Engraving practice

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Mackie, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Mackie

Mackie Member

Here is a razor I just finished engraving the handles on. I am having a lot of fun doing this.

Attached Files:

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice work!

I like your avatar, also.

3. ek.310

ek.310 New Member

hehe..you wanna engrave my SE/DE handles too!?..:.heck of a challenge there bud!....:happy102

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Awesome job! :happy088

5. TimV

TimV Member

you have a real talet, looks great.

6. rwb

rwb Member

i like this work it looks great, can you do this on razors that are assembled or on scales first.

7. Mackie

Mackie Member

Either way but it is easier to hold it if the blade is not on yet.

8. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Very nice work, especially since it is all freehand!

9. Mackie

Mackie Member

I'm thinking of doing some custom work in the future, maybe names, monagrams, pics and such. I am currently practicing cutting letters and dragons and grim reapers and such. I am having a lot of fun with it. I have been mostly doing scrolls until now. Thanks for all the wonderful comments everyone.

10. RacerX

RacerX New Member

Looks great. how long have you been doing this?

in the future, I am thinking of having some 1911 grips scrimed. are you doing work for clients yet?

11. Mackie

Mackie Member

Not yet. Send me a pm in a month. But I do not do scrim, I do engraving which is deeper. And thanks. Mack

12. RacerX

RacerX New Member

Is engraving, rather than scrimshawing, meaning a different materiel would be needed?

I am looking at having a "Bonded Ivory" for grip materiel.

13. Mackie

Mackie Member

Schrimshaw is scratching the surface lightly with a tool like a needle, and engraving is done with a chisel and small hammer Like these in the same manner as scrimshaw, eccept that cuts deeper. And carving removes the background, leaving a raised surface for the design. Engraving can be done on soft steel or any soft metal or smooth dense material like micarta or plastic, and is common on firearms. I learned to engrave on brass. I made these engraving tools and this is what I use. There is a newer method that uses pneumatic tools but they are very expensive. Way beyond my financial possibility.

Attached Files: