Injector razors

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Hairy Alaskan, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I got a couple old injectors coming in the mail soon. I won these two on eBay for 2.99. Apparently these particular ones must not be that popular. I think they are the "J" types. I'd appreciate any info or recommendations folks have on using these.

Thanks.

Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

2. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

The razor on the left is an Schick type I1 injector made by Eversharp Inc from 1955-1958.

The one on the right is a Schick type J1 also by Eversharp Inc and produced from 1958-1964.

The head on each razor seems to be the same. Just handle differences.

Enjoy them and let us know how the work for ya.

3. Hairy Alaskan

Thanks for the info.

4. Hairy Alaskan

So frustrated!!!!!

I received the razors today but the local stores that had injector blades have stopped carrying them in the past 2-weeks. I went all over town with no luck. I might have to order them and wait even longer before I can try these razors out.

AAARGH!!!!

5. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

They look beautiful...nice score, don't know why they wouldn't be popular...They should be GREAT shavers...the one on the left is just like the razor I learned on...Mine was the Hydro-magic...But that doesn't affect the shave at all, and you really don't need that...In fact later they drop the Hydro-magic thing and only kept it on the Lady-Shaver...The shave with these is excellent...They got the blade gap, and the shaving angle spot on...Truly a Classic...Enjoy...I'm getting jealous :))

6. Hairy Alaskan

Well I scowered the town even further over the past few days with no luck. Had to brerak down and order some blades off eBay. Fortunately the prices were pretty good. Unfortunately I have to wait a while longer before I can try these razors out. My wife thinks I'm crazy for being so obsessed with finding these razor blades. I've probably put 60 miles on my car this week trying to find a store that still carries Injector Blades.

Does anyone know if "Hair Shaper" blades sold for shavette hair cutting razors will fit in an Injector razor? I asked the folks at Sally Beauty but they had no idea what I was talking about.

7. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Your eBay blades may be fine. I think most currently manufactured injector blades are decent quality as far as the blades themselves go. The real problem is the part plastic magazines that most of them come in. Won't align without twisting, and can fall apart in your hand if you aren't careful.

I recommend this kind of blade if you have trouble with others, just because of the sturdier all metal magazine. Costs a bit more, but for me at least, injector blades last twice as long as most DEs.

Good luck! Once you get the blade angle right, injectors are great shavers.

Oh, no idea about the hair shaper blades, but I'd try proper injector blades first. Then if you want to buy some of the others, you can compare them side by side.

8. Hairy Alaskan

I probably should have explained that I bought a pack each of Schick and Personna Injector blades.
    Thanks for the warning on the plastic housing. I can't tell from the photo but I think the Personna pack is plastic. If I like the Schicks I'll order the multi-pack from Amazon. I don't want to risk it quite yet.

9. Hairy Alaskan

Finally got some blades in the mail after my new razors have been sitting around for over a week.
    My first shave was quite impressive. Very mild and easy on the face. I used a Snyder Platinum Chrome blade which was claimed to be a store brand blade made by Schick. Don't know if this is true but the blade was plenty sharp. I have a pack of Schicks I will try next to compare.

Very happy with this purchase.

10. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Glad it went so well for you. Looks like you found the right shaving angle. :happy005

11. RacerX

RacerX New Member

The Shick injectors are Gods gift to us mere mortals.
    you WILL of course realize this after a brief epiphany.

I have shaved ONLY, in my 47 years with a real razor.

my first 10 or 12 years were with my fatboy, which, I still have and shave with occasionally.

the last 20 years of my life I have used an old 30's era Bakelite handled injector.

2 passes.

when you go s to n on a second pass sometime in your very near future, you will hear the Angels sing. you will also be stubble free for what will seem to be an eternity.

my Granddad growing up had a black handled later model injector, that is similar to the ones you are using. I don't remember ever trying it though.

12. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

i just nabbed an adjustable injector on ebay...should have it this week. cant wait to try it out.

13. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

That was a popular razor back in the day...

I had one injector razor, a "Stick Schick" around 1974 and didn't have much luck with it. Really irritated my face and left behind stubble.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

178-bplatoon likes this.
  14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Congrats Hairy Alaskan "GREAT" score especially for $2.99..:happy096:I have several injectors myself. Your Type I is a birth year razor for me, very nice mild shaver...I find the earlier models a little more aggressive and give me a closer shave however YMMV.....:)