i cant believe it!..but its true if your brainwashed!

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by ek.310, Apr 2, 2010.

1. ek.310

ek.310 New Member

2. Jeltz

Jeltz Well-Known Member

Evil wears many masks.

3. TimV

TimV Member

Terrible situation to say the least, neither party has too much to be proud of in this situation. The Snyder's sued the church not the organization doing the picketing, do you think there was an ulterior motive for that approach? The picketers have no respect for the grieving family nor the dead, disgusting to say the least. Unfortunately this story is a statement of what our society has evolved to, that's nothing to be to proud of either.

4. 59caddy

59caddy New Member

PLEASE, MARK MY WORDS, things are only going to get worse!!!!

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

These douchebags have been doing this for years. Constitutionally they are not wrong though, which is why they won the suit, NOT because of any of the current political stuff. The most effective thing I saw to thwart them was down in Daytona Beach a bunch of bikers caught wind of it and set up a perimeter to where the family couldn't see.

It isn't evil though, they believe the same stuff as the majority of the country (the US anyhow). And depending on how you read your bibles, they are within doctrine to make the claims they do. Its all in the stretch.

Tasteless for sure.

6. JimR

JimR Active Member

WBC is basically made up of the Phelps family, and several of the Phelps family are lawyers. Their every intent is to get sued, and to win. The are, in fact, constitutionally allowed to do what they do...and that's all they care about.

7. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

+1

8. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I can't imagine the anger that family must have felt.

9. AJP

AJP New Member

I have come to expect this type of rubbishy law decision from courts in the UK, but i would NEVER have expected to see that from your side of the water!

Tit for tat, when there are a bunch of marines on leave, get them to go and protest at one of the congregation meetings! See how long that is accepted!

10. Luziana_Geezer

That's a thought, but the military doesn't take kindly to its servicemen making a spectacle of themselves.

11. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Being a career GI, I was quite disappointed by this ruling. I once had a good friend who was a Vietnam veteran Marine (part of the Khe Sahn siege.) For a college class I did an interview with him about his experience in Vietnam. Great stories (and I got an A on the paper.) During this interview, we got to a discussion of his homecoming. Apparently he landed in San Francisco somewhere around midnight and was greeted by a bunch of hippys who proceeded to throw dog crap all over him and several of his comrads. I doubt I'll ever forget his comments about this incident. He said, "At first I was a little confused about the whole thing, then I went straight to totally pissed off. For years I carried that anger around, and let the actions of a few misguided individuals have way too much power over how I felt about myself, my country and the whole experience in Vietnam. Then one day it occurred to me that if I was putting my ass on the line for anything in Vietnam it was these people's right to speak their mind freely (however unpopular or distasteful their viewpoints may have been.)

He was clearly an exceptional human being and I doubt I could (or would) be that gracious or that forgiving of such an act. Sure, these people have freedom of speech from the Constitution and they're certainly more than welcome to think anything they want to about the wars we fight. Seriously though, it seems like they could find a better forum to voice their opinions than at a fallen GI's funeral. If that's not bad enough, this kids Dad has to now pay these idiots' legal expenses for interferring with his right to peaceably morn his son's death!? Yet another example of "the experts" totally pulling something appallingly stupid. I can't believe this decision made sense to anyone with an ounce of legal acumen, let alone any discernable sense of dignity and right and wrong. It would seem they could nail these people with disturbing the peace or something. If as a country we had any class left, every state, city, and municipality in this country would make a permit to demonstrate within 10 miles of a military cemetery cost about $6 million. Simple rule, no permit no demonstration within 10 miles. This would maintain the peace and dignity anyone who has paid the ultimate price (and the surviivng members of their family) deserve while not denying anyone (even idiots) their Constitutional right to free speech. If memory serves, the city of Skokie. Illinois ( a predominantly Jewish city) used this tactic to keep the American Nazi Party from marching in their town back in the late 70s. Unfortunately, what's right and wrong simply don't seem to be as important these days than it was just 35 years or so ago. Political correctness seems to have resulted in an environment where right and wrong simply don't exist any more. In modern America, these hooligans screaming obscenities and disrupting this young hero's funeral are every bit as valuable as the hero himself. Sad when you think about it, our national character and identity (the same that this kid died trying to defend) is literally dying before our very eyes. I guess this is as good a treatment as the few brave that are left in the home of the brave deserve, according to our courts and politicians.

12. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Very well put sir. I grew up in Skokie and live there now. They actually did not stop the Neo-Nazis from marching-they won that right in court. There was a mob of angry people-mostly Holocaust survivors and their families-waiting for them and they wisely backed off. I was 14 years old on my bicycle with a sling-shot and some rocks in my pocket. I was actually disappointed that they never showed up. Looking back on it, it was good for everybody involved that they didn't show up-there would have been blood. That incident inspired the Holocaust Museum which opened in Skokie last year-it's extremely well done. My family and I got a 4 hour tour of that museum a few months ago. It was incredibly draining but fascinating. As much as I revere the constitution it is difficult for me to comprehend any justice in allowing protesters to disturb the peace of a family mourning a soldier who died for his country.

13. Junior

Junior New Member

Those people are sick. To disrupt a grieving family at a funeral to gain media attention is deplorable. May the God they pray to smite THEM!

14. Luziana_Geezer

It's clear to me that we think alike. I didn't make a career of the military but my dad did and I'm happy that he isn't alive to see what's happened to the USA. It saddens me that at least two of my oldest friends see nothing wrong with this.

15. nickyd

nickyd New Member

+1

16. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

If you really want to be irritated about the whole damn thing, consider the fact that the government indirectly subsidizes these clowns via church related tax exemptions. Their tax exempt status should be immediately revoked. Not that I have any problem with tax exemptions for legitimate churches but this "church" is clearly a cover for a bunch of militant nut jobs. Their banal remarks and obvious hostility and intolerance suggest that maybe they just haven't read their Bibles very closely. Anyone who distorts religion to justify any unreligious, brutal or hurtful act just plain irritates me (even if dead young GIs aren't involved.)