BBS?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by dmyers, Jan 22, 2010.

1. dmyers

dmyers Member

Since I am pretty new to D/E Shaving how anal are you when it comes to BBS's? I am pretty obsessed by it but I have noticed lately with the aid of a flashlight that my neck is paying a heavy toll. Let's say that if one was looking up the term road rash / bumps there I'd be... The whiskers on my neck grow every which way and it has been a challenge for the last week. Here I thought I was doing OK but alas the flashlight tells the truth :eek: Sometimes it is hard to tell if my technique is wrong or right cause the road rash I see on my neck this morning could be from a day or two ago so...

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

how much do I care about BBS?

I don't try for it. I have sensitive skin and multiple passes cause problems for me. Also, my beard grows fast and thick. BBS doesn't last too long for me.

I aim for no unshaved patches, no nicks, and no razor burn. Doesn't have to be especially smooth or close. Most times I do much better than this and achieve what I and others around here call a Darn Fine Shave (DFS).

3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Just back off. I got a BBS on my second shave and figured that was going to be the norm. So on about the 5th shave when I didn't get one, I tried to make it happen on subsequent shaves, only exacerbating the problem. When I put my pride down and realized that it was my technique, I began to get progressively better. Now, I don't try to force it and it seems to be working. Even if I have a less than comfortable shave, I back off and re-evaluate my technique. No pressure seems to work for me. Just use enough force to keep the blade in contact with your face. Like Mantic says repeatedly in his vids, its about reduction, not elimination.

Step back, maybe even take a day off, and give it a shot as if it were day one. Approach your razor with fear and use it like you are about to scrape an extremely sharp piece of metal all over your face and you'll be fine in no time.

4. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I can honestly say, after many discussions with my son, that each day, right before my time to shave, has the same euphoric feel that Christmas morning did when I was a kid. I can't think of any new adventure that I've undertaken, with the exception of falling in love, that has given me such anticipation and joy as wet shaving has. I know this sounds over dramatic, but it's the truth IMHO.

5. battle.munky

I must admit Dad, it is a highlight of my day. And the few days we haven't talked about our shaves, I have felt a disturbance in the force.

6. whistleman123

whistleman123 New Member

Great!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this.!!!

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There are some who would say that true BBS does not exist. Only by your own personal definition does it exist or not.

I've stopped worrying about it and just shave. Don't get me wrong. I want to get as close as I can get, which is why I 3-pass shave every day. For me trying to get BBS every time just tears up my face. I'm happy with the results I get. I'm at a point with my technique and gear that there is no such thing as a bad shave, just some are better than others. It's a good place to be.

8. dmyers

dmyers Member

Well put...

9. battle.munky

The only true BBS any of us will ever get is the one before they put you in the ground. The only reason it will truly be BBS is that we won't be able to feel it to see where it could be improved. I just hope they use a DE.......

10. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:sihns011 Great advice Steve! That pretty much sums it up for me too.

There are just some hairs on my lower neck that I just never completely get, sure I lop off the tops of them, but if I try to take them completely down to skin level, I will regret it for several days afterwards.

11. TimeWeaver

TimeWeaver Member

Don't stress over BBS.
    BBS is not the be-all, end-all of DE shaving. It's nice when it happens, but just work on your own technique and get a DFS, and eventually you'll find without realizing it that you're actually getting BBS.
    Bottom line is just relax and enjoy your shave, with or without BBS.
    :bounce
    Having said that, never ever compromise on getting a DFS. :happy088

12. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Very nice post.

13. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

BBS is pure BS.

About the only one that may notice that your face is truly BBS is you. 99.9% of the population won't notice and/or won't care.

Your face will thank you once you've come to terms with this fact.

14. roberto811

roberto811 New Member

Depending on your skin type BBS will take a heavy toll.