Little help please

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by wyatt46, Feb 4, 2010.

1. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

I have had this straight razor for some time.
    I was hopeful someone could date it for me.
    Any help would be appreciated.

It is a King Cutter (registered trademark)
    Manufactured by H Boker & Co

It is stamped " Germany Alemania " near the handle on one side.
    And stamped "Boker Arbolito Solingen " on the other side.
    I believe "Solingen " is where it was manufactured .

...Wyatt
    HPIM9267.jpg

And....... DAM it is damaged

HPIM9268.jpg

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :sad023 Yes it certainly is. Very sad.

Sorry I can't help you with your question. :o I just wanted to offer my condolences.

3. wyatt46

LOL and TY

Well thank you for the condolences.

And the humor at 2:25 in the morning (pacific time)
    is very refreshing.

4. Queen of Blades

You're welcome.

Humor? :confused:

We're in the same time zone. :)

5. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

The Spanish on the tang is the hint. Boker started marketing in South America early in the 20th century and stopped making razors in the 1940s, so I think that sometime around 1930 would be a safe bet. I've got one just like it, and it's a stellar shaver.

It's a shame about the chip, but those later Bokers are big blades, and I bet someone like Bill Ellis, or gsixgun here at the Den, could square that end up and leave enough blade to make a serviceable razor.

Welcome to the Den

goshawk

6. wyatt46

Thanks for the feedback.
    I wonder if reshaping the blade would take away from the value of the razor .
    Regardless I will look up these fellows.

7. Queen of Blades

But the etching. I guess salvaging the blade is better than just throwing it out, but I'd be floored if some of the etching didn't have to be sacrificed.

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I am sure it takes away value as compared to a full blade, but I don't think it is worth much in that condition. If it is a razor you would like to use, I would consider having it worked. Sorry though, that is a bummer.

9. wyatt46

I took the advice and reworked the end of the blade.
    I put a slight chamfer around the top end (cut end) of the Blade and ended up with a 1-3/4" working straight razor.
    View attachment 14478
    Comments and criticisms appreciated.

View attachment 14477
    Wyatt

10. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

just me...

don't think I don't appreciate vintage Items, but it seems to me like if you keep it in your shave kit it will just take up space, and you may never really use it. I would not throw it out its too cool, I would put it on my desk and use it to open mail packages. (all the shaving crap I buy on line) :D

11. MysteryRazor

MysteryRazor New Member

Tip repair

I am a little late with help here. This razor only had about 1/8 inch damage to the tip. But you can use this for an idea. When you grind a razor make sure the blade is pointed down in relation to the center line of the wheel. I grind from the center of the blade to the spine and hand diamond file from the center to the edge. Cool the blade with every grinding pass.-- Jay Mysteryrazor.com

Attached Files:

• 047.jpg
      047.jpg
      File size:
      29.7 KB
      Views:
  12. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

I just picked up a king cutter almost identical to this, this afternoon. Very nice looking setup, looking forward to learning how to use it!

13. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

Its a shame about it being damaged making it just about worthless as far as ebay and selling in the classifieds go. However, I don't throw away any old shaving equipment. You could still send it out and get it professionally done and honed up and shave with it or you could use the scales in another restore.

14. Sparticus 6/8

Sparticus 6/8 Member

Aww Man !!

I coulda' ground that and kept all the etching. Why why why did you butcher it like that. I'm kinda annoyed! :angry032

15. wyatt46

Butchered or not, its a fancy letter opener now.
    I have another King Cutter with a full blade I will gladly send to you to hone up for me.
    Maybe start my Str8 shaving experience with it.
    PM me your address over the pond and I will send it over.

16. Sparticus 6/8

Sparticus 6/8 Member

Hi Wyatt,
    Sure is nice of you to put your trust in me like that, sadly I have no hones at present. Wish I did because I would of loved to do that for you. Anyone else reading that can get Wyatt's razor shave ready? Please help this man get straight shaving !

17. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

You may as well get it honed and shave with it :) Just because the tip is gone doesn't mean it won't hold an edge

PS I agree with goshawk on the approximate age of 1910-1930s