Shaving as a hobby leads to 5 days of con-Fusion

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Slivovitz, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Mods, trust me, this doesn't belong in either the cartridge or safety razor forums, because it's not really about the Gillette Fusion. Bear with me.

I bought a manual Fusion from Amazon earlier this year. It came with two cartridges. I've been shaving with it for the past 5 days, which seems to have used up the first cartridge; I have no immediate plans to use the second. The shaves were a lot better than I expected, generally DFS, but seem to have left me with the kind of low grade irritation which I used to take for granted as just an inevitable part of shaving. Just as well, I'd have to sell half my razor collection to afford replacement cartridges.

So why would I take such a step backward? Shaving as a hobby. Shaving can be more than just a daily part of grooming, to be gotten over with as quickly as possible. It can be something that's interesting in itself, and which leads to experimentation.

I'd never shaved with more than a twin blade system. One reason that I'd stuck with the Atra as long as I did was that I saw no reason to pay more for more blades when I was already getting an acceptable shave. Then a search for deals on Atra cartridges led to the discovery that you could still get DE razors. That's led to SE and injector razors, brushes and soaps, and online communities like this one. It also led to the realization that shaving did not need to leave your face feeling irritated.

Now that I was interested in shaving, I was actually interested in what a shave with a Fusion would be like. Now I know. And tomorrow I'll shave with my G1 injector.

2. Sparticus 6/8

Sparticus 6/8 Member

Thats it man! Shave how you like! after all it is for you. I'm gonna try broken glass oneday for a laugh :D

3. JimR

JimR Active Member

Fair enough man...it's kind of like me wanting to try Caswell Massey Soap. I'm SURE it'll suck, but I still want to see what it's like.