wet shaving with a D/E razor, each one that I get shaves a little bit differently than the other. Liken it to a car. Each one has it's own trait and even though they operate basically the same, they are different. Same goes with DE razors and I'm sure with str8s as well. I believe that's what they mean when they say, "enjoy the ride". Just my take on it.

19. cooltide

cooltide New Member

i have 3 & use them in my rotation with a touch up they should a long time without any need to send them off to the straight hospital, the best way to increase your stock is once a year on your birthday or xmas

20. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I have a shedload (and more) and more DE razors than a small county uses on a daily basis.. So, what you may need and what you want is two different things...