Products to seek out or avoid for sensitive skin

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by TikiiTorch, Jan 6, 2010.

1. TikiiTorch

TikiiTorch New Member

In the effort to narrow down some choices on soaps, thought I would start with ruling out what would make my face hate me.

Are there any well known brands, product lines, or even fragrances/ingredients that should be sought out for those of us with less then manly skin?

On the flip side, is there something that is great for us? something that really helps our skin out?

TIA

2. RnR

RnR Member

To date, I have fortunately had good, bordering on great, results with the Nivea balms and Thayer witch hazel offerings employed post shave. Most of my concern with various products has come from reading the ingredient labels on a few items, but can't really say they've lit up my skin or anything overt like that. I have in the past enjoyed the VDH glycerin soap and definitely like the Real Shaving Company's Sensitive cream for a very affordable reference point in the easily obtainable cream category. But the readily available VDH Deluxe is a good place to begin soap-wise. Step up to the Erasmic/Tabac/WoolFat* level later on, but for now... VDH is a good safe choice from my point of view.

Though I have tapered back use of Pinaud's Clubman a/s by virtue of all the Benzyl ingredients and also on the Gillette a/s gel and Corn Huskers due to parabens. Don't get me wrong... I still employ them, just not nearly as often as I first did.

Nor have I found any soaps or creams from all the TSD recommendations I've read here that have been the source of any skin irritation in my shaves (the blades and technique are at fault there). The folks here really have built a fabulous set of reviews on nearly everything that I hope you take full advantage of.

Good Luck to you!

*wasn't he the Big Evil on Hawaii Five-O?! :happy102

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

As somebody who has issues with skin chemical sensitivity, I feel for you. However, this is another one of those things that are unique to the individual. Although Nivea products are great for some, they cause an angry red rash on me. Likewise, I can't use any spice scented product or bay rum soap. But I can handle menthol which is something others can't..

If you really want to be safe, get a good soap but in unscented. Then you know if it is the soap chemicals or the fragrances. Once you find an unscented soap that works, either stick with it or try some simple oils if you must have scent. I usually use something with tea tree and/or peppermint because they help my skin issues.

After shave? you can probably get by with just using witch hazel. Have you tried corn huskers lotion? I know.. it smells... but it may be all you need. Again, I would try something unscented or essential oils that you know your skin will tolerate.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Canned goo and cartridge razors.

5. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

:sihns011 but seriously my steer clear list would probably include Murray and Lanman's Orange Blossom Cologne and TGQ Shaving Soaps (they smell great but lather nearly as well as an old dirty sock).

My gotta try it list would include TSD Coconut Lime Verbena, of course VDH Deluxe, Aqua Velva Classic, and Murray and Lanman's Florida Water.

6. AVOID: Kiss My Face Moisturizing Shave Cream, Peppermint scent

AVOID: Boar hair brush

SEEK OUT: Palmer's Cocoa Butter Moisturizer (Wal Mart)

SEEK OUT: Mountain Ocean Coconut Skin Trip Moisturizer (Whole Foods)

SEEK OUT: Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream in the tub (everywhere)

SEEK OUT: Badger hair brush

SEEK OUT: Proraso (aka Bigelow) shave cream in the toothpaste tube

7. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

For clarity:
    -KMF in general is very good, Peppermint might be an issue but don't fear other scents.
    -A quality boar brush, when broken in, is softer at the tips than badger. Just don't get a cheap VDH or Burmashave boar. Omega, Vulfix, and Semogue all have great reputations. Bowl lather for 2-3 weeks until the tips split and soften.
    -Pure badger is the scratchiest, most potentially irritating loft you can get. If you buy badger, I don't recommend a pure badger brush.
    -Proraso, also sold as C.O. Bigalow, shave cream has menthol and eucalyptus. If you have a problem with either you'll want to avoid this product. If not, it's a good cream.

9. TikiiTorch

TikiiTorch New Member

Well I am using a cheap boar brush lol specifically a cheap VDH brush from this set along with the soap and bowl.

I don't have any problems with my face skin, so maybe I am confusing sensitive skin with poor technique.

My particular problem is on my neck. Not razor burn, and (I don't think) not ingrowns, but red puff bumps.

I do a my first pass with vertically downish strokes, and my second the opposite direction. I get a great close comfortable shave, but still get a few the bumps. I always got them with the ole Mach 3 Turbo Marital Aid whizzbanger razor, and when still got them with my new Merkur, thought my skin was to blame.

Am I doing something wrong then?

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Are you sure that you are really going WTG for your neck? Most necks have hair that grown in multiple grain directions. For example the top 3rd of my neck WTG is down, the bottom 3rd of my neck WTG is upwards, for the middle band I have to go from chin to ear for WTG.

If you are going WTG with the top of your neck and suddenly start ATG on the same stroke, you could be getting irritation/ingrowns still. Red puff bumps can be caused by ingrowns, etc...

Make sure that you are NOT using pressure! Too much pressure will also cause those puffy bumps.

11. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

In addition to Justin's advice, only doing one pass on your neck or even skipping a day shaving to let your neck heal will help. It's very unlikely you'll get a great shave until you're all healed up.

12. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Your story here reminds me a lot of my friend Bram's journey into wetshaving. We discovered that the Merkur HD was a little too much for him when he first started, so he switched to a Gillette Tech until he got his routine and technique down pat. He was eventually transitioning into straight razor shaving.

Have a read through his intro thread and see if it sounds similar to what you are experiencing.

13. Teiste

Teiste New Member

If you are looking for good soaps and creams that can take care of your skin please check these ones.

