Good quality Bay Rum

Discussion in 'Scents' started by USNCPO, Jan 19, 2010.

1. USNCPO

USNCPO New Member

Anyone have any recommendations on where to buy a good quality Bay Rum aftershave and cologne? Any personal preferences or experiences would be greatly appreciated!! Until later...Nick

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

It's hard to go wrong IMHO. Ogallala is really good and reasonably priced. Master's and Clubman are often available locally. Burt's Bee's cologne is a Bay Rum (and used to be labeled as such) that is a little different. Of those, I like Ogallala best as it nicely balanced between sweet and spicy.

3. Griz

Griz Member

Ogallala is my choice as well, and I like their soaps alot too. I do find that the aftershave's scent goes away rather quickly, but that is one of the things that I like about it. I believe it has a fair amount of witch hazel in it as well.

Will N.

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I smelled Master's and vowed never to use Bay Rum ever, but smelled Clubman Bay Rum and love it more with each use. Makes my hands smell great for hours after I use it, plus it leaves my face feeling nice and soothed. There is a nice little burn after application that fades after a minute or so and then nothing but nice smell all day long without being overpowering. I haven't tried Ogallala though.

YMMV

5. Headdoc

Headdoc New Member

Bay Rum

Royal, Dominican, Pinaud, and Ogallala are great choices. There is a review in B&B. My fav is Ogalalla. It is very soothing and has great staying power for me. They also have great service. You can get a sample pack from them for very little to decide with little investment.

6. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Ogallala is my favorite Bay Rum ASL. If you're looking for a good milk or balm, I like Saint Charles Shaving (SCS). When that runs out, I plan to try TSD's milk.

7. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

+1 on the Clubman Bay Rum. Great scent for an inexpensive price. I so want to try the Bay Rum with a lime twist from Saint Charles Shave, eventually. That and Burts Bees Bay rum. Both have high marks on the review section and I am solidly hooked on the bay rum scents.

8. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I like Royall Bay Rhum best of the three that I've tried (Master and Pinaud being the other two). Pinaud smells nice in the bottle, but it makes me smell like a Chirstmas Cookie (my wife's words, and I happen to agree with her). Ogallala is nice too (I've only tried the soap thus far).

9. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

Superior 70 is very, very good - especially as it is so inexpensive. (It doesn't hang around very long, though, like most bay rums.)

10. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

Ogalla is a good brand to buy and very reasonable.

11. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention. Ogallala lists witch hazel as its first ingredient. To me, that's very good.

12. USNCPO

USNCPO New Member

Thanx All!

Thanx for all the great and quick feeback!! Will def pursue some Ogallala first and try a couple more different brands after that. Once again...thanx!! Nick:cool:

13. blacdisco2000

blacdisco2000 Member

Ogallala and St. Johns Bay Rum.

14. jnich67

jnich67 Member

I'll throw my vote in for Dominica and Royall. :D

Jordan

15. soopercat

soopercat New Member

Royall Bay Rhum is the longest lasting scent of all the others noted above that I have tried.

Kind regards,

16. cvac

cvac Member

Bonny Doon Farms / Meehan Bay Rhum is a fantastic Bay Rum cologne that's as purist as they come.

For aftershaves, you might want to give Aubrey Organics Spice Island a try. It's not a pure Bay Rum, but the bay component is a lot higher than many other popular Bay Rums.