Noxema?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by dmyers, Jan 27, 2010.

1. dmyers

dmyers Member

Anybody use Noxema as a pre shave? I am talking of the facial cream that used to (don't know if it still does) come in a small blue glass jar. Wonder if it would be possible to do so and how effective it would be to soften up ones beard? I used hair conditioner on my beard while in the shower this morning with positive effects.

2. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

I used to use the Noxzema cleansing cream as a preshave when I first started. It worked pretty well...but I believe what was helping the most was the menthol in it. But I've read many places that the cleansing cream is the equivalent of Proraso's preshave.

3. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I use it or rather a clone from Rite Aid everyday in my shave prep. I finish my shower and while still in the shower I apply a coating of it on my face and then wrap my face in a hot towel for a minute. Then I wipe the cream off my face, get out of the shower and shave away. Helps set up my beard a bit.

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Noxema as a face wash is excellent preshave, its incredibly moisturizing and its oils prep the face for shaving nicely, way better than soap. After reading about it I have used Nivea Creme as a preshave and it works better I think. Comes in the little metal tin or the large jars at Walmart. Slathered on sparingly as a preshave its very protective but is not slick which is noticeable but not functionally detrimental. As a preshave, Nivea worked better for me than Proraso preshave cream which is a great product as well.

Borderboss likes this.
  5. Steve Mack

Steve Mack Member

Pre-shave hype

I have come to the conclusion that there are a limited amount of substances suitable for this purpose. Therefore it is quite likely that many dedicated pre-shaves are something familiar to us with a different name and used for a different purpose.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Not me. Hot shower is my prep.

7. gman41

gman41 Member

Shave with Nivea

A guy I work with shaves with it, thats his cream of choice. For me it has always been about the after shave..the healing balm afterwards. I always felt the preshave was the cream properly applied.

8. sonnyrsg

sonnyrsg Member

I have used it as a pre-shave - then lather over it. Works great

9. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I've used Noxzema for some time now as a preshave. I add about 5-6 drops of 1 grapeseed oil; 3 tea tree oil; 4 almond oil; and 5 glycerin to the small blue jar and it works every well.

10. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

I've actually used the original Noxema face cream to shave with and thought it did quite nicely. All I did in terms of aftershave was a cold water splash afterwards and boy did my face feel cool and tingly and refreshed.

11. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

It is a nice reasonably priced product. For a little more of a 'kick' you can add a few drops of Menthol to it!

12. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Noxzema is okay as a preshave. Bed Bath & Beyond has a good selection of the product line. I use a facial wash in the shower.

13. Ray Settanta

Ray Settanta Well-Known Member

I have been using the Family Dollar Deep Cleansing Skin Cream which is similar but cheaper. Works just as well, for me, as the Proraso.

14. memoryleak

memoryleak Active Member

What's wrong with the multitude of dedicated preshave products that are out there?. I always viewed Noxema as some greasy goop a teenage girl or an aging spinster would smear on their face. :happy097:

15. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

My late father-in-law used Noxema as a shave cream for over 40 years. A manly man!