Pondering a new purchase

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by revtriplep, Feb 5, 2010.

1. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

I'm reading alot on this forum and from discussions on soaps. Is Mama Bears that good of a soap, if it is I need to buy some and try for myself. I've been using Tabac and QED brands and really like them. Do I dare explore the other brands of soap from Mama Bears?:confused:

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Like most everything else 'round here, YMMV. I've tried Mama Bears and found it okay. Some folks absolutely love her soaps. The only way you're going to know is to try one.

While you're at it, you gotta give JoAnna's TSD soaps a try. I like them better than Mama Bears.

3. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Why not try new things? In my experience - the glycerin soaps, like MB's and QED are less expensive and hold scent better than the hard or triple milled soaps (Tabac being the exception). I do prefer the lather of the hard soaps like DR Harris, Trumper, etc.

Jordan

4. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

thanks for the info

5. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Here's another vote for JoAnna's TSD soap. I'm loving my first shave of the quarter soap. Great lather, great scent. $23/year for a new soap each quarter-that includes delivery.

If you'd like a unique but subtle scent try Crabtree and Evelyn's Nomad.

When I discover the name of the soap my barber gave me last month I'll post it but it's very nice. It's plain white and came in a cellophane wrapper. He told me he'd get back to me on who makes it, he just didn't remember. It makes a great lather and smells like.....soap.

6. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

I appreciate it.

7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

You might consider Institut Karite. I find it to be every bit as good as the Tabac.

8. cem

cem Guest

If you want to avoid preservatives and other chemicals, and prefer natural fragrances to synthetic ones, then MamaBear offers far and away the largest selection. Her soaps shave as well any but as with most vegetable-based soaps, the lather needs to have a good density of soap to provide full protection. You can whip up her soap into butter cream with lots of water and air but it shaves better if you keep it thick.

9. Empty Words

Empty Words New Member

Mama Bears soaps are about equal in performance to QED. So if you're looking for new scents, then try some Mama Bears soaps.

10. blacdisco2000

blacdisco2000 Member

I only try with QED and the scents are amazing unfortunately the glycerin soaps not is good for my face, Mama bear have many fans here and the price is a deal you should try one. ;)

11. Nickos

Nickos New Member

I'm sure i saw small 10ml samples of creams recently somewhere online.

Either way, i recommend we have a Samples forum where traders and the like can offer such a service.

EDIT: There is one, this site rules!!

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

13. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Kells Originals are amazing soaps. The quality of the lather is up there with the best. Prairie Creations are coming out with a lanolin version of their already awsome tallow soaps - Wool Fat beware.

14. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

For the price Mama Bear's soaps aren't bad and the tub has an inner shell, so even if you drop the bowl and it shatters, the inner section holding the soap is safe and unharmed. (Yes, I found out the hard way)