First time with vintage razors

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by captbart, Mar 27, 2010.

1. captbart

captbart New Member

Okay gents, will need a few suggestions. First attempt was with a 1912 gem and colgate soap. The soap lather was thin and dried up fast and the razor with cvs brand (made by the same people that make the gem blades) left alot of stubble.I tried adjusting the angle and it still left much to be desired. The second day I tried the Clix razor with the cvs brand blades and the colgate shaving soap and it was better but still did not beat the normal atra and colgate soap. I will try some different soap soon to see if that helps. Also tried some Gillette shave cream and that was a terrible experience for sure. What do you suggest?

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Another soap! Some people use that and Williams and have to fight for good lather and it takes a little bit of practice to make it work. Also, if you are using pressure with that 1912 that could explain the less than comfortable experience.

Not familiar with the Clix.

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I haven't had the chance to try the Colgate shave soap, but I have a feeling that it needs a technique like you would use on Williams soap. So here is a video of how Justin lathers Williams to help you out. (I hope)

Maybe Mike will come along and clarify how to lather it, I'm pretty sure he uses it sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqucNXP7c8Y

How many passes did you make in your attempts? What brush are you using?

I love my Clix, it ranks as one of my all time favs.

4. captbart

captbart New Member

Its an old ever ready brush and I made 2 passes. Will try it like the guy in the video.

5. captbart

captbart New Member

Okay now I think I could get anything to lather.....that worked wonders...had lots of lather that lasted along time,just had to do it right. Shaved with the Clix and had a good shave with the Cvs blades. Will try the Gem in a day or 2 . must remember not to use pressure which sounds strange.

6. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

yep. I have a puck of Colgate in rotation. I see you already figured out how to lather it, which is good 'cause my advice doesn't seem to work for anyone but me.

where'd you find colgate shave soap? It's out of production and I'm always interested in finding another puck.

7. captbart

captbart New Member

it was in a close out bin at the local pharmacy......5.00 for it and 4 packs of atra blades and a tube of gillette shave cream. wish they had more

8. RacerX

RacerX New Member

Very interesting.

when i use a cake soap, Williams is what I use

I never get it to foam like you have in your video. this is very informative.

we use regular Ivory soap in my household, and that works better than Williams for me. I cut Ivory soap bars like my grand dad did.

1 ivory soap bar cut in half, is for showering.

an Ivory soap bar cut in quarters, you work against your face.

1/4 of an Ivory soap bar can shave, and wash your face.

edited to add;

Ivory soap works better than any mug soap in my opinion.

9. captbart

captbart New Member

Ive got some Ivory soap........will give it a go