Kiss My GRITS

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by revtriplep, Feb 6, 2010.

1. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Gotta love them grits! Ya'll do know the other meaning of grits, don't ya?

G- girls
    R- raised
    I- in
    T- the
    S- south
    Yassir!

2. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I stand corrected from my previous stance - yes, these GRITS above are best with sugar....lots and lots and lots of sugar! [​IMG][​IMG]

3. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

Hey Griz, you got to get me that grits and greens caserrole recipe if you can, sounds good.

4. MN_Nick

MN_Nick Member

I'm from the North, but I have a great love for southern cooking.

I take my grits with salt and pepper at breakfast or with mixed in with whatever else is with breakfast. Any other time of day I like or shrimp and gravy, or garlic and Parmesan.

Never tried them with sugar, but I bet some brown sugar or maple syrup would be mighty tasty.

The above mentioned grits and greens sounds mighty fine to me.

5. CaptainDave

CaptainDave New Member

There are so many great recipes with grist, shrimp and grits or cheese grits done correctly are an amazing thing to behold. Remember it's just a different colored polenta. Grits can be a fairly elegant side dish in the hands of the right person.

For breakfast, I usually just toss a tad of butter with salt and pepper. Every once in a while I'll toss in some brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins for a nice change of pace.

6. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Lots of sweet butter and pepper.

sugar? really? Never saw anyone eat grits with sugar, but it sounds interesting. Though honey sounds a bit better to me.

7. Griz

Griz Member

Grits and Greens

Since a couple of you asked, here is the recipe for the Grits and Greens Casserole. This is not a low cholesterol dish, but it is worth saving up for.

2 Cups of dry grits either white or yellow are fine. Make the grits using chicken stock instead of water LESS 2 cups[/U][/U].(this will be about 6 cups of stock)

2 Cups of cream - Add to the stock to cook the grits.

2 large packages of chopped frozen Turnip Greens - Cook them in Chicken Stock in a seperate pot. Collards will work as well

1 Cup of shredded parmesan cheese (some people use up to 2 cups)

6 to 8 strips of bacon fried crisp

1/2 stick of butter.

Cook the grits using the cream and chicken stock, and cook them until they are creamy. Add more stock as needed while cooking to keep them from getting too thick. They should be thick but pourable. You do not need to add salt.

Cook the greens in the stock until tender, but not overly done. Drain them well and stir them into the grits along with the shredded parmesan cheese.

This should all fit into a 9X13 pan (greased). Cover with crumbled bacon and drizzle on the butter.

This is good stuff people. Enjoy.

Will N.

Bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes or until firm.

8. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

Thanx Griz for the recipe, sounds great!!

9. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

As told to me by a Southerner,"Grits is just a way to transport butter, salt, and pepper to your mouth." And that's how I eat them.

10. KiltedShaver

KiltedShaver Member

Coming from the heart of East Tennessee with opinions here. I love grits, and I've found the best way to eat them (IMHO, of course) is with salt pepper and butter, or salt pepper and cheese (cheddar preferably.) I have also tried sugar (meh.) and with a dollop of jelly/jam (pretty tasty!) Bacon with the cheddar makes a delicious breakfast.

Griz, thanks for that recipe, that looks grand!

Cheers,

Aaron

11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Well said! :happy096