Soaps(melt and pour ones)
    Kells originals
    The gentleman quarter

Soaps(milled and triple milled)
    Mitchells Wool Fat.Contains lanolin so if your skin doesnt agree with that dont even try it.
    D.R Harris soaps(lavander and almond being the best)
    Art of shaving (expensive but SOO good,specially the lavander one)
    Tabac but the scent could be a put off for many.

Shaving sticks;
    Valobra(same soap that the Art of shaving but in the form of a stick.Actually Valobra makes the soaps for Art of Shaving)
    Irisch Moos
    La Toja
    Palmolive

Saving creams
    TOBS Avocado(the avocado oil makes the difference with this cream)
    The boby Shop maca cream
    Speick shaving cream
    Cella(somebody called it soft soap Ill say its a hard cream)
    Palmolive
    Musgo Real(contains lanolin)
    The gentleman quarter shaving cream
    Brushes.
    Boar brushes:any from Omega or Semogue.The good thing about boar(among many others) is that the tips splits a become really soft after a week of use.
    Badger;silvertip or super badger

and STAY AWAY FROM DERBYS BLADES!!!!!!

14. TikiiTorch

TikiiTorch New Member

That's it guys. Thanks!

I did some long hard face mapping, and though i thought that they neck hairs were growing to the sky, but they are more at an angle pointing to my chin on either side.

I took extra care to go WTG and only doing one pass this morning. Besides the residual damage from yesterday, I have no new bumps. With a weekend to let my neck rest (no hairy necks at work lol) I should be on the fast track to smoothsville.

Thanks again everyone:1respect

15. Sargon

Sargon Well-Known Member

I am sensitive, but not off the charts sensitive, so keep that in mind with my "reviews"

Bad:

Poraso: it's a nice creme(and is actually readily available) , lathers well, but menthol is harsh for me.

TSD Acorn and Oakelaves: BAD (I like the scent and consider the creme to lather well, but the oils in it burn something fierce, so i think the next time I make an order from TSD I'll try the unscented.)

TOBS Lavander: slightly bad (i can stand it, but there is a veyr faint burnign caused by he oils in it. It's a pretty good creme, but I'd never get it again obviously)

Good:

TOBS Avacao: Probably my favorite to date. it feels nice, smells nice ( btu mild) makes a great lather easily, and has 0 irritation. It's one of the "expensive" cremes, though.

VDH Delux: Mild, cheap, and makes a pretty decent lather, especially for the cost. It's also available at walgreens. I get virtually no irritation from it, as well.

Williams: I want to like it. I get 0 irritation, but i have terrible luck getting a good lather with it, even with a nice boar brush.

Arco: A cheap improted creme, it makes a pretty decent lather easily, and is fairly non irritating. I've used both the regular and commando. Both seem fine.

Witch hazel: A soldi chocie fo aftershave, imo

Nivea: A pretty nice aftershave, but I can feel the chemicals just a twinge at times, so I'm just *barely* in the able to use range I think.

Noxzema canned: I use canned once in a blue moon, mostly when I notice I've missed a spot after I rince my brush and bowl out. As such goes it's nto bad. it has lanolin, though.

16. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

Just to add some input on this subject...

Sensitive skin is a fair broad term and very common in the shaving forums. By broad I mean that there are many different things that can cause sensitivity in skin. It can be from chemicals to thin skin that can cause irritation. Even the transition from modern shaving techniques to soap & brush/DE has been known to cause some sensitivity. Each person is different.

If you are dealing with severe sensitive I would recommend an unscented soap/cream from a company/person that makes sure that their product is neutral in PH. Most do but sometimes batches slip through that are not properly cured. The next thing is that I would use a lighter razor and less pressure. Finally I would recommend limiting your passes and moisturizing your face. By limiting your passes I mean 1 maybe 2 WTG passes a day or even every other day. As you learn the curves of your face, which can take a LONG time, you will learn how to hold the blade where it doesn't scrape the skin. But if you are just starting or in a rush and being sloppy you are bound to scrape the skin. Scraping doesn't mean that you cut yourself and will bleed but you will have irritation from it and the more you scrape the more it will hurt. The reason for moisturizing is that it will speed the healing of your skin.

If you don't have severe sensitivity I'm sure that some of these tips can help. I have a lot more tips that I have tried and have worked for me as I had I lot of issues as I got started. But over time I have found the routines that work the best for me by asking and a lot of trial and error.

17. MunnyGuy

MunnyGuy New Member

Hi I am new here but have been trying quite a few different products and have sensitive skin as well.

Mitchell's Wool Fat is an AWESOME soap. Light refreshing scent and lathers great. be carful if you are sensitive to Lanolin.

Prorasso Green and White- I really like these products, specifically the preshave but can only use them after a day or 2 away from shaving. Daily I find it too much.

Art of Shaving Unscented or Sandalwood- Are also excellent. I use to use these in conjunction with the pre shave oils but have since found equally or better performing products for cheaper.

Witch Hazel- As an after shave swab is a wonderful and inexpensive Astringent.

I want to try out the Trumper's Rose products as they are supposedly very mild. Good luck the search for the right products is half the fun. :D

18. EFaden

EFaden Member

Also interested in this. I just started out, but have had good results with my first products. The AOS unscented kit.... I tend to have sensitive skin, a coarse beard, and get a lot of razor burn and ingrown hairs.

19. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

Use shave oil

I have a sensitive neck, the blade I use is iridium, just about anything else burns me, I also do a good prep with shave oil. I purchased some and noticed that its just a mixture of different oils so now I just add plain old Olive oil and castor oil. they have vitamin E which is good for your skin. I rinse and add more it does not gunk up you razor if you lather on top. ever since I started using this I get NO burn, no red bumps and no bleeding. It might work for you. the oils do leave your skin soft.

ps dont do oil only it will gunk up you razor and your brush use it in combination with shave cream (speick is good)

20. EFaden

EFaden Member

What razor do you use?