Lanolin? WTH!

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Dridecker, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Talk about somebody having a :signs140!

I just found out that my favorite shave cream has lanolin in it!

I've been a huge fan of JoAnna's Wheat Cream since it was released, and a lot of it had to do with the fact that it contained wheat germ oil goodness for the skincare benefits, but I thought the extra goodness ended there.

But last night when I was chatting with her about some possible hand lotion for the wife, she casually mentioned that she had lanolin on hand.

"Lanolin?" I asked, "Sure, you seem surprised" JoAnna said, "You do know that I use it in my Wheat Cream don't you?"

:eek: Well I do now, along with feeling like a fool too! I even went to the store and double checked the ingredients list on the Wheat Cream page, not that I didn't trust her, but just to try to figure out how I could have possibly missed it!. :angry032

Long story short, I guess I should actually read the ingredients list better, I've been enjoying this cream since last June, without even realizing that it had sheep juice in it. :o

2. Tango

Tango New Member

ooops!

Thanks, I never knew what Lanolin was until reading your post. Now I feel informed and kinda grossed out all at the same time LOL. My dad,brother and I recently bought a few things from TSD and I am very happy with the quality and smells of the shave soaps I bought but I havent checked the ingredients in any of them. I don't know if I should now or not! LOL! Thanks for the laugh, Jason:happy102

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Umm... Then I would recommend you NOT look up Allantoin! :eek:

It is one of the ingredients that makes TSD aftershave so good. :)

4. Tango

Tango New Member

In that case I will take your word for it sir! I love a good hotdog and I have heard rumors about what's in them and for some reason I can't make myself read the ingredients.LOL I think I'm better off not knowing or I might not enjoy them as much! They sure are good though!!!

5. Steve Mack

Steve Mack Member

When I was a rookie cop I had traffic duty in the center of town at a major intersection. An oldtimer would relieve me for my breaks and lunch. At least 3 times a week a tanker truck would roll through and it had an unfamiliar but nasty odor about it. They were marked Essential Essence. I asked the oldtimer about them and what they contained. He told me "concentrated horse and cow pee, they use it to make perfume and cosmetics and such" I thought he was kidding me but I found out sometime later how right he was.

6. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I should have listened to you. I "Wikied" it. :eek:

7. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't think that there is anything to be grossed out about using a shaving soap or cream which has Lanolin in it. It is, after all, a natural product and, according to Wikipedia, "Most or all of the lanolin is removed from wool when it is processed into textiles, such as yarn or felt." It is not like someone would squeeze the juice out of some poor sheep or so. More info in the Wiki here. And, as far as I know, you can't get Lanolin out of Pee or Poo. So no worries there.

Those wet shavers who love their MWF soap so much know (or should know) that the wonderful soft touch and that 'nourrished' feel your facial skin has after a shave with MWF or Kent's soap is because of the Lanolin with which this soap is loaded.

But again, everybody has different likes and dislikes. It is just that I personally prefer using a Lanolin-loaded soap then a Paraben (or similar stuff)-loaded soap / cream. Much healthier in the long run.

8. DesertTime

I'm not much into creams, but I need to try TSD wheat cream.

9. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

Exactly - it's rare sheep are killed for their wool - its a by-product of washing the sheared wool.

10. DesertTime

Well, I ordered some Wheat cream in Sandlewood. I've been a fan of lanolin for a very long time and couldn't resist. I cannot believe how fast it got here. Thanks, JoAnna.

Usually, I wouldn't comment on a product until I tried it a few times. But I used this for my evening shave and was amazed. After using soaps for over 40 years I wasn't expecting much from a cream. My few experiments with creams over the years did little more than reinforce my fondness for soaps. This stuff is different.

It doesn't lather as easily as TOBS, but it's easy to figure out. Using a super badger brush, I developed some very nice, cushioning lather. It's not creamy like a Tabac or MWF, but fairly dense. The real surprise was during the shave. My vintage SS holding a third-shave Derby glided smoothly over my face.

I have to second Bill's opinion. Great cream. Well done, JoAnna.

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Thanks, Dennis! Glad you liked it. :)

12. rrp1501

rrp1501 New Member

Lanolin gives your soap or creams an excellent moisturizing/conditioning property that helps the razor glide accross the face and leaves your skin feeling softer than if it was missing from the soap. It is an abundant oil that is found in the wool of sheep. When they are sheared for their wool, it is extracted from it by washing. If you ever are around any sheep, give their wool a good rub and then feel your hand, you'll find a slick, almost greasey feel to it.

13. beyboo

beyboo New Member

While both Lanolin and Allantoin would have its origins as animal secretions, would there be artificial sources for the same ?

14. rrp1501

rrp1501 New Member

Lanolin is also the secret ingredient in the ever popular "Oil of Olay"!

15. erictski

erictski Member

my wife uses your original shave cream but still she has trouble with razor burn...would this be a good product to have her try...sounds like the wheat cream is even more moisturizing and protecting...

PS. Its not your original creams fault she gets the burn..i think its her mach 3 blade (she doesnt like using the DE I got her) ... because i love your cream...thanks