Shaved with a Derby! Interesting Results!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by iamdarkangel2005, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Hello all,

So yesterday I decided to shave with a Derby for the first time. I am not a big fan of the blades, but might as well try them. I unfortunately carry the verticals as i guess most vendors now. So, I now undertand that a blade must be corked or past through a styrofoam (not sure if spelled correctly).

So, I did my first lather with a badger brush, then I put on my razor (weishi).

First shave was very rough! Out of all the blades that I have tried, like Astra, IP, Red, Lord, Treet, Dorco, Supermax. It was the roughest and even as I didn't have much hair on the face. It was a tug and pull, I decided to shave slowly. Ended with a few missing hairs here and there. So I lather fully once again and had a second pass, this time the blade was getting better and was able to clean the missing areas. 3rd and final lather, blade was increadably good, smooth and soft as I passed the blades. Left a very nice bbs feel to it. After I put some after shave "subzero" from TSD. I must say "wow" No irritation, no burn. I must say this is interesting, why? Well, with other blades ASTRA, IP, RED IP, Dorco, Lord, Treet and SuperMax. I only do 2 passes, but I am left with red spots in face and putting the aftershave just burns more. So I was actually happy with the results, even with an extra pass no irritation means a great shave overall.

I did use the palm technique with the blade but still didn't work out as the corking technique. I will try corking next time and see how it goes.

My past deals with Derby wasn't great, but now I am happy to say it was great. I guess I will have to talk to my barber and try out the blade again after the haircut. It could be his technique that got me irritated!

Dark

2. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

Thanks for the report.

3. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

That is interesting. This is the first I've read about having to cork one before use, but I haven't been keeping up with the latest trends. I haven't had any bad results with the "vertical" Derby blades. The ones I have are just like my old ones - a decent blade, but nothing to write home about..

4. ek.310

ek.310 New Member

I also read posts on other shave sites about corking..but I was told later corking n palm stropping yer blades is the same result..in fact..corking COULD wipe off the coating:confused: YMMV IMOO

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Glad to hear they're working for you!
    They just don't for me. Seems like they always irritate my neck.

6. w3wizard

w3wizard New Member

Thanks to this post I was inclined to research what a "vertical" Derby was. After finding out the problems others have had, and still being new to wet-shaving and preferring not to waste time and money on a product that may give me trouble, I decided to avoid Derbys for now. I decided to try Crystals instead.

7. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

You may be missing out on the perfect blade for you. When it come to certain products, blades especially, there is a huge variance among users -- this is truly an area of YMMV. For each person that dislikes a Derby, for example, you'll find at least an equal number who claim it as their "go-to" blade.

The best advice, and the one thing suggested the most on this forum, is to get a sample pack and try them all. You are the best critic of what blade is best for you.

8. This is very true! My opinion may be different from someone else. I do suggest this and once you find a blade that you like, you can use it often.

Great Advise!

Here is link to let you guys know what is the difference in Derby Horizontal and Vertical.

Derby Differences!

9. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

I agree with swarden3, Derby's just don't do good for me, they drag and burn and don't cut the hairs that great.

10. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Please say it ain't so. I am shaving my way through a pack of Derbys right now, my favorite blade. Could the "vertical" Derbys be fakes? Derby had the blade thing dialed in IMO. If the verticals are genuine, it might be worthwhile to write to Derby and let them know their old style blades were much appreciated. It might persuade them to bring the old style blades back.

11. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Interesting.

I have not been too fond of the Derbys either. I had one blade that was not fully sharp across the edge resulting in a terrible shave and the others I've used have been pretty mediocre.

Turns out I have 7 packs of verticals. I will try the cork method as I cannot get palm stropping to work for me at all.

12. I can guarantee that this Derby Verticals aren't fake. Every seller who has received new merchandise will get the verticals. I guess this is a manufacture thing.

Today, I had another go at the blade and it was a great shave. Same as the 3rd trial from first shave. Still no burns or irriation! I am very surprised! I also converted my father in law to wetshaving and he never tried a derby blade. I gave him one blade and I am happy to report that he enjoyed hi shave. He said it was the sharpest blade i have given him.

Regarding into persuading derby into bringing back the old ones. I think someone else was doing this already. But unfortunatelly with no results.

I think that the new blades are coated for some reason and that is why they feel too harsh on first shave. I just don't know the reason. My theory is that since they travel a long way through the Sea, I think it would prevent from blades getting rusted. Humidity could be a factor.

Dark

13. TimV

TimV Member

Read so much positive press on the Derby blades, so I bought some to try. After the second blade I gave them away, very disappointing, they were brutal on my neck.

14. RacerX

RacerX New Member

Hi,

My results are sadly similar to some of the others here.

I just bought 200 Derbys online, and was anxious to get them.
    what a let down.

I am a male, 48 years old who has never used anything to shave with besides a real razor.

my Grandfather gave me a Gillette fat boy when I started shaving as a teenager. I shaved with this until I was 26-27 years old. I was then given by my Aunt my first Injector razor. (very early model, bakelite, and swivel open head) since then, I used the Injector mostly, with the fatboy as an occasional shaver.

as most of you know, the last 10 years have been hard to get blades for either razor.

I just bought online 200 of the derby "new" style blades.
    what a shock! they are worse than the Walgreens house brand I was buying before. they are tearing my face up.

I just got these a few days ago, and wish I could send them back. I only know wetshaving, and these are a poor excuse for a blade. I'm now looking for vintage blades online, as the new blades out there seem to be a mach 3 marketing ploy! "I have never had to cork even "generic" house brand blades before.

are there any good blades to be bought online? I did a bit of research and thought the Derbys were O.K. but it seems I was wrong.

Thanks,

Steve

15. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

OK, time for another newbie question. What is corking?

16. RacerX

RacerX New Member

Corking is running the edge of a blade through a wine cork. I just learned this not to long ago myself :)

I was "stropping on hand" for years before I found this out, so dont feel bad.

truth be known, I would strop my SR or blades on my leg when wearing jeans which worked well for me, anyway :) and I thought I was un kosher. LOL!

17. Shaver X

No, you were right, the were darned good. Sorry to hear you got lousy blades. There are other good blades, however. Iridiums are great blades, as are the Super Max Platinum and Gillette 7 O'clock Permasharp (green wrapper). The Egyptian blades such as Racer, Lord and Rainbow seem to be well liked. The Rainbow Super Stainless and Big Ben are very good. All IMHO, as your mileage may vary.

The best way to find good blades is to buy a sampler or create one of your own by buying various 5- and 10-packs. That way if a particular blade changes or becomes unavailable, there will be others that can take its place.

18. RacerX

RacerX New Member

Thank you for your response. what blades would you suggest I buy in a bulk, type purchase?
    25-50 at a time?
    I am sorry I am so new at this. I had blued blades till a couple years ago.

19. Shaver X

If your are just starting out, I recommend trying a number of different blades rather than making a bulk purchase. I just bought various packs of blades, usually 8-10 packs at a time, and tried them out. Here are the blades that worked best for me:

- Big Ben Super Stainless
    - Derby Extra (old style)
    - Dorco ST-300
    - Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (black wrapper)
    - Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp (green wrapper)
    - Iridium Super Extra Stainless
    - Rainbow Super Stainless
    - Super-Max Platinum
    - Tiger Superior Stainless

Not quite as good as the above, but still pretty good, are:

- Personna Platinum Super Stainless
    - Treet Dura-Sharp Silver Edge Super Stainless
    - Treet Platinum Super Stainless

Once you find what works best for you (and it may be quite different than what works best for someone else), you will know which blades to buy in bulk.

20. Skipnord

Skipnord New Member

I've been using a DE for about 3 months, and as my technique improved, I find I really like Feathers. My favorite razors are my Merkur with a custom handle and my Fatboy - I like Feathers in both.