Open comb shaving

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Steve Mack, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Steve Mack

Steve Mack Member

I'm sure some of you have discovered this already but to me it's a new discovery. While shaving with my Gillette NEW I discovered that after making a pass I could move the razor in reverse along the same path and re-deposit a nice amount of lather allowing a real good second and even third pass. I'm loving this razor more each time I use it. :D

2. MaxP

MaxP Member

Ah. The NEW with a Feather blade. One of my favorites!

Nice to hear yours treats you well.

3. UnklGus

UnklGus Member

The New was one of my first Razors and continues to be a favorite of mine as well!

4. wanders

wanders New Member

I have a Gillette New and I like the way it shaves but I find that it works best on a two day growth.

5. ek.310

ek.310 New Member

Congrats on the new shaving experience!

6. red71veloce

red71veloce Member

I loved mine so much I splurged on arguably the top dog of the "New Style" razors.....a Cooncat Bob Bull Mastiff with a replated head....the only razor I use now!

Tracy

7. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

I'm not really into the Open Comb thing :ashamed001

Way to agressive for me :D

8. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Tried my New for the first time yesterday. It tugged a bit but got a DFS. I used a Persona Red blade. I do like that it leaves enough lather on to clean up without lathering again. It was not as comfortable as a Tech, Slim, or my Merkur 38, but it was a different sensation and gave a DFS.

9. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

That's strange. I just used my NEW Standard for the first time last night. I used a Crystal Personna and was nearly BBS (can feel the neck isn't perfect). It's certainly the most aggressive razor I've ever used, but at the same time was readily tamed. I'll have to give it a few more shave and try a couple other blades before making a firm decision, but I'm impressed so far.

10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I just tried my NEW about 30 minutes ago and I found it to be aggressive but easily tamed too. I used an Iridium. I got an incredibly comfortable shave, DFS+, and only had one tiny nick on my moustache, which is an all too often occurance to begin with. My fault on that, not the razor. I just came off a week on the LUX and switching up and going to the NEW was like going from bed-ridden ill to fighting-weight in a matter of flipping a switch. The weight, the balance, the quality of the Gillette.....It was like butter. If I would have used a few more seconds I probably could have pulled off a BBS easily. Gotta love hindsight though....

11. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Hi all.

Well I just got my Merkur Open Comb (15c) in the mail today and am looking forward to trying it but my face is still pretty sore from last night's shave. I might need to give my face a rest.

12. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

So last night I went ahead and tried it out with rather mediocre results which I mainly attribute to the Merkur blade that came with it. I put a Persona in tonight and got a great shave with little irritation and only a few minor nicks.
    My neck is super sensitive and the shave tonight was one of the least irritating I've ever had. Likely due to the Persona as my skills are still not that great.
    So far I am pleased with this purchase.