Ethical question

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Dslazar9, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I am a primary care internest with a serious vintage razor AD. My question
    is weather or not it's ethical to ask my elederly patients if they have any old razors sitting around. Tempted as I am, I have resisted so far. My instincts say it's not right but I am sooooooo tempted. Perhaps I can mention this is my new hobby and see if they take the hint??-would that be ok? This may be one of the stranger posts. If there are any other physicians out there I'd be especially interested in that input. I also welcome input from anybody who has been a patient.

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I tell people about my hobby regularly. If they happen to offer something when they hear you are interested in it, cool! I wouldn't go posting signs in their rooms talking about your hobby, but nothing wrong with friendly conversation. :)

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I'm in complete agreement here. I expect many of your patients would love the conversation. In this case the most valuable thing you have to give in return is an ear and some time.

4. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

In my experience people tend to think of razor collecting as a bit weird. Now I'm absolutely comfortable with that, but it means that I do try to keep it separate from work (says he, killing the last 15 min. before quitting time!). I suppose it all depends on how established you are; if you've been around for awhile a "different" hobby might be interpreted as colourful, on the other hand if you're trying to establish yourself it might do you harm professionally.

I think the guy to pose this question to would be Chris Moss (user name Dr Moss) over at ShaveMyFace.com. He's a physician and an elder stateman of the shaving forums. You might try dropping him a PM.

By the way, I'm not a doctor.

Best Regards

goshawk

5. kolinpl

kolinpl New Member

I'm no physician . . . but I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I don't really talk about DE shaving outside the house or outiside the forums, but I think there's nothing wrong with mentioning to your patients that you have an interesting (esoteric?) hobby.

"Yeah, I found some great stuff at an antique shop . . . at my uncles garage sale . . . etc. It's AMAZING what you can find if you start looking through the drawers in your bathroom - some interesting and valuable stuff in there for some people . . . " OK, that's overdoing it a bit but I don't think it necessarily qualifies even as a 'hint' and even if it is, it is totally benign.

IMHO!!

6. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

'tis an odd question, but a good one. Not odd in the subject matter, but odd in the circumstances. I'd call it just short of an ethical dilemma, though...perhaps a courtesy dilemma, or tactful, but anyhoo....

I'll agree with Rodd here, and second Erik - a good way to find out is to bring the subject up in a genuine (key concept here) conversation about traditional wetshaving, collecting, etc. Not that having a genuine conversation about traditional wetshaving would be difficult for us :rolleyes:, but that the topic isn't forced...I can't quite describe what I'm thinking here, but I'll suffice it to say, if the opportunity arises to discuss it, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Now, to start the conversation off "well, you probably won't be shaving much longer, you got any Toggles?" is probably off the moral kilter a bit....

But having a conversation with a gentleman that may help him reminisce about his youth, and give him a willing listening ear will probably do him a lot of good, too.

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

:happy102
    I'm sure it's wrong I find that statement so funny, but:
    :happy102:happy102:happy102:happy102:happy102

8. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

my gut says no, it's not ethical. I am not a doctor but I do work with the elderly and the sick at times.

Here's my reasoning:

It opens you up to accusations of profiting off the sickness/ mental instability of the elderly. Its one thing for a pt to know your hobby and spontaneously offer you a razor. I think that's fine. But specifically asking if you can have any razors they might not use anymore might be misunderstood by the pt or by any nurses or techs that might hear. Think of it this way- the pt is in a state of vulnerability. They might think you're asking for a bribe or at the very least, that you're using your position to pressure them to give you things.

So I would say continue to resist.

9. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Wow! That's a bunch of quick and helpful input. Interesting that may of you do not discuss this at work. It was my partner who started me on this and we talk about it non-stop. The rest of our partners are amused-especially the women.

Noobshave, thank you and I agree completely. Asking is out. My concern is even bringing it up out of concern they would feel obligated to do something for me. That may sound like overkill, but I take ethics VERY seriously. These are vulnerable people. That said I think it's harmless enough to bring it up to the patient's I feel comfortable enough with. It's a great point that it may give them a good memory to talk about, or just open the door to talking. If that happens to inspire them to part with a Fat Boy in mint condition-oh well.

I've been in practice for about 20 years and am absolutely not trying to grow my practice any more.

Thanks everybody for the quick and insiteful responses. If I get any nice razors I'll certainly post the pics.

10. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

yes, I agree with this...directly or indirectly asking for their stuff is not a good idea. I meant to mention this in my previous post, but got called off to a problem, as well as jumping ahead of myself with agreeing with Rodd.

Talking about your hobby, expecting nothing in return, can be good.

Directly asking them can be bad.

Bottom line, I think you know the answer, even before asking, and that's the answer you should go with.

However, if it does happen to come up.....

11. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Agreed, I think subtle is the key. In fact extremely subtle (almost invisible) if your hobby comes up in casual conversation I don't really see the harm in mentioning your hobby in passing. Odds are, once a rapport develops, you may even see some razors without even directly asking. I do however agree that by overtly asking, you put yourself in a compromising position and perception could be much more harmful than actual fact or intent.

12. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I wouldn't ask and I wouldn't accept if a razor was offered. But that's just me.
    Sometimes it's not just the impropriety of an act, but the appearance of impropriety. Obtaining a new razor is just not worth the potential loss of respect and trust of your peers and the family of the giver. It's just too easy to misunderstand the transaction.

But there still may be a real treasure in this for you. Talking with these older gentleman about their wet shaving experience would be very cool. And imagine what it would be like to help them lather up again?

13. cem

cem Guest

You are absolutely right. This is not overkill.

14. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

As a patient, I would be totally put off if I got the impression that a doctor was using our professional contact to see if I had any old stuff I wanted to sell. Put off to the point that I would probably seek another doctor, unless I'd been going to this one for years and was willing to overlook a lapse.

Yes, it would be unethical. Let's not sugar coat it.

15. bperryman1

bperryman1 Member

I am in the medical field. Were I work I would be fired for excepting gifts. I know there are exceptions families and our residents bring us food and candy all the time, but we dont ask them to.

16. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

I would post my opinion but it would be redundant.

17. kolinpl

kolinpl New Member

I replied to this thread yesterday. After thinking about this a little more I have changed my mind. You guys that think it's unethical to ask one's patients if they have old razors around are right. I think: not a good idea.

18. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I don't think anyone has said to go asking for razors. What is now the minority I'm in are saying is that it is a good subject for discussion with some patients. Given the patients being discussed, this is actually a kind thing to do for many of the patients. If that leads to them showing off or even offering old razors that's OK IMHO (and the point where some disagree). I think a big key is it needs to be a patient offering, not a doctor asking. I know some will disagree and that's perfectly OK. In the end, the author of the OP will need to decide.

19. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I don't know. I need more details in order to make a simple yes or no determination!

Since you're not paying me for an in-depth ethical analysis, and such analysis would subject me to uncomfortable public ridicule, I will refrain from offering the general and encompassing answer to your question in this thread. Nevertheless, I thank you for bringing this dilemma up for discussion. Perhaps someone else here will manage to help you self-justify your desire to tap into a new market you can corner for yourself at the expense of manipulated folk in ill health

hmm...

PS if they have any straights, shoot me a pm!

20. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

One thing that noone has mentioned here the wisdom (or lack thereof) of entering into a nonmedical business transaction with a patient. It seems to me that the doctor-patient relationship is delicate enough, without creating occasions for possible disagreement and ill-feeling. I'd say it was best to leave the hobby out of the mix.

Best Regards

goshawk