Floyd the barber

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by southernscribbler, Jan 10, 2010.

1. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Couldn't help it, but I have to share. Just watched an episode of Mayberry after surfing for something to catch my eye and happened to stop in Mayberry. The boys wre inside of Floyds barber shop and there on the wall was a list of his charges. Thought it would be interesting to list them here. Just see how they compare to the prices in your barber shop today. lol

Haircut : $1.75

Flat Top : $2.00

Butch : $2.00

Shampoo : $.75

Shave : $.50

Tonics : $.25

I pay $11 for a haircut and if I want a shave, it's also $11. I will say this for my barber, he still uses a cut throat razor. In fact just the other day when I was in for a trim, an older customer commented to his lady Barber that it had been a very long time since they shaved his neck and around his ears at his barber shop in Ky. Told the lady cutting his hair about the new health regs. as far as using disposable safety razor blades due to the fear of spreading disease. She calmly stated " Isn't a problem if you don't draw blood" . I had to chuckle.

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My barber charges 12,00$ for a haircut, but I will never again let anybody else shave me. I enjoy doing my own shaves.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

$15 for a haircut where I go.

4. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember those prices. Some barbers used to have a "razor" cut where they would use a straight razor to cut your hair. It was much more expensive than a regular cut.

Been cutting my own hair since 1977 when I started bicycling to work. Used Wahl for many years until my brother-in-law introduced me to the Phillips hair clippers.

5. Steve Mack

Steve Mack Member

I started getting "good" haircuts in the early 60's. The Four Seasons were the guys we all tried to look like. I use to get a razor cut. They did it with combs that had razors built into them. :cool:

6. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

They use to sell those "razor combs" when I was a kid. I remember watching one barber use an actual straight razor. But back then, they used a straight to clean around your ears and the back of the neck. Haven't been to a barber shop in over 30 years. Maybe they still use straights?

7. Turnz2

Turnz2 Member

Just got a haircut the other day. $17.00 without the tip and yes, the shave around the ears and neck are long gone.

8. David6Eagle

David6Eagle New Member

Barber shop prices

Hey fellow Seminole,
    I frequent a barber shop here in Raleigh (just up the road aways from Mayberry) where the general topic of conversation is NASCAR. Current haircut price is $17.

9. southernscribbler

Well, I feel like a fortunate minority here with an $11 haircut AND the gratuitous shave (with a cut throat razor) around the ears and the neck. I am almost asleep by the time they get to the shaving part. I remember laughing at the men when I was a kid waiting for Dad to finish his haircut, when the majority would nap while the Barber used his clippers. Seems like the only ones that didn't sleep were the Barbers and the ones that had a story to share. Good old days!

Any of you remember the Butch stick? That waxy pink stick of whatever it was to help the guys with a flat top make the front hairs stand tall and stiff?

10. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

My barber charges $12.00 fos a haircut with a shave around the ears and the back of the neck. He's honed a couple of razors for me and fixed a couple of chips in blades, and never charged me for it, so I usually pay over his price - $15 - $20, depending on how broke I am at the time.

Best Regards

goshawk

11. TikiiTorch

TikiiTorch New Member

Jesse's Barber Shop

If you are ever in Las Vegas, and got some spare time, stop by my (wish it was more regular) barber shop: Jesse's Barber Shop

As you can see from the site, Jesse and the guys still do all the old stuff. I go see Jesse before a big date or dressing up event to get a haircut, Straight Razor Shave (face and neck/ears), neck massage, and listen to Jesse's stories. All for 13 bucks.

It's a great little shop IMHO.

12. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

My favorite place to get a haircut (now that the 'two old guys in the neighborhood police precinct' barbershop has closed) is The Man Shop.

You can shoot pool while waiting for a cut. There are free video games and a putting green. Flat screen TVs with sports. Young ladies with attitudes. A great haircut is $14 and the staff (all female) wear toolbelts:

[​IMG]

You know, it just doesn't get much better than this... :D

13. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

What a coincidence! Thats gonna be my new favorite place too! :cool:

14. usna92

usna92 New Member

My best haircuts were when I was in the Navy. $7 no matter if you're getting a regulation cut, or a flat-top, high & tight, whatever. And they used a real straight razor to trim the neck and sideburns... I miss that sometimes.

A few years ago, my wife and I were running errands and decided I needed a haircut. We stopped at this salon type place near the grocery store. When I walked in they asked if I wanted Mr. Joshua or Mr. Henri. I said "what's the difference?" They said "Mr. Joshua charges $25 and Mr. Henri charges $35." I said "Oh, well Mr. Supercuts charges $12, so I think I'll go there." I can't see paying that much money when all they're going to do is run a #2 attachment over my head.

15. whistleman123

whistleman123 New Member

I've been cutting my own hair for over a dozen years. Don't laugh, but Flowbies are great. Just hook 'um up to the shop vac and go for it. No fuss, no mess.
    Never had a barber shave. But, maybe someday.......

16. riffin

riffin Active Member

17. thestone725

thestone725 Member

The barber I just started going to charges $12 for a haircut and does the straight razor on the neck and around the ears. They do shaves as well.

18. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Barbers around here are really expensive. I go to a Cost Cutters, $16.95 for a haircut, although I do always have a coupon for $1.00 off. I doubt if they do shaves. The traditional barbershops aren't much better, and some cost more.

19. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

Mine charges me $6. He's retired, really, and catching him during his few hours isn't easy.

20. southernscribbler

We have a barber shop here where the guy has been cutting hair for probably 40 plus years. Only problem is, he cuts YOUR hair the way HE wants it. Iv'e never known him to shave anyone. I went there twice. The first time i thought maybe because of his age, he didn't hear my request. I found out otherwise the second time, and never went back. His clientele is basically our seasonal older gents, better known as "snowbirds". They can get their basic Army style high and tight haircut for around 7 bucks. Good enough.