Replacement for cream

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by squash00, Jan 11, 2010.

1. squash00

squash00 New Member

I purchased Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood on a whim and like the scent but would like to try other options that would be similar or better according to your taste? Maybe even slightly cheaper if it happens.

2. sas71

sas71 Member

for $13-14 Taylors is a mighty fine product. Its hard to beat it at that price point. You can find less cheaper and more expensive creams that dont perform as well. For what youre getting its a tough product to beat. They havnt been in business for 100+ year for nothing.

Dont be fooled by some of the tubes. Yes they are half the price but most are half the product too (as in oz. or ml)

3. squash00

squash00 New Member

I compared it to the Burt's Bees shaving soap I receivec a few years ago and it seams the soap get's a better lather. Is this just a big difference between creams and soaps or is it my lathering skills are sub-par?

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You got a better lather from Burt's Bees shaving soap than Taylors shaving cream? :confused:

5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:eek:

6. squash00

squash00 New Member

I know, what the hell's wrong with me? I got a few good lathers so far but several have gone poopy. Maybe I was rushing it or something or I pulled the brush out to early. (innuendos intended):confused:

7. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Have you read the lathering guide in the Shave School forum sticky?

8. Vito36

Vito36 New Member

If you want to go higher in price I can't stress how great T&H Grafton is.

9. memoryleak

memoryleak Active Member

I'm doubtful that you'll find another sandalwood shave cream that has the quality of an English shave cream like TOBS (< $14US). Taylors stands tall at its price/value point. Keep an eye out in the B/S/T threads and work on technique. Cheers.

10. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

TOBS is good

I personally use that one and it seems fine to me, I just dip my brush and apply directly to my face. It works for me.

11. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

While it's not a sandalwood scent, I really enjoy Cella Crema Sapone.

12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Mike, Cella is not a cream, but I must to say I enjoy it also!

13. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

It sure has the consistency of TOM's that's for sure

14. squash00

squash00 New Member

Ha, whatdaya know, I tried again after using that crappy Burt's Bees soap for a few shaves and it lathers up perfectly. Best shave I had in awhile.

15. Malacoda

Malacoda Active Member

Have you tried some TSD shave cream?

Also, the TSD store is a great place to pick up samples of all the name brands -- e.g. TOBS, T&H, Castle Forbes, etc. - some of which, such as T&H, have sandalwood scents